searching for 450whp

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

taka21

Hey everyone ive been reading on here about n/a modifications to our 1uz.
im trying to figure out what the best value in n/a modifications.
so far finding a solution for the lower intake manifold, getting some stronger valve springs, true cold air intake, exhaust and possibly some cam regrinds are what i have come up with on my list of reasonably priced mods.
im searching for 450whp and i intend to go turbo to do it just not right now.
for now i want to make a decent na without tearing into the bottom end.
i really want to have a 7k redline as well i feel like the 6500 limit is just a bit too low.
btw
im starting with my 97 1uz non vvti rated at 300bhp.
its also running a w58 manual gearbox in my supra.

my question is how far do you all think my list of proposed mods will take me.

well, to atart with, that engine lays down 255hp/277tq at the wheels. The cam profile is weak. and the ports are restrictive. fix those two problems and you're going to see some big gains.

and yes, that rev limiter is too damn low!

4UZQUIK is right on. Problem is, its hard to build a car for N/A gains and FI at the same time. They just dont go hand in hand. 1 method you might consider would be a high compression N/A build with forged piston/rods and high lift/duration cams and then run low boost with the high compression. You wont be able to run as much boost with the high CR and 7k redline but at the same time you'll make more power/psi in return. 450whp is very possible but you'll really need a solid tune to make it reliable.

well, to atart with, that engine lays down 255hp/277tq at the wheels. The cam profile is weak. and the ports are restrictive. fix those two problems and you're going to see some big gains.

and yes, that rev limiter is too damn low!
lol ok first things first lets adress this cam issue, (keeping in mind that im learning about this as we go along) is there a streetable cam on the marked that i can just drop in set timing and be on my way or will i have to do a custom cam setup?
second, which ports are restrictive, are we talking intake and exhaust valve ports or the intake and exhaust runners themselves.
and i know its a tough question but how in the world to you raise the rev limit on these ecu's

4UZQUIK is right on. Problem is, its hard to build a car for N/A gains and FI at the same time. They just dont go hand in hand. 1 method you might consider would be a high compression N/A build with forged piston/rods and high lift/duration cams and then run low boost with the high compression. You wont be able to run as much boost with the high CR and 7k redline but at the same time you'll make more power/psi in return. 450whp is very possible but you'll really need a solid tune to make it reliable.
i know it can be difficult but i want to build for the turbo but make sure that what i do now will be beneficial for the fi setup as well, things like making the engine breathe better overall and be as efficient as possible as is . even with my turbo setup im going to be going for responsiveness not really top end power, so hopefully this wont be too hard.

the 1st mod that will assist hp making for both N/A and FI would be a moderate head port and Lextreme stage I or II cams. Stage II Lextreme cams and a full exhaust can net a solid 50BHP.

the 1st mod that will assist hp making for both N/A and FI would be a moderate head port and Lextreme stage I or II cams. Stage II Lextreme cams and a full exhaust can net a solid 50BHP.

ok what is the difference between the stage 1 and the stage 2 cams?
and how will this affect the idle and responsiveness?(learning)

ok what is the difference between the stage 1 and the stage 2 cams?

Stage II cams have a more aggressive profile and more duration. I have personally driven Lextreme's 4.7L with the stage II's and it idled exactly like stock (very smooth) and was even more responsive versus stock. The stock cams have zero overlap which means they are built solely for MPG versus HP. Cams + head work = excellent power potential when u add a turbo/supercharger or higher CR.

www.lextreme/com/products

Stage II cams have a more aggressive profile and more duration. I have personally driven Lextreme's 4.7L with the stage II's and it idled exactly like stock (very smooth) and was even more responsive versus stock. The stock cams have zero overlap which means they are built solely for MPG versus HP. Cams + head work = excellent power potential when u add a turbo/supercharger or higher CR.

www.lextreme/com/products

i see, ok so saving up for a set of cams. (little sticker shock but ive never priced cams before lol)
ok so i keep reading that the lower intake manifold is a real problem area on these engines, why is that and is there a known fix for it?

let me just say that the sticker shock for the lex cams was like a static shock compared to the other cams i just googled omg why are they so much its almost double the lex price thank God for lextreme

ok so i keep reading that the lower intake manifold is a real problem area on these engines, why is that and is there a known fix for it?

use the forum and search for Justin_gt8, and he can give u the exact details on how to. The lower manifold chokes off power at 5500-6000rpm and when its replaced with a short runner manifold, it extends the power band to 6000-6500rpm before choking off with no loss in low end hp/tq.

Toyota UZ cams are more expensive versus domestic cams because we need 4 cams versus a single cam for domestics. 4 cam for under a grand is a steal for these. The $2000+ cams are billet machined versus Lextreme's re-ground cams that are plenty stong already.

as for raising the rev limit, I've been doing research, and I may have found a way to change the rev limiter, but there's problems with doing this. Whatever your last fuel and spark bins are, the get extended from the original rpm to the new one. Whic h could be problematic.

use the forum and search for Justin_gt8, and he can give u the exact details on how to. The lower manifold chokes off power at 5500-6000rpm and when its replaced with a short runner manifold, it extends the power band to 6000-6500rpm before choking off with no loss in low end hp/tq.

Toyota UZ cams are more expensive versus domestic cams because we need 4 cams versus a single cam for domestics. 4 cam for under a grand is a steal for these. The $2000+ cams are billet machined versus Lextreme's re-ground cams that are plenty stong already.

i see said the blind man lol

as for raising the rev limit, I've been doing research, and I may have found a way to change the rev limiter, but there's problems with doing this. Whatever your last fuel and spark bins are, the get extended from the original rpm to the new one. Whic h could be problematic.
how so? and how are you managing to find this info?

Thanks SPF

What exactly would fail on these transmissions?

I just finished my trans build last month. Added a cooler, ipt valve body, and lextreme TC. Some of the supra forum members suggest this transmission would be good for 600bhp if raybestos plates were added.