Project Thread Supercharged 1UZ Bangkok Drag Truck

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.
Hello , just wanted to say great project . I was wondering if you would be willing to help out another ex-pat , I will be returning to Thailand in the near future and would appreciate and help and guidance you could provide, on what shops to use and avoid , for performance tuning and parts .

I notice that under the new web management the photos I posted have been removed. Oh well.

Here is a link to my Racing Projects Blog where you can read about new progress on my supercharged 1UZ drag truck.

http://drjeffbangkok.squarespace.com/racing-projects-blog/

And a photo (maybe) of (1) a sliding blower mount (to be welded once the correct alignment is found; (2) a collar used to adapt an ATI 2JZ balancer to a 1UZ so that the integral pulley grooves align with the alternator in the standard location; and (3) how it all looks put together (the collar will be spot welded in three places at 120 degrees apart, even though there is a common key-way and key running the length of both). This arrangement also allows the use of the ATI timing marks, as the standard key-way indexing is maintained.

Attachments

• 777.jpg
    777.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 220
I notice that under the new web management the photos I posted have been removed. Oh well.

I don't think they were removed intentionally; I think they may have been lost (hopefully only temporarily) in the change to another provider and/or the upgrade to latest vBulletin software.

Some of us have had build threads stretching over several years, and the photos in those are gone too, except the ones that are links to external photo hosting sites.

Geoff,

Are you concerned about the belt on the supercharger "orbiting"?

This is caused by centrfugal forces pulling the belt away from the pulleys.

I'd like to see an idler (or two) outside the belt to stop it being flung outwards.

Zuffen,

Thanks for the reply. I appreciate it. I also really enjoy this site, the feedback I have received has been very helpful. Thank you for taking the time and effort on all our behalf.

Dr. Jeff Harper
Harper Racing Bangkok

Geoff,

Are you concerned about the belt on the supercharger "orbiting"?

This is caused by centrfugal forces pulling the belt away from the pulleys.

I'd like to see an idler (or two) outside the belt to stop it being flung outwards.

Thanks for your concern. You are right. I should have given more info. Yes, I will have an adjustable idler (tensioner) pulley mounted on the outside of the belt near the supercharger (this also provides more "contact patch" between belt and pulley). I have the smallest pulley Vortec makes for the supercharger end on it now, but it is still within the maximum supercharger bearing speed parameters. Here is a photo of the eventual idler pulley location. I will need a shorter belt - which are available here in Thailand. I have NO IDEA how much boost it will make or how much horsepower either! Any guesses? All the specifics about the engine build are on my Racing Projects Blog ( http://drjeffbangkok.squarespace.com/racing-projects-blog/ ). Should I have a contest? I'll give a free Harper Racing Bangkok t-shirt to whomever computes (guesses) my RWHP when I dyno it.

Geoff,

Do you have the supercharger mount braced back to the cylinder head or elsewhere?

My concern would be flex in the mount.

I won't hazzard at a guess as to RWHP.

Zuffen,

Thanks. Yes, I have a steel tube back brace from the outside edge of the supercharger bracket back to the cylinder head, but I didn't get a photo of it. Flex will be a possibility, but I am going to put as many triangulated gussets in and around as possible, and double up the forged aluminum plate here and there. It won't be pretty.

There are strange things happping with your web provider: not only are all my posted photos missing, there is actually a photo (an exhaust system drawing) in one of my posts that I didn't put there. My race car will not have a muffler!
This is meant as feedback, not a complaint. Technology is really at the cave man level still! I love this site!

Anyway, here is a photo of by supercharger bracket, new belt, and the trial fitting of the idler pulley. Th race truck is now at the header shop (they have the only mandrel bender in Thailand) for the fabrication of the stepped headers (50% length is 1 5/8" stepped up to 50% length at 1 3/4") with the Edlebrock merge collectors. It will be interesting to see what I get after making about 15 nice napkin and felt pen tech drawings.

Go here for updates:http://drjeffbangkok.squarespace.com/racing-projects-blog/

Dr. Jeff Harper

Attachments

• BeltAssembly7043sm650.jpg
    BeltAssembly7043sm650.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 8
There are strange things happping with your web provider: not only are all my posted photos missing, there is actually a photo (an exhaust system drawing) in one of my posts that I didn't put there. My race car will not have a muffler!
This is meant as feedback, not a complaint. Technology is really at the cave man level still! I love this site!

Dr. Jeff Harper

Jeff, we're seeing this occasionally in others' posts too. No idea why, but I'm guessing the old forum's indexing got trashed somehow when we transferred providers and upgraded the software. It's weird.....

Fasteddie:

I will be using the standard intake and plenum for now, with some small mods. I have cleaned up the interior of the plenum by filling the holes, crators, and passages with epoxy and grinding and sanding it all smooth. I have also gone to a slightly larger throttle body by welding on an aluminum adapter plate and then 'port matching' the plate to the plenum. This is all guess work, of course, as I do not have any real idea about the flow dynamics of the intake track. However, as a generaal rule no holes, crators, or pits and a smooth surface is good for flow. I am anticipating 'only' 8-10 pounds of boost mostly at higher RPMs. If, or when, I go to more boost I will think about revising the intake manifold. Here is a photo of the plenum and new [and much simpler than standard] throttle body. I think I am about two weeks from cranking it up and testing the loud pedal.

cribbj:

No problem. I feel kind of bad all the photos are not there any more as I wrote my entries to refer to the posted photos. However, Forum visitors can find all the photos and an account of my supercharged 1UZ race truck build up are on Racing Projects web page HERE.

Attachments

• ThrottleBody6632sm650.jpg
    ThrottleBody6632sm650.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 6
Advice Needed

I have had a very productive last couple of weeks. I had my racer completely re-wired (very nice), including all that was necessary to run the AEM ECU -- and had a set of stepped/merged headers fabricated (very nice).

While thinking through where to mount the Tial blow off valve, and thinking about articles I have read on this site, it occured to me that the for-a-turbo 14 pound spring in this thing is not going to be any good with my Vortec supercharger (8-10 pounds of boost). But I need some advice. I am thinking about ordering 3, 4, and 5 pound springs to see which one works best (holds boost and allows boost to bleed off for a good idle rpm). I would appreciate the advice of members.

Thanks. here are some photos of the current state, and the Tial blow off valve. Go to my Racing Projects Blog for more detail and discussion of my project.

Attachments

• BlowOffValve8576s650.jpg
    BlowOffValve8576s650.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 9
  • Headers-and-Blower8541sm650.jpg
    Headers-and-Blower8541sm650.jpg
    122.4 KB · Views: 13
Jeff, I'm cutting & pasting a quote of yours from a different thread here. Have you installed those Brian Crower springs yet, and did they fit within the lifter bores, and more importantly, the spring seats OK?

Well . . . after much hand-wringing and midnight consternation, I realized that those standard 1UZ valve springs just weren't going to do the job. At only "42-46 pounds" of seat pressure, they are a tad too light for my high lift Kelford cams at my intended 7000 rpm shift points and at the quarter mile finish line. Kelford recommends "80+ pounds" seat pressure for the 201-T1 grind. So, what to do? The racer in me said to forget the standard used 2JZ springs -- mainly because I have no way to test them, and because they are rated at "62 pounds" of seat pressure -- so I bit the bullet and purchased a new set (32) of Brian Crower #BC1300 2JZ valve springs with this specification: "Spring Pressure: Seat: 1.325" @ 80 lbs / Open: 0.980" @ 158 lbs / Coil Bind: 0.810." I will use the standard 2JZ spring retainers (used) - no need for titanium at only 7000 rpm. Imagine finding a set of Brian Crower valve springs for a 1UZ in Bangkok! Thanks Khun Mac of MacTec . . . he has everything! It looks like my shop guy Art will be pulling the heads off, replacing the springs, and re-shimming those 32 valves one more time!

The Brian Crower 2JZ springs fit perfectly with the turbo 2JZ spring retainers. They seated as they should. There are many, many 1UZs here that use these springs successfully in all forms of racing - curcuit, drag, and off road - without trouble.

I thrashed late last night getting my racer ready. I am booked into an invitation-only fast bracket race as part of a big Goodyear Nitro Night show on November 28th - the first nitro dragster and funny car in Thailand! I am very close . . . will start it up in Thursday night :). . . and record with a movie camera to 'share the sound experience' with you all.

Check updates here: http://drjeffbangkok.squarespace.com/racing-projects-blog/

Doc

Attachments

• ScoopPiping8622(sm650).jpg
    ScoopPiping8622(sm650).jpg
    123 KB · Views: 5
  • FinalMotorAssembly8681(sm650).jpg
    FinalMotorAssembly8681(sm650).jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 8
Thanks. The scoop was a birthday present . . . but it IS a drag car, although no need for 'ram air' with a blower, it does take air from outside the engine compartment . . . and gives the truck a nice 'old school gasser' look that I like. It was very difficult to engineer the piping for that scoop so that I can get a socket on the spark plugs without taking it off.

I am still hoping to get some input from this group on blow-off valve spring pressure . . . . . for a good idle, while holding around 8-12 pounds of boost.

Go here for updates: http://drjeffbangkok.squarespace.com/racing-projects-blog/

Doc