Project Thread Supercharged 1UZ celica

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.
It will be an interesting track day John for sure.

On the dyno pull the turbo beat the SC from 1500rpm, which i'll never see on the track...that's a loaded pull though and real world transient response will be different but the SC will have to perform very well to compete ;)

270rwkw in any form is going to be fun though :)

Excellent result.

Why did I go with a supercharger?

Perhaps I like the "predicability" of it.

You've shown us all how to do it with well thought out planning.

Perhaps I like the "predicability" of it.

Hahahaha, maybe just a Freudian slip, but I'll bet that was an intentional misspelling. Our setups have certainly put us in some predicaments, haven't they, Rod? Or did you really mean "predictability"?

Justen,

so how does it feel compare to the old setup?
does it feel strong
she does sound pretty mean :D an i love the noise

Dual TB's, Whiteline swapbars, 97 RZ Supra brakes, Airbag & controller

Justen,

so how does it feel compare to the old setup?
does it feel strong
she does sound pretty mean :D an i love the noise

Yeah it does feel pretty strong and pulls from a couple of corners a tad better. A more linear throttle which makes it a bit easier to drive but i miss the urge the turbos give top end.

I wasn't running a sway bar on the day so i was a few seconds off my best...a tad rusty after a year off as well. I'd say the turbo is still quicker but the SC is quick enough ;)

That Eaton has quite a sound to it at RPM. How fast are you turning that pump? (Engine RPM vs blower RPM)

The new TVS 4 lobe blowers should be quieter and more efficient. Maybe one will become available to you to test.

One of the issues these blowers seem to have is heat soak. Did you notice any performance changes lap to lap?

Any way you cut it you are having MORE fun than most of us on these boards!

That Eaton has quite a sound to it at RPM. How fast are you turning that pump? (Engine RPM vs blower RPM)

The new TVS 4 lobe blowers should be quieter and more efficient. Maybe one will become available to you to test.

One of the issues these blowers seem to have is heat soak. Did you notice any performance changes lap to lap?

Any way you cut it you are having MORE fun than most of us on these boards!

I'm hitting the SC with a fair bit of WI and even after a session you can still comfortably lay your hand on the top of the SC...i need a bit more post SC though and have some bigger aquamist jets coming.

If you know of a 4 lobe that needs testing i'll do it ;)

:DVery nice work Justen:D,

The Wakefield park vid looked like a lot of fun and I'm amazed just how much noise the sc makes. The TVS is silent, well at least it is from inside my car with the side pipes barking. I'm so tempted now to up the boost and go WI on my set up now.

My highest air temp post charger is around 77c and that is without WI, your highest was about the same with WI?

Do you have the WI pump running constantly and use a high speed valve to modulate flow?
If so how do you modulate the flow? with a PWM output based on MAP?

How much fluid would you have used in those few laps of Wakefield?

Sorry about all the questions but I know you like to share your info for the common good.

If I were that side of the country I would let you borrow my TVS for a few laps for some back to bak testing, the data would be very interesting.

Thanks for keeping us posted.

hey Cobber,

Yeah i was amazed how much it screams :) It's not that loud from inside the car, nor did i notice it that much on the dyno? Some of it is just the high pitch dominating the mics on the vid cameras i think but it is pretty loud and gets your attention apparently ;)

I could vary the pump rate for the WI but i'm not. At present the utronic just uses a 2D rpm/load table to turn the pump on or off. I've gone super conservative and it switches on @ 3psi.

I initally had x2 0.8 mm nozzles, one pre SC and one post. On the track day i added a second nozzle pre SC of 0.7mm and can only guess around at 450cc/min average rate?

I have a 1mm nozzle coming which will go post SC and i'll place the other 0.8mm pre SC which should give me around the 500cc/min but again i'm just guessing and will need to measure once they are fitted.

On the track day i also upped the meth % so running pretty well 50:50 now.

On ading the 2nd pre SC nozzle i noticed boost jumped up to just over 1bar so looks like it gave me a coupla extra psi?

Once this and a coupla other issues are refined i'll wack it back on the dyno for a run and log inlet temps.

they are only reach 77 deg right at the top 500rpm or so...thru most of the rev range they were sub 60 deg and hope the extra WI will get them below 50 deg...as much as i can hope for i think.

The TT setup with FMIC and WI was around 30 deg

Some interesting things happening here by the looks of things.
I would have thought that by adding the second nozzle the temps would have dropped which would have caused the MAP (boost) to drop as well. But, I'm thinking that the extra water / meth evaporation and expansion caused the MAP to go up as you experienced with probably no power gain (possibly even a loss if you are pulling timing based on MAP and air temp).

I guess it's just a case of finding out how much is too much.

As Scotty from Star trek would say "I'm givin her all she's cap'n"

It sure does sound good though.

Some interesting things happening here by the looks of things.
I would have thought that by adding the second nozzle the temps would have dropped which would have caused the MAP (boost) to drop as well. But, I'm thinking that the extra water / meth evaporation and expansion caused the MAP to go up as you experienced with probably no power gain (possibly even a loss if you are pulling timing based on MAP and air temp).

I guess it's just a case of finding out how much is too much.

As Scotty from Star trek would say "I'm givin her all she's cap'n"

It sure does sound good though.

I was thinking a bit different Cobber....with the cooler intake charge there's more charge going thru the SC so post SC (and heating) you get a higher MAP reading? Might have to break out the physics texts ;)

as for power, not enough to feel by the seat of the pants but the car felt happier so something good was happening and it sure wasn't any slower :)

dyno to reveal gains or not i guess

More mass from the M/W, denser charge, higher pressure?

Inverse situation of a turbo setup that makes 1 bar of boost at sea level but struggles to make the same boost up in the mountains?