Sludge

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

redsx

I was just wondering about a build up of sludge that is in the oil filler and PVC valve areas, I guess they are in a baffle as I can't see the cams, is this a common problem? The oil is as clean as and the services where all done according to the service book that was in the glove box of the half cut. The motor is out of 1990 Crown odometer says 135,000 km. Should I pulled the cam covers off and get them cleaned up, some told me to run some diesel engine oil in it to clean it out as it has detergent in it but didn't say for how long or anything else.
I did put some wire down the dip stick to see if there was any sludge in the sump but it's clean.
Any suggestions as cleaning it out or something to run through the motor to remove any sludge that may be in there.

Do you guys have Sea foam there? If so use 1/3rd in the engine oil and 1/3rd in the intake. It might take a few times to clean it out and you will not have the problems that you might get with using Diesel. The other trick you can do but it is a little more aggressive is 1/2 quart of automatic trans fluid in the oil, you can do this and run the motor for 20 min then drain it right away while it is still hot. The only bad part about this trick is that the trans fluid will eat the seals thru time if it is done to many times. Both ways to help get it out will need to be done right after you run the motor for 20 min at idle. If done correctly you should see large clumps of oil coming out of the engine. You can also switch over to synthetic and it will help break down the build up. But every oil change you do will require that you change out the oil filter. I hope this helps you, good luck.

Thanks for that, I don't think we have sea foam here, but will look to see if we have something similar as I know there is a problem with late model GM v6's.

Ive Read on people trying to remove sludge, but what about the soudge breaking off and clumping up the oil pickup? Thats the only reason why im nervous if there is sludge
Charley
Ive heard of people using the diesel trick where they fill the motor up and let it sit for awhile( maybe 2 weeks or so) and then just drain. I myself have always wanted to try this but am nervous that it may damage sensors/etc, because i have only ever heard of people doing this trick on older engines

Last edited:
I think they were using oil designed for diesel engine as it has a high detergent levels in it for keeping sludge levels low as against putting diesel fuel in the motor. I checked around the local car parts places and they only have STP or Nulon sludge remover which you put in before you change the oil and you only use it while idling to heat up the oil, not sure what they are like, anyone?