Project Thread Supercharged 1UZ celica

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.
No biggy it was a $300 engine and gave me a good run of events so not that bummed. Am annoying little issue to lunch an engine over though.....i usually put a small cable tie on vac lines but didn't on this one.

Engine will just need a piston so a cheap fix for someone and will probably run fault free for another 100K :)

Seems pistons are suspect ??
I wander what end gap is on the rings ???
Maybe too tight and binding which will break ring lands...
Due to extra heat with extra power...
Yep build a forged engine..
No point in having a church engine...
An engine you hope and pray it survives...

Seems pistons are suspect ??
I wander what end gap is on the rings ???
Maybe too tight and binding which will break ring lands...
Due to extra heat with extra power...
Yep build a forged engine..
No point in having a church engine...
An engine you hope and pray it survives...

Nah not at all mate, i couldn't disagree more. I have no issue with the strength of the stock engine and as long as your power expectations are reasonable i have demostrated they will last just fine making good power under tough conditions.

Both the engines i have lost were because of factors other than engine strength. A forged engine could quite easily have blown in both instances as well...although the safety margin should be much greater.

An engine making more than twice the factory power rating is probably getting close to it's limit. When something goes wrong, you are going to be in trouble. I had 2 instances of something going wrong due to my lack of attention to detail...it's all on me, not the engine.

Anyways, back to TT for me but once again i'm struggling with which way to go.

I love the idea of my fully built UZ, but...it's a lot of coin to invest in a rarely used toy? If i'm honest with all the costs the built engine will have to come in around $10K. For no more power than a stocky will handle really? Sure the built engine will produce more if you want but if i can't use it at the track it's only good for bragging rights at the pub ;)

I have an LS1 with loom and ECU sitting there and toying with the idea of stuffing that in instead....blasphemy and heart says UZ...capacity speaks to the brain and hip pocket though and a compelling voice :eek:

LS1 twin turbo it is then.........

I went to the track last weekend and spent 90% of the time spinning the wheels, great fun doing power slides but unless you can get the power to the ground it's a waste of time and frustrating. I am going to order some better R spec tyres for next time.

$10k for forged assembly ???
Sheesh I'm in the wrong business..
Aha maybe I am ??
$1k for rods and $1500 for one of the best blower piston brands out there..
That was when exchange rate was atleast 20c lower to U.S..
A tough Chevy is not a cheap option either..

Plus assembly, plus fastners, plus machining, plus head reco etc etc....this is all at mates rates and well priced parts sourcing....a fully built engine don't come cheap.

For the measely 350rwkw i need a stock LS will do...run 8-10psi and it's done easy and it will be a low stressed engine as well. That's plenty of power for circuit and still gets me a easy 10 at the strip...i don't need to have the biggest number ;)

Anyone who can build a good 1UZ for less than $10,000 stole the parts!

Pistons $1,500
Rods $1,500
Heads $3,000
Cams $2,000
Inlet system 4-8,000

This is before machining, fasteners, gaskets ect.

No change out of $15,00 for a balanced forged engine.

By the time I had an exhaust added to mine and tuning I was in the hole for $30,000 min.

Justen,

Check the wanted ads here someone in Scotland looking for a supercharger set up.

i got mine done for just over 11k

Custom CP 9:1 pistions w pins&rings $2200,
Argo Ibeam rods&bolts $1600,
Tighte custom cam w springs an shimless backets $2200,
Ported heads & manifold $1500,
Stripe, clean, bore, hone, blue print, balanced, supply bearing/gaskets, fit return oil lines and assemble$2000

then there was the rest off it

mods for the blower drive $900
Blower kit $9500
then the fuel system $5800 (pumps, injectors, lines etc)
then the 8 coil pack system, aftermarket ecu etc

All up, this end up about $35k AUD for the engine

and when i think about it, a tt setup would off been cheaper to build then the sc setup i have now

just my 2 cents

http://www.lextreme.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9037
:sgrin:There is No substitute for cubic inch, except for BOOST !!!!
"91 LS400" Argo rods, CP pistons 9:1, Custom Tighte Cams, Whipple supercharger 20psi,
Torsen Lsd, Dual TB's, Whiteline swapbars, 97 RZ Supra brakes, Airbag & controller

Ah now your all adding in things like head mods etc!!!
A forged rotating assembly is what I'm talking about !!!
Not changing the goal posts to win a debate..
If it's durable to handle 500 h.p ..
Then improve heads etc..
Umm ?? Durable ??
A forged rotating assembly so it's bullet proof..
With minor mods heads such as valve springs to handle boost ..
$5 to $10K on bolt on parts .. That's before transmission etc..
Yet leave rods and pistons std ??? Aha ...
Yep just fit another Jesus engine and pray...

BTW my C.P pistons cost me $1500 gas ported, with rings...

stay with a lexus donk,
but you could also go for a 3urfe, same no. of valve an cams, but bigger cid
they go from $2500 up
here is 1 for $3900usd on ebay

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220659350839

http://www.lextreme.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9037
:sgrin:There is No substitute for cubic inch, except for BOOST !!!!
"91 LS400" Argo rods, CP pistons 9:1, Custom Tighte Cams, Whipple supercharger 20psi,
Torsen Lsd, Dual TB's, Whiteline swapbars, 97 RZ Supra brakes, Airbag & controller

New Ford Coyote motor for $5700 here: http://www.buyfordracing.com/shop/product_info.php?products_id=776cPath=96

Jump on it Justen The cams are in the right place, and it's got the right number of valves too. ;)

Couldn't be that hard to make an adapter.....

Damn John, that is tempting. The ECU kit is well priced as well. I'd have to run it n/a for a coupla years until they crack the ECU and then TT for sure :)

Problem is i have a good low km LS sitting there already with loom and ECU. Drop it in and some effort to rewire and 5.7 litres of lazy TT power :)

It's smaller and lighter than the UZ as well...as much as i dislike pushrods, they stack up so well in the performance stakes it's hard to argue against one.

Nothing will happen until after Xmass now so plenty of time to change my mind a zillion times before i do anything ;)

I assume the Coyote will have similar ECU specs to the supercharged Aussie 5.0 alloy V8..??

These guys are fitting LS [L76/98] V8's into RX7's also..
The good part with these engines .. They have forged assembly..

Steve Hawkesbury Circuit Car
Alex Cooma Circuit Car
Gerry Northern Beaches Circuit Car
Shaun - Street car The Hills
Dan (Melbourne) Street Registered car
Steve M (ACT) Circuit Race Car

These are the turn key engine weights..
LS1 = 252 Kgs. (part number 25534322 - discontinued)
LS2 = 249 Kgs. (part number 19156261)
L98 = 246 kgs. (part number 17822015)
LS6 = 246 Kgs. (part number 17801268)
LS3 = 244 kgs. (part number 17804137)
LS7 = 239 Kgs. (part number 19165058)

Last edited:
are these 6.0 motors just a bored and stroked 1UZ ?
what is the model code for the 6 litre ?

Huh? Chev engines dude...find them in your garden variety commodore V8 ;)

Early versions were a bit crap but once they sorted the issues they have become a bit of a benchmark in cheap hp. All alloy, so light; heads flow well and pretty strong.

I'm not a fan of pushrods but hard to argue with numbers ;)

One of the new Ford engines or bigger capacity Toyota offerings (or even a Nissan VK56) would be preferable but bang for buck? LS is king!!

cheap HP

i see... yeah i'm not a fan of push rods however they have well and truely stood the test of time.....
... But i'm in love with my '99 LS... especially the motor... i just soooo look forward to driving it.... anywhere... anytime..... especially in the rain......
Ive never had car with a blower but about 20 years ago a mate of mine had a '64 XP falcon with a supercharged 351 winsor and all it did was lay rubber..... no matter what you were doing, just depress the pedal and it would just light up the tyres.... man it was so much fun... at the time i had a '67 VC Valiant station wagon with a worked 360 (6 litre) on nitros and maaaaaan that was heaps of fun too.... but ive never forgotten that supercharged falcon.....
move forward 20 years and i'm cruizing around in the lexy and reading about SC'd 1UZ's.... nothing caught my fancy until i saw the Jaguar set up.... you know, the one with the 2 watercooled intercoolers each side of the Eaton M90. The article was a guy with the 1UZ in a ski boat, running 10psi, standard comp, never had the engine opened and it runs just fine..... here's the link... take a look...
I love this set up, and i like the word 'SUPERCHARGED' cast into the top........
http://planetsoarer.com/joel/Joel.htm

Joel (known here as Jordy's Ski Boat) was quite active years ago, but we haven't heard from him in ages.

He was one of the first "success" stories with supercharging a UZ and sharing it with all of us.