steering problems with new rims and tires

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

Tisk Tisk

i just put supra TT rims on my sc400 with a brand new set of pilot sports, 245/45-17 front and 285/40-17 rear. The rims are 17x8 front and 17x9.5 rear, but i dont know the offsets, i have searched around on this forum and others and seen them quoted from +38 to +50 so i dont know anymore??
also i think the stock SC rims were +50 offset is this correct??

Anyway with the new rims and tires on, the car followes any imperfection and tries to climb out of any rutt in the road!

Is it just the tires i have? Am i running the wrong tire pressure? Are the offests way off and need correction?

wtf.gif

The ride quality and noise are great but its almost undrivable as you have to fight the stering constantly just to keep on the road... any advice on setting up my wheels better would be appreciated!
Thanks
Jake

I think its really the tires. Do u noticed your car is slower now? You are putting on bigger and heavier tires now. The noise and other factors are cause by the size, type and configuration of the thread pattern. It not the offset. If it is, i wont fit already or it would rub and you would noticed grinding noise.

The car is noticably slower now! But this was expected and planned for. The rear tires I had on before were 245/50-16 which were smaller in over all diameter from stock and the 285/40-17 are alittle larger then stock so the final drive was effected by about %2 and also these new wheels are about 8lbs each heaver then the old ones so there is alittle loss in power there. But the grip is much better and the road noise is almost gone!

Anyway the plan to get my speed back is to put in a 4.272 LSD solve my understeer and acceleration in one step!

Any advice on either the LSD conversion or setting up these tires for less steering problems would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks
Jake

P.S. because i made the rear of the car higher by about %2 my headlights are now pointed way to low, guess ill have to adjust them now too, any secrets to that, or is like every other car with X Y adjusting screws?

I think Lextreme is right. The problem is more of a tire than the offset. Supra wheels should fit on SC with some kinds of spacers to tuck out the wheels more. SC offset is +50. I'm not so sure but I think Supra offset is +38. 12 mm is not much of a difference to cause that big problem.

stevechumo said:
I think Lextreme is right. The problem is more of a tire than the offset. Supra wheels should fit on SC with some kinds of spacers to tuck out the wheels more. SC offset is +50. I'm not so sure but I think Supra offset is +38. 12 mm is not much of a difference to cause that big problem.
Every single piece of information I have read about Supra TT wheels indicates a +50 offset.

will 285's even fit on the rear? I have 265's on my LS400, and they are sticking out like 3mm from the guards, and there's what I consider an acceptable space between the inner edge of the wheel and the suspension, etc... but I can't see a 2cm wider tyre fitting all too well on an SC400...

Yeah I have 18 x 9's on the back with 265/35/18's which are Michelin Pilot Sports with 18 x 8's on the front with 235/40/18 Ventus 104's on them and I have no tramming problems , with a 285 on the back it should be no more than a 35 ratio and 30 would be even better .
Personally I think 285 is too much , 265 is about the limit .

Kiwi.in.aus said:
Yeah I have 18 x 9's on the back with 265/35/18's which are Michelin Pilot Sports with 18 x 8's on the front with 235/40/18 Ventus 104's on them and I have no tramming problems , with a 285 on the back it should be no more than a 35 ratio and 30 would be even better .
Personally I think 285 is too much , 265 is about the limit .
nah, I woulda gone with 40's...

35's would be smaller than stock, 30's would be way too small, he was talking about 17's here, not 18's :)

I was tossing up whether to go with 275/40's and 245/45's (which are slightly larger than stock on the LS400) or 265/40's and 235/45's... I went with the latter, and dont know if the wider would have fitted properly front, or rear!!!

we didn't get many replies from the thread starter, did we.

maybe he solved his problems? :)

No still have the problem but its less noticable now, guess im getting used to it. 285s do fit the sc400 with about 1/8" to spare to the outside fender and plenty of room to the inside, jus the way toyota designed it, these are toyota rims afterall...
And as the wheels come up they tuck up into the fenders as they come off camber so it never rubs even when they are fully bottomed out. Which i can do if i put enough tounge weight on the towing hitch, but thats in another thread :p

-Jake