Project Thread Supercharged Supra

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.
T minus 10 days, and counting 'till D-Day (dyno day).

As you can see, I'm accumulating a few goodies for the next dyno session.

We'll have the supercharger, EFI, meth/water injection, EMS, etc. This will be the moment of truth for this motor; we should make at least 500 BHP or break something trying.

But wait.......there's more.......Mitch Pederson, our own Lextreme member and world renowned AEM guru is flying in from LA to tune it.

Stay tuned for pics & videos

Scott, yours has me pretty switched on too. I'm really interested in hearing about how yours drives with that clutch flywheel combo after all you've done to make it work well.

I think we're all looking for that perfect clutch & flywheel combination.

Here's my wish list:

1. Light pedal

2. Clutch slips like butter on toast

3. Flywheel has enough inertia that you can let out the clutch and get the car rolling, without giving it any gas

4. No drama on inclines

5. Will hold as much torque as I can throw at it

Scott, yours has me pretty switched on too. I'm really interested in hearing about how yours drives with that clutch flywheel combo after all you've done to make it work well.

I think we're all looking for that perfect clutch & flywheel combination.

Here's my wish list:

1. Light pedal

2. Clutch slips like butter on toast

3. Flywheel has enough inertia that you can let out the clutch and get the car rolling, without giving it any gas

4. No drama on inclines

5. Will hold as much torque as I can throw at it

I will let you know for sure. It is getting close. I expect to have some driving results in the next couple weeks. Right now I am waiting on a custom drive shaft as I finish up some details of the install. I am doing several other items to the car along with this transmission so it is taking longer than I expected.

Once I get the car back running again then I am going back into it for fuel upgrades, Engine management upgrades and a few more pounds boost. This should complete my stage 1. At that point I should have all the ground work laid for stage 2, a Forged internal 4.7 with a new screw type charger. That’s most likely an end of summer adventure.

No kidding; Scott's is going to be a real monster soon!

I've got a hunch the Getrags are finally going to meet their match with some of these supercharged torque monster motors being built.

No kidding; Scott's is going to be a real monster soon!

I've got a hunch the Getrags are finally going to meet their match with some of these supercharged torque monster motors being built.
His is already a monster to most of factory sporty cars on the street, except some real hi-end sports cars.

T minus 9

Some more goodies I've been accumulating. Look at that ECU fly lead - this was made by Richard Welch of Autosport Wiring http://www.autosportwiring.com/ Richard is an electrical/electronics maintenance guy for a major airline and his cottage business is producing these "better than OEM quality" patch harnesses. This is how you can get your XYZ ECU to plug into your ABC harness. No hacking the OEM harness anymore!

The other cool piece is the little cam sensor bracket. This comes from the 2UZ motor. When you decide you want to dump your dizzies and go crank trigger for the ignition, but still need to keep a cam sensor (for sequential injection) this is an elegant little way to do it. Of course it's still possible to use one of the old distributor brackets and just cut it and machine it, but this is smaller and looks better.

Then there's the dual channel (one channel for each bank of cylinders) AEM wideband AFR controller. I've looked at all the units on the market and none had the range this one does. This little puppy will read down to 0.55 Lambda (8.0:1 AFR on gasoline). All the rest stop at 10:1 or 9.5:1.

Why would anyone want to run an engine at 8:1? Excellent question, and I'd like to know the answer too, but I've got over $3500 in bills to prove what happens when you do.

When someone is breaking in a new motor and "thinks" they're "safe" because they're only running at 10:1 but the AFR controller is actually pegged because it can't read any lower, things get expensive quickly. That ain't gonna happen with this controller.

The last interesting bit is the little pump. That's a 15 bar, stainless steel pump with PWM controller that purportedly came out of a dialysis machine. Couldn't help myself when I saw it on eBay for $65, it was just too cool. Maybe it'll find a home in my M/W injection system, but if not, I've got a couple of little 12 bar pumps for expresso machines coming that might work. Who knows, if none of these work, maybe I can set up a dialysis center and serve expresso.... The UPS guy just shakes his head when he makes his deliveries to my house. He knows I'm a little nutty, but that dialysis pump really had him going.

The last pic is just the rope, soap & dope to wire the motor up. I can't say enough good about McMaster Carr & Co. www.mcmaster.com. WHATEVER you need for whatever project you're doing, they have it, and if you're in the lower 48, you can get it the next day. This place makes Home Depot, Lowe's and all the Ace Hardwares look amateurish. I'm soooo glad these people don't have a retail store here in Houston - if they did, my family would never see me.

John, I was thinking about utilizing the pump comes in the "5 stage water filter" used for home. Its rated at 90 PSI and has a pressure control and its runs on 24v DC … IMO it will work for the M/W injector. the price for such pump is about 30 USD .. the only problem I can see is to prepare 24v DC by DC To DC converter or voltage doublers

Boxes of new stuff are so cool.
I often go through my boxes of new parts waiting to go on my project, just to give me inspiration to keep on perservering with things.
(I love nice new parts).
Cheers.

Some people have even been known to sleep with their brand new M&W ignitions. Now that's hard core ;-) My problem is trying to remember where I've stashed all the stuff when it's finally time to use it.

My expresso (M/W injection) pumps arrived today; here's a pic of one. These are supposed to be good for 250ml/min at 10 bar, so I figure two of these in parallel will be more than enough M/W injection for 600 HP. And they were only $40 each. Too cool if they work - the only problem is they need 120 VAC, so I've got to get a 12v to 120v inverter, then figure a way to PWM the output. Bought these from the very nice, helpful folks at http://www.fluid-o-tech.com/

mshawari, I'm not familiar with that pump, but if it's 90 psi or over, it should work OK. I'm no M/W expert, but I plan to try a couple of configurations to see which I like best. So far, I have the dialysis pump (which is also a 24v setup), the expresso pumps (which will be 120v), and a 150psi, 12v Shurflo pump that I'll be testing.

I've got to say these little expresso pumps have the rest beat as far as packaging goes. They're very compact and efficient - only 70 watts.

John,

Pretty soon I will be collecting parts just like you. I got an AEM EMS from DaveH and so far he has been a great help.

attachment.php

Do you know the flow rate of the dialysis pump John?

My setup runs around 300cc/min and is pretty conservative in terms of flow as i already have the huge FMIC. I guestimate you will want something upwards of 350cc/min using at least 2 nozzles.

If by chance you don't go with the surflow i'll be happy to take it off your hands. My current pump is a 120psi model and i wouldn't mind stepping up to the 150psi as i'll be looking to add a 3rd nozzle to my setup (one pre SC and x2 post).

The two pros going AEM, Makes me rethink the path I have chosen.

John, I am absolutly stoked for you Dyno results not to mention you paving the way for others to follow your outside the box ideas. Good stuff indeed!

David, now you need to start looking for a good WB O2 controller. There's a number of good ones on the market, but not that many offer the dual channel configuration for the V8 motor, and none I found have the range of the AEM.

Justen, the dialysis pump has the following maximum flowrates @ a constant speed of 1725 rpm, and with the PWM controller, I'm assuming it'll turndown to nearly any percentage of these flows. Motor is rated 10 amps @ 24VDC (0.124 kW) You'll of course be welcome to the Shurflo if I don't use it; frankly, I'm favoring these little expresso pumps if they work. The dialysis pump is way cool, but it's bulky. It might work well for a trunk mounted setup, however Supra's don't have much of a boot. Maybe Scott would like to have the coolest M/W pump on the market in his boot.

1820 ml/min @ 17.25 bar
1950 ml/min @ 13.75 bar
2079 ml/min @ 10.50 bar
2205 ml/min @ 6.89 bar

Trev, you've just given me an idea for a new place to stash parts. Hide them right under wifey's errr nose.

Scott, I've been using the AEM in my 2JZ Supra since 2003, so for me, the decision was economic - reuse the ECU I already had, plus I'm already familiar with it, even though the instruction manual comes out nearly every time I tweak something because I've forgotten how to do it. I'd like to think I'm not a poster child for AEM, but for the Supra & SC cars it just seems like it's one of the least painful to install and get going.