Should I or shouldn't I?

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

Zuffen

Super Moderator
Staff member
I toying with the idea of selling off my supercharged engine.

One of my sons will be able to legally drive the car next June and the other a couple of years after that.

The vehicle as it stands isn't something I would want a young guy driving. In the wet it want's to swap ends without provocation and in the dry it's simply to fast!

Engine options to replace it are either another 1UZ (dead stock) or an LSx of some sort.

Going the 1UZ route is a simple engine swap and wire in the 1UZ ECU as I would sell my existing engine complete with ECU, water meth injection and intercoller set up. Using a 1UZ means the vehicles height must stay as is so the driver's side header clears the diff, but I would like to drop it a minimum of 50mm so it can get into my local shopping centre!

If I went LSx I would have more torque (than a stock 1UZ) which a 1900kg vehicle really needs, plus they are newer and more economical (which will count with the boy's driving it) but I have more fab work to do. Additionally the headers would clear the suspension so allowing me to take out the 50mm body lift. Bellhousing adaptors are readilly available for the swap.

What are people's thoughts and what do you think my engine would be worth? It has around 800klm on it since it was built last year.

These are the engine's specs.

Ross Pistons
Argo Rods
Sealpro rings
Kelford Cams
XR6 valve springs
nitrided crank
heavilly ported heads
Cometic head gaskets
Arp head and crank studs/bolts
Richwood ported intake menifold
Richwood 8rib supercharger drive system
Richwood manifold divider
Piston squirters
CRS sump & modified oil pickup
external oil cooler
Opcon 222 twin screw supercharger
LS1 ingition coils
4 into 1 headers
3" mandrel exhaust with high flow cats and mufflers
Frozen air 1500cfm w2a intercooler
bosch intercooler pump
Snow water/meth injection
Fast 90-mm t/b
Autronic SMC ECU - professionally tuned
15 litre water/meth tank
New waterpump and timing belt/idlers/tensioner
Cold air intake

There's more than $30,000 worth of parts in the above list but I don't expect anything like that for the engine.

Last edited:
I don't know your family and don't take it the wrong way, but an inexperienced driver is an inexperienced driver. Giving them something with showoff power just enables accidents. Stick with a stock 1uz. Btw, how much you selling that motor for, I don't have any money but just curious to know
Goodluck
Charley

Dead stock 1uz would still be more than enough to get to the shops and have some fun and would be my choice for ease of fitment.

As for your beast engine goes it's a small market. Might be a good option for jet boaters and drag racers.

A friend has just bought a new Coyotee 5lt, supercharger kit, ecu and flash tuner etc etc for his cobra all landed in Aus for $12,500. 675 hp out the box.

I don't have a set price for the engine etc, but the idea just won't go away. I guess I'm open to offers.

My 19 year old hasn't put a mark on his VW Polo in over 2 years so he's doing nicely and cars aren't his alter ego as he sees them as transport.

The 16 year old is another story!

I started it up today as it's in storage at my FIL's house for winter and it just sounds awesome. It does bring a smile to your face when the supercharger whine starts up.

Rod, I was in a similar situation a few years ago with my 18 year old son and my black Supra. Granted, a 320HP TT Supra isn't quite the same as your fire breathing 500HP+ UZ motor in that lifted Rover, but I went ahead and "sold" him the Supra and he's having a ball with it. The only downside is that I'm still like a mother hen around it, and what he does with it. It's probably a good thing he's stationed at an Air Force base 500 miles away, 'cause I'm sure I'd be driving him nuts and vice versa.

I know you put a ton of money, sweat, and even shed some blood over that motor, and if it stays in the family, you may not be able to detach from it, as I couldn't with the Supra. So I'm with Andy and Charley, and would swap it out for a stock lump, then sell the motor to a jet boater, or another crazy hotrodder

p.s. And try to resist the urge to kill when you get offers of $3K to $5K for that $35K motor :eek:

If I sold the engine for very little money it wouldn't bother me unduly as at least it would go to someone who would use it.

Plus it would give me something to work on as my current project is moving quicker than expected and could be all finished by Christmas.

I guess I'll figure out what to do.

Rod, why not just keep the car for you as is, drive it for fun when you get the itch, store it the rest of the time, and then just buy a clean and inexpensive ride for your son? If he likes the older Soarers, why not buy him a stock, clean one and call it a day? At least you don't get killed selling that motor and ECU, instead, you get to kill some blokes out there that have no idea what you have got in that ride...That is worth a hell of a lot ear to ear grins...:cool:

That is what I would do...;)

Ryan

Unfortunately the car is irreplacable.

They've only built around 100 over the last 20 years and there are only around 15 in Australia.

Ours is unique'in that it has been raced in an International event (and did very well thanks) so has a lot of history.

The car has my youngest son's number plates on it so he's claimed it as his.

I can't buy another for the boys to drive so it has to be this one.

After I finish my current project I'll make a firm decision and move on from there.

Hey mate, I'm from Melbourne (although O/S atm). Send me a PM with a price on the engine.

What sort of power did this thing put out? I imagine it can handle a lot of boost!

Last edited:
Dragging up athread from the dead!

Well I've decided to bite the bullet and sell my engine off.

My current project will be ready for engineering in about 2 weeks and I then plan on replacing my engine with a stocker.

I figure I don't need two toys with 400+hp so the engine is going.

I've had my fun building it and I've driven it around 650 kilometers and had a ball.

The car is a hard core 4x4 and the engine just isn't suited to off roading, and I haven't even tried it off road, but a stocker would be brilliant.

Just the other day I was towing my trailer with my current project on it (so total weight around 2 tonnes) and going up a hill it broke into wheelspin in 1st and 2nd, but Mud Terrain tyres were never made for street traction.

No set price but I'm open to offers.

You may be surprised how cheap I would let it go.

Rod, hate to see it go, as it's another chapter closed, but I can well see where you're coming from. We all arrive there at some point.

But entertain us with some more pics......

John,

I'll be getting some better pics of my latest venture tomorrow as I'm off to the local drag strip for the engineer to give the car the once over.

It won't be venturing down the strip as I have another week or so of work before it starts the engineering tests to allow it to be registered.

Once I have the photos I'll post up a short article.

Has you engine run in anger yet?

No, unfortunately not - that Italian is quite a demanding mistress and seems to get all my time (and most of my money :))

The 1UZ is all but finished. I just have to go collect the "real" motor and transfer all the bits from the mockup to it, hookup an ECU and give Mitch a call.

Well the engine is sold.

I think it has gone to a very good home where it will be given a good workout.

Now I'm looking for a good 1UZ or 3UZ to drop in the vacant space.

Oh and a couple of photos of my latest project.

Attachments

• DSC_0015.jpg
    DSC_0015.jpg
    203.1 KB · Views: 24
  • DSC_0019.jpg
    DSC_0019.jpg
    203.3 KB · Views: 23