Supercharged Cressida - take 5

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

V883

I wanted to make sure that everything was done and I was happy with the engine before I posted because man, oh man, have I had some hassles getting this far. I could tell you stories for hours (and I probably will) about what it took to get me this far but here I am.

Final Result.

230 rwkw

880+ rwnm

Eaton M90 is pushing out 11.5 psi

Water Injection system fitted (water/methonal capable)

Much more to tell but for now, here are some pics and a few vids I took along the way.

v8cressida.com-blown1uz230rwkw-880nm3.jpg

v8cressida.com-blown1uz230rwkw-880nm-2.jpg

v8cressida.com-blown1uz230rwkw-880nm-1.jpg

In this video (above), you can here the chattering (loud isn't it?) that you get when you don't preload the exhaust cam gear. It was suggested that it might be the stiffer valve springs causing the tapping. I drove it this way (including dyno runs a plenty) for over 6,000 kms! My local mechanic fixed it in 3 hours (the blower had to come off) after it was suggested that that's what it had to be. It was and now the engine is as smooth and quiet as a stock engine. The headaches and cost that caused me was unbelievable. I drove from Adelaide to Sydney to have it seen to under warranty but they gave it back the same. Sad story but with a good ending.

In this dyno room we achieved 230rwkw and over 880rwnm with 11.5psi and water injection. The sounds are ok but to hear this car revving out to redline live is something else.

If anyone in Adelaide wants to get together, I'll be glad to talk for hours about it. I have heaps of photos and so much to tell you guys but let's start by my taking a few questions...lol

Yes, it's awesome to drive! Smoke at will (at last) and it feels really strong. Please don't ask how much it cost. The answer will always be about 3 times more than it should have. However, putting that aside, it's a great car and a pleasure to drive in all conditions. I'll get some better shots up soon and some more vids including one so you can hear the chattering of the cam gears is gone.

Any opinions on how much engine horsepower might be with 230rwkw? Did I get to 430hp (even though I had to push it to 11.5psi and use water injection to do it...sigh)? Here's the way I would begin to look at it judging from the answers I've been getting lately. Firstly, no one agrees but...

It's accepted there is a loss through the drive train. That loss varies from 15% - 30% depending on who I ask (and it's ALWAYS different...lol). Let's take 25% as an optimistic value.

230 reaches the wheels so I would divide 230 by 75 and multiply by 100 = 306 fwkw. 306 kw = 410hp. So...

If you think there is a 25% loss through the drive line that lowers the power at the flywheel down to 306 fwkw or 380 fwhp.

If you think there is only a 20% loss through the drive line that lowers the power at the flywheel down to 287 fwkw or 380hp

If you think there could be up to a 30% loss of power through the drive line that ups the flywheel power to about 328kw or 439hp.

I have no idea and I suppose the only way to even speculate is from experience of which I have little. I hope you all agree it's a 30% loss...but I'd settle for the 25%...hoping that 20% is not popular. But, it growls and covers real estate like we gulp air at the end of a running race and that was my main goal...that and plenty of throttle based wheel spin (I'm a thrasher and proud of it, what can I say) . I'd naturally like more power but at some point I'll begin to sacrifice it's other prized behavioral attributes such as drive-ability under all conditions.

I'd like to thank a few members from this forum who offered me new blocks and assistance when needed. I have struck a lot of bad luck with this build. The first engine didn't last more than 4k and the second caused me too many unnecessary headaches as well. Back and forth from Sydney to Canberra and even Adelaide (twice!!) and back before I sorted it out locally. Unfortunately, I can not recommend any of the workshops I used for this exercise except a really cool machinist guy in Canberra who machined 3 pulleys from scratch for me. Some of the dyno guys weren't patronising and of course my local mechanic Adam who is excellent at everything he does (Ferrari, Lambo, BMW background).

However in the end it was decided that the first engine failed due to a head gasket leak (block wasn't prepared correctly) that caused an overheating event that scored the bores and sent metal through the engine. The engine got to about 3/4 on the temp gauge once but that's it, so...whatever. Metal head gaskets need a perfect machined surface to sit on. The first engine didn't have it's block surfaced which caused the head gasket to leak...etc. Again, I checked coolant levels religiously every morning so it's a mystery to me as to when this overheating even happened.

Anyway, this engine is producing closer to the advertised 430hp even though I had to pump another 2psi out of the blower and fit a water injection system (ready for methonal mix and a dual map ecu). I also had that neat 10 inch "X-Pipe" that is doing the rounds in a PDF (I believe from this site?). It sounds excellent and added some mid range. I call it a "party pipe" the two exhausts come together and travel in a large 10" long 5 inch (squashed down to 2.5") all together before separating again for the last run to the rear muffler. I want it to be louder but the authorities would probably enjoy 1 less decibel. The CDA air filter lost 3 rwkw over the K&N but gained 10 lb/ft torque in the midrange. I chose the torque advantage - plus it looks cool. However for the $600 odd bucks it cost I would NOT recommend one to anyone looking for more power.

I'm not sure what to make of this disaster of a conversion but I now have a car that is stunning to drive and (as long as I don't think about the tripled original cost estimate) it does put a smile on my face and the faces of those who see under the hood for the first time (my favourite part!). The pull you get from this car is substantial and the last thing I think about when it slams into second gear is the cost because I'm concentrating on the rapidly approaching horizon and thinking I should probably back off now.

Thanks everyone for your support during this hellish last 4 months. I think there's a lesson in this for everyone. Draw your own conclusions but don't forget to take into account how naive I was when starting this project. I knew practically nothing about the 1UZ. Now, I can speak on them with some authority I think and for anyone contemplating having an engine professionally built I'd say - do it yourself, you will probably do now worse and would probably be able to follow a engine manual at least. Seriously, I am going to hand build my next engine so when it breaks I can blame myself which is much easier to get over than the emotions I feel about how much money was wasted on this engine. Money that could have been spent in other areas. I may be a fool but I do get to drive a supercharged V8 to the shops.

Thanks Jake. Yes, I must admit (and those are not good shots - I'll upload some more soon) it does look cool. I'm always lifting it's hood to rub a fingerprint off a shiny piece.

Lex, I've filled out the form. Wanted to go back in and edit my first post to include my name (Bill) and couldn't find the edit button and noticed that signatures are also missing. New rules?

Thanks.

The pulley is 145mm crank and 56mm Blower. A 2.58 ration. With a 6,500 rpm engine redline I'll be spinning it to 16,770 rpm. Max is 14,000, real max is 16,000 and the really really real max is about 19,000 but that's only because things start to get too hot under there which is where the water injection comes in. The water injection is computer controlled (no crude hobb switches) and uses a proper injector for fine control. The water pump is a bit loud (sounds like a noisy power steering pump) but it's a reassuring sound. That's the massive allow tank they built for me sitting where the battery used to be (now in the trunk). Without it, I ping even on light load but with it on, I can floor it until the (blue and red) lights come on. The difference in engine behavior with the smaller pulley is astonishing. Real gutsy where-you-need-it power, right now, as much as I want which is now less than I have. I like having power ready and waiting in reserve. It's what I expected but...you all know we want more. Twin screw? I've got plenty of strength now and there's plenty of room for more boost (with 8.3:1 static compression ratio).

Nice looking set up there Bill, i did read through your post pretty quick & didn't notice if you mentioned what gearbox you running, so what gearbox you running? if auto is it a MV Automatics box?
On the flywheel horsepower thing, i wouldn't even bother concerning your self with that, the horsepower at the wheels is the power that makes your car perform, its the power that counts!
Sorry to hear you had such a bad run during the biuld, so hopefully its all happy 'spirited' motoring from now on.
Got to run & buy some ARGO rods will talk again.

Brenton.

Great work Bill, would love to see it in the flesh.. where bouts in Adelaide you located? I've had a VIP Celsior for a while now and would like to find out some more on supercharging it. If your keen to talk i'm keen to listen!!!

Bill,

:beerchug: You deserve a big smile after what you have gone through, congratulations. And I am still waiting for you to call in and show me the car :rant:

Enjoy and keep us updated, Kevin

Thanks Cribb. Huge compliment. Thanks. A bit too shiny for my liking but what are ya gonna do?

Kev, sorry but with that damn chattering from the exhaust cam gear I wasn't in the mood to show anyone but now that's been sorted I'm happy to share. Unfortunately the car is back in Adelaide now so you'll have to wait until I'm back in town again. The way i drive this thing around all over the place that won't be long. PM you details again and I'll plug them into my phone.

PW, yes, true but I'm assured that they can run faster than is efficient so I should be ok for with the water squirting in there.

Brenton, I am running a stock A340E with an MV Automatics stage 1 shift kit installed. Re: the power figures, I'm just an old school head and I like to know how much power I've got so i can compare it to figures in my head. However, it's interesting to note that had I just been "happy with the power - which was the most I'd ever felt - I would never have discovered that the original engine was junk. It was only after my persistent nagging did we get to the bottom of it all and discover what was happening. I am never happy until I know I've got what I (over)paid for. That's why I want to get as many opinions on this as possible. It's not about how the car feels or what figure does what. It was advertised as a 430hp engine and that's what I want. Even with water and 11.5psi I still think I'm not hitting it but until I start getting some opinions I'm just guessing...and it bugs me. I've also asked on a few other forums (this car gets around) so we'll see what the general consensus is.

I'm already planning it! Twin screw I reckon. I also need a dual map capable ECU to take advantage of water/methonal to keep the detonation under control. While I had the blower off I also noticed that the inside of the intake manifold needed a LOT of cleaning up. The welds are lumpy and the finish is second rate.

Bill,

You would be ok if you have stock engine and stock compression with the M90. However, with 8.5:1, your boost would go down alot and would be very hard to make boost. I would assume you might make 14-16 psi with stock engine, but you are only seeing 11.5 or so. Twin Screw would be perfect and increase the boost to 15-18 psi.. LOL.. Meanwhile, enjoy your ride.... Its very special....

Back to the compresion ratio. Fugly is running 3.425" supercharger pulley on his M112 with stock engine and he see 9 psi. Perhaps this link might interest you www.lextreme.com/Supercharged-Lexus.html

Thanks. Yeas I think this specific Model is the best looking. Lot's of rodding cues, smoothed out, flush tail lights, rounded corners. I must agree, they are handsome. Especially when you lower them a bit and fit nice size tyres.

Yeah Lex, the M90 is maxed out. I reckon whipple is next but I haven't looked into it yet. Yes, I have a lot of space to fill with 8.3:1 so I can't wait for the next upgrade but in the meantime (as you say) I'm going to enjoy this and by the way, yes I let other's drive this car (too good not to share) so if you are thinking of installing an M90 and want to know what it feels like. Let me know. I'll be glad to passenger and watch your face.

Attachments

• DSCF0893.jpg
    DSCF0893.jpg
    212 KB · Views: 0
Great work Bill, would love to see it in the flesh.. where bouts in Adelaide you located? I've had a VIP Celsior for a while now and would like to find out some more on supercharging it. If your keen to talk i'm keen to listen!!!

Am i invisible on here or something.....?

Attachments

• van.jpg
    van.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 11
Sorry Pimp. I guess you were for a second. I saw your post but I guess I got carried away responding to all the others.

I live near the city but can travel anywhere. Have sent you a PM with my mobile.