SC400 manual conversion aftermath

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

lexplay

i finished my r154 manual converison about a year ago and then had to let the car sit for a while due other comitments.
im finally back to working on her and want to fix some electrical isssues she came up with after the conversion.

the main one weather its electrical or mechanical i dont know yet.
the car starts and idles fine but when driving along and then u stab the clutch it doesnt idle it just stalls out.
before this when it was auto i never had any idle issues.
any ideas why this might be happening?

the other issue is when i hook up the speedo it comes up with a warning on the dash obviously because the car thinks its in neutral and trips out.
any ideas would be appreaciated.
thanks
jamie

PNR Switch

I've done two manual conversions and had no electrical issues. To bypass the PNR switch I simply cut off the PNR connector and connected the black wire (pin 5) to the black-white wire (pin 6) to enable the start circuit. If you did anything fancier than that, I would start searching there.

As for the speedo, my R154 was a manual speedo drive so we bought one of the manual to electrical adapters (from Marlin Crawler or Drift Motion) and it was a plug and play. My R154 had the ABS sensor so we feed that to the V2 speed sensor connector for fun but I don't think that was necessary. It is likely you wired the speed sensor incorrectly, it doesn't 'care' if you are in neutral.

Attachments

• speed adapter.jpg
    speed adapter.jpg
    129.4 KB · Views: 39
thanks for the reply LP1 i have done exactly what you have said and got the same speedo adaptor from marlin as well.

i still cant figure it out, when the car is cold it drops back and idles fine as soon as the car is up to running temps it doesnt want to idle at all.

Iac

The IAC should stay in the position that gives it best idle when warm, maybe yours is closing off? You could manually open the throttle with the adjusting screw to give it some air while your trying to figure it all out. TPS is set correctly - yes?

My engine infrequently decides to shut down when at idle. It's not related to the manual conversion, it did it before. I don't get any codes, I'm thinking the ECU is missing a cam/crank position signal every once and awhile. Not doing it enough to piss me off yet, hopefully I will get a code when it does it regularily. Good luck!

Ecu

One more thought. After we did our first conversion we had no ignition (with a code). Chased wires for hours, it turned out the ECU didn't like the way the main bundle was hooked up. We disconnected and re-connected the ECU then all was fine.

thanks for the thoughts LP1, if theirs one thing ive learnt about some cars is start with the simple things before pulling your hair out. so i did i gave her some love and put some new spark plugs in and she idles fine. it wasnt missing or anything before hand but i knew they needed doing so done them and all good.

the last thing i have to sort is the O/D light flashing and the ETC code comming up on the dash, have you found a way to rid this yet?

ECT Light

I simply pulled all of the uncessary bulbs for the auto transmission from the instrument panel. I ended up painting over the transmission see through squares on the instrument face with flat black paint. You are hard pressed to tell that it was done through the smoked glass.