SC400 Same as LS400 Transmission

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

Lextreme II

Just call me "Lex"
I have one 1991 LS400 donor with bad transmission and I have a 1992 SC400 good transmission. They are complete bolt on swap. All the plugs are the same.

1992-1994 transmission from SC400 is same as 1990 to 1994 is the same. The only different is the gear ratio. Due to the LS400 headers and SC400 header difference, it is best to swap out the transmission pan also. The dipstick has different configuration.

Just would like to share with you guys have difficulty finding SC400 transmission. Generally speaking the LS400 transmission is alot cheaper than SC transmission.

Hey David, I am thinking of ideas about smoothing out this sc400 swap. I need to know wether the shift solenoids need to be swapped out, or just the speed sensor and my other unknown black sensor (black, 1-bolt mounting, magnetic pickup on it's tip). I am almost positive the speed sensor it the issue, as my speedo and Odometer does not work. I didn't clock a single mile on my 1500 mile trip! lol.

I will be honest tho, if I can get these small electrical issues sorted we may have found another sweet Lexus swap. I plan to keep this baby as my daily driver in N/A application. I think this particular gear ratio with a torque convertor and full exhaust (fabbing it up as i write this) could be a fun ride.

Attachments

• Brake, ABS, and TRAC Systems (GE and GTE).jpg
    Brake, ABS, and TRAC Systems (GE and GTE).jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 42
  • Brake, ABS, and TRAC Systems (GE and GTE) Connector2.jpg
    Brake, ABS, and TRAC Systems (GE and GTE) Connector2.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 39
  • Brake, ABS, and TRAC Systems (GE and GTE) - SST.jpg
    Brake, ABS, and TRAC Systems (GE and GTE) - SST.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 38
You mentioned that the gear ratio would be different. Would one be off by assuming that the LS Trans would have a little lower gearing due to the added weight of the car?

This is a very old thread that I am reviving..

I am currently looking for a transmission to swap into my 1992 SC400.. I just found a 1995 tranny for $200 with 108,000 miles on it and the plugs unfortunately don't match up with my 92.. The 92-94 SC400 transmissions are the perfect fit and not the 1995 and newer SC400's...

I am now wondering if the 1990-1994 LS400 transmissions would be infact a fitable swap option?.. Is the gearing difference even noticeable..

Any current information would be much appreciated.. There are LS400 transmissions to buy but I want to make sure they are infact able to swap into my 1992 SC400..

Little help please... Thanks

Jibbby,

A member named Zidaro has a 1992 SC400 transmission at my place and he wants 250 for it. You need pm zidaro and pay him directly and pick up at my place.

The truth is the LS400 has taller gears and the SC has shorter, more aggressive gears. After swapping I realized the LS should have gotten the same ratios to offset it's curb weight but it all came down to MPG. The LS would have lost a couple MPG causing higher sticker prices due to the gass guzzler tax. But I plan on swapping one of these into my built LS470 when the time comes.

Had a fun street race tonight with a Lincoln LS (Ironic eh?). I took him off the line and he managed to catch up and got parallel but never took me. Mind you the Lincoln has a 280hp 3.8L v8 versus the 1uz. The taller gears FOR SURE helped.

jibby-

You said the plugs didn't match up? What year is your SC? I have swapped both and can verify the toyota tacoma autobox is identical as well.

Jibbby,

A member named Zidaro has a 1992 SC400 transmission at my place and he wants 250 for it. You need pm zidaro and pay him directly and pick up at my place.

Thanks for the hookup again David...

I will call you for the tranny pick up maybe on Monday.. I got to get the bank cashiers check for Aaron and I will give that to you David when I pick up the transmission...

This worked out great...Thank you David, thank you Aaron..:)

Gear ratio is the same and all the speed sensors are as well... only thing you need to change is the detent cable. The LS has a longer cable than the SC..