SC400 / Soarer Suspension... how well can these cars handle?

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

MWP

Hi all,

Im considering buying a SC400/Soarer for my daily car.
One concern i have though is how they handle, and how much they can be improved.

I need a car that doesnt feel like a boat... i do a lot of windy hills driving.
Ie, fairly stiff suspension, not much roll, handles like its on rails.

Im also after the luxury aspect of the car though, so i dont want to strip out much to lighten it up.

So.....
Do you guys think a SC400/Soarer would be for me?
How much work is required to get one to handle decently?

Thanks!

It is a heavy, long car. You can't change that. Mine handles well and is controlled and i don't know how they feel with stiffer springs and larger rims, but you can't change the first two facts i stated. Your best off to test drive one yourself.

The SC handles very good around hills, even with stock suspension. However, if you'd like to improve the handling but not to have the bouncy ride, you might look into the Tein coilovers such as CS or Flex that's made for the 93-98 Supra. They fit perfectly on the SC. Also, larger rims/tires set up such as 245/40/18 with rim width of 8.5" front and 275/35/18 with rim width of 9.5" rear will give you a good looking, better handling due to more contact surfaces, and without sacrificing the comfortable ride. Going over 18" wheels will start to be bouncy. The best way is to test drive the car first.

haha I remember when I briefly had my 95' SC. I ordered my tien basic coilovers as "1995 Lexus" and cam out of the box saying "1995 Supra Toyota" But they really helped my car flatten out and fit perfect.

If comfort is a major concern I would highly advise FIRST, to upgrade to a thick front and rear swaybar setup. Also upgrade the endlinks as they commonly snap with a thicker bar... and will not affect overall harshness. It will eliminate the majority of the bodyroll your car see's when your really pushing it, and drive in a straight line just like OEM. My Sedan used to drive like an Oil tanker until I swapped mine out.

Good luck