Project Thread Supercharged 1UZ celica

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.
Why do things like this keep me awake at night.

With the second nozzle pre supercharger you are cooling the air charge pre supercharger and not pre throttle body so the volume of air cooled theoretically will shrink pre supercharger and assist in drawing more air through the throttle body?

Then with the extra air post supercharger the heat soak and compression heating this air would expand to a greater volume and so increase boost.

The extra water / meth the change from a liquid to a gas through heating will also create more pressure ie increase boost.

I think you will have to look at the afr's to check out the theory in practice. Higher boost with second nozzle running leaner would indicate there is more air through the system. Unchanged AFR's at higher boost would indicate the water steam theory is more correct.

Anyway it's all good fun boosting engines.

Now where did I put my piece of string.

Yeah that's my thinking Cobber. Except it won't run leaner...the Autronic is smart enough to compensate for both MAP and temp change so it'll know what's going on and adjust the fuel to suit.. i think ;) A squirt on the dyno once the new bigger nozzles are in to check and see what's what.

If i can get it back top a full 300rwkw on a very safe tune i will....but happy with whatever it does as still felt plenty solid at the track. With the swaybar back on and some more runs to dial my driving back in i reckon i could get it back to the lap times the turbo was doing. 1:06 around WP is plenty fast for a part time road rego'd car ;)

Looks like the noise itself is intimidating a few of your competitors!

Also looks like it's pulling well out of the corners?

LOL the noise is something else alright...scream coming at you and nice V8 burble once it's gone past. I need to let a mate take it for a few laps so i can enjoy the spectacle from the track side.

The turbo setup has more punch, even out of the corners, but the SC is easier to drive.

The low/mid range torque of the turbos would just overwhelm the rear (even with 250mm slicks) whereas the SC has a more linear power delivery so you can nurse the throttle easier to deliver some traction :) I miss the turbo surge for overtaking though.

On the day the car was a little slower as i hadn't fitted the front swaybar. Once fitted it'll do the lap times of the turbo setup......with some more suspension development the new turbo setup will be quicker again though :)

Whatever, it's hell fun to be back at the track :)

BTW i recently knocked 3 sec off my PB at the local hillclimb track as well :) Loving it :D

hi justen

so you knocked off 3sec on the hill climb, an that was with the new setup.
shows that it must be more driveable with the sc then the turbos?:eek:

great to hear all is looking good :D
Dual TB's, Whiteline swapbars, 97 RZ Supra brakes, Airbag & controller

Yeah definitely more drivable. I did have new rubber as well which obviously made a big difference so time came from a combo of the 2 changes.....never enough track time to make one change at a time :(

Hell yeah there's belt slip :) I use some belt grip spray, even though you're not supposed to with multi-Vs. Not enough slip to greatly effect boost but the little pile of rubber building up on the rad hose says there's slip ;)

justen

what sort off adjuster are you using with the sc belt?
i can sort of tell by the pic's up on first page that your using a stand alone belt for the sc. :D
is it a adjustable or fixed pulley
how loose is the belt when cold compared to when its warm.
why i asked the last point,
i know that these engines grow in size when they warm up an you may be getting slippage when cold?

Nah it's just a single long belt running everything. There's not alot of slip so you could be right? I have seen a setup that will give extra tension to the stock belt tensioner (Cribbj maybe?), so i'll look to do that in the future for the new owner.

what may help,
is if you can get the belt to wrap around the sc pulley more, this will help eliminate belt slip on the sc.
the above arm that superunner posted is perfect
by placing that on the sc snout, will do this for you?

Nah it's just a single long belt running everything. There's not alot of slip so you could be right? I have seen a setup that will give extra tension to the stock belt tensioner (Cribbj maybe?), so i'll look to do that in the future for the new owner.

I forget who came up with it, Scotturnot maybe? But yeah, basically just limiting the tensioner travel with a piece of angle bracing. The best way is as Hypronet mentioned, just try to get more wrap.

There's also some belts that purport to reduce slippage, Gates Gator Grip or some such?

What's this "new owner" business; are you pulling it off & selling already?

I have pretty good wrap, the belt already struggles for clearance against itself. To run that boost (16psi now) it should use a 10 rib ;) so a 6 rib will always struggle. Doesn't see,m to be a big issue as i get a consistent 16psi? The belt grip spray also seems to help a heap.

If i go thru a belt every few track days it's no problem really.....i go through more cash just fuelling the thing :)

Nah not selling yet John. It'll be a little while yet but i do want to sell while it's very low kms as more attractive obviously....of course if i get the right offer ;)

Low k's one careful owner only driven on Sundays....... Hmmm are you in marketing by any chance.

A gilmer drive belt would be the ultimate but if the old sixer is doing the job why worry.