SC Vs. Supra

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

Lextreme II

Just call me "Lex"
I have seen some really nice SC (Lexus SC300/400) but the Supra ((MKIV) is just too sexy. These two cars shared many identical parts. Why is the Supra so good looking? Is it because it is rare or it is the design?

I've heard many tales about the technical design review meetings on the Supra, especially about how the design team were desperate to reduce its weight, but I've never heard much about how Toyota came up with its silhouette or shape. It would be interesting to know if Toyota used an external design studio for it, or they came up with it themselves.

It was certainly a winner in its time, and is still one of the most beautiful cars on the road, IMO.

I like the Supra's too... I remember test driving a brand new one back in 1994 and liked it then and still like it now... Too bad they cost 3-4 times as much as the same year SC400...

2jz+V160= lot's of fun
1uz-fe+a34e= not as much fun

I like the Supra's too... I remember test driving a brand new one back in 1994 and liked it then and still like it now... Too bad they cost 3-4 times as much as the same year SC400...

2jz+V160= lot's of fun
1uz-fe+a34e= not as much fun
SC400 Vs. Supra TT is more like 10X more. You can pick up a ok shape SC400 for like 2-3k. Supra TT with 6 speed would run around 20 to 30K.

My god man....I haven't priced the Supra's in years....I cannot believe they have actually become more valuable in the last 10 years... I got on recycler.com and the cheapest Supra TT was $20,000... WOW!!!! I would have to say they are collectors items at this point... I honestly remember 10 years ago them being around that $20,000 range because I almost bought one...Today, they are selling now on average for around $30,000..

It may not be a bad idea to get one and keep it clean for investments sake..

...It may not be a bad idea to get one and keep it clean for investments sake..
From what I see and was told, the untouched Supra TT is usually more valuable than the modified one. But if your Supra is modified by Titan Motorsport, for example, then it'll be more valuable than the stock one.

Well being a former car dealer...Any stock car always sold easier and usually for more money over the same modified ones.. 4X4's may be the exception, via the suspension lift and big tires but even that was hit or miss...

When ever you modify your car you stand a good chance of losing money at time of re-sale and you also create a certain and limited market to sell it as well..... Very unfortunate...

Supras will be one of the few cars that will hold it's value like old muscle cars. Being top end, rare, and georgous, there will be a line of buyers for years to come.

I prefer the looks of them to the SC, but at the same time seeing one is a bit of a treat since they're so rare. However, if I were looking for a DD I'd prefer the SC. Something tells me that a Supra parked in a driveway is an even sweeter target for a thief as my Mach 1.

As for why they cost so much more, I think there's a somewhat artifical reputation that proceeds the Supra. If some guys out there start stomping everything on the road with an SC I guarantee you'll see prices go up since they're so closely related.

As for actual fast supras, it seems that's maybe a fraction of the ones on the road. The 2JZ engine is a great engine when it comes to numbers, but in terms of actual street performance I think it's a somewhat weak engine. The torque curve is pathetic (from what I've seen) and seems to make 'ok' street hp. Tracks are a different story, but they really only seem to go like stink on the highway.

Other cars manufactured in the 1980's that come to mind for holding their value over time are the Acura NSX's, and Buick Grand Nationals, along with the Toyota Supra TT's here in the States..

Keep in mind when comparing the Lexus SC300's and SC400's to the Supra tt's is that the popularity and sheer numbers sold for their respective years are completely different..... It's all about limited production and sale numbers and maybe some uniqueness in style when it comes to being collectors items with these cars....

I can remember the Supra's were being compared at the time to the Nissan 300Z TT's, Dodge Stealth turbo's and Mits VR turbo's.. Those three didn't hold any kind of value like the Supra TT's did... Hmmmm, I wonder why?

Good point with the NSX, GN's, and a few others. I'm sure before long we'll have more cars to add to that list.

As for the Supra standing out above the rest of the 1990's "Japanese Musclecars", I'm sure there's many reasons. My guess would be the fact that we've all seen Supras putting 4 digit hp to the ground on dynos. I don't think too many people are doing that with the Z's or the Stealth/3000GT's. Another thing is I'd imagine the Supra has a nicer reliability record than some.

You don't see too many of the afformentioned cars much these days either. But the Supra was the most expensive of the bunch new (except for the NSX, but that's in a completly different league) and that'll put it at the top of the heap since there aren't as many of them. Give it a few years, and I'd be willing to bet a VR4 or 300ZXTT will be climbing in value.

I remember when i first starting getting obsessed over supra's and then found a 2jz swapped sc300 and when i saw the sc300 for the first time i was just thinking why the hell would they swap the 2jz in that huge ugly car! Several years later i ended up with an sc400 and started to appreciate the design more and more with time. One problem is the sc has a truck like wheelbase and it throws the porportions off and clearly shows its size and that it is not a sport car. One time i parked my sc next to a supra and i couldn't believe how much better the porportions looked on the supra side by side and what a raw performance machine the supra appears (and is ) to be. Fact is, they are too different types of cars, and someone artfully penned the supra the way it is and i don't know how to describe it.

Here are the two pictures side by side.
1997 Vs. 1997
Red Vs. Red
Stock Vs. Stock

1997-SC400.jpg
supra.bmp

-------------------1997 Lexus SC400-------------------------------1997 Toyota Supra Twin Turbo

Here is a good article between these two siblings SC400 Vs. Supra

They look like two completely different cars to me...However, they share the dynamic's like the subframe... Many parts are interchangeable also between the two... Not to different after all when you consider it all...

I don't like the red color on the Supra's...They look much better in blue and black... The rims gotta go too...

I like the SC's better. Don't get me wrong they are way better performance wise stock but for a fraction of the price you can swap all the supra goodies over to an SC and I like the looks of the SC. I'm almost thirty years old and I want the performance but I don't like looking like a "boy racer".So to sum it up I thinks SC are or can be close in performance but look a lot classier IMHO.

I find it somewhat amusing that the SC is almost identical to the Supra in terms of suspension and engine components, can cost so much less than its Toyota counterpart. I love my SC just because its such a great bargain buy compared to the supra, but if i were given a choice between the two, i would have to give the nod to a Supra.

i know a good friend of mine that test drives cars for some high class magazine. He remembers driving the Supra a while back and commented that the Supra has one of the dumbest names hes ever heard of for a car. I kinda have to agree though. :lick:

"Supra" you know what that is a dumb name, good point...Never thought of that one...Hmmmmm????? Come to think of it - Toyota Prism isn't much better either.... What about the Tundra, what is a tundra anyway? Camery? Sequoia? Are those even English words? 4-runner and Landcruiser names are better...

Who thinks up these retarted names anyway? Luckily it's just the names that are bad though and not the cars...

Do u guys noticed that Toyota has actual name for all of their cars/trucks/SUV Vs. Lexus has initials and engine size except IS-F. For example

LS
SC
GS
LX
GX
IS
ES
and so on.

Do u guys noticed that Toyota has actual name for all of their cars/trucks/SUV Vs. Lexus has initials and engine size except IS-F. For example

LS
SC
GS
LX
GX
IS
ES
and so on.

True, Lexus really doesn't have actual names for their cars, just initials that we can keep wondering about. I'm sure these must stand for something. but instead of just coming up with ridiculous names for just a few letters, i think the abbreviations suit just fine. It's sort of what makes Lexus a Lexus.

"Supra" you know what that is a dumb name, good point...Never thought of that one...Hmmmmm????? Come to think of it - Toyota Prism isn't much better either.... What about the Tundra, what is a tundra anyway? Camery? Sequoia? Are those even English words? 4-runner and Landcruiser names are better...

not all of toyota's car names are bad, but they do have meanings. Get a dictionary and look up a few of em, you might be surprised.

A tundra is a region of sub-arctic cold and consists of little vegetation. It could be linked to the Toyota's rugged design nature and a hint at what it could be capable of.

A sequoia is a big ass tree that can be as big as 300ft. it could lend to Toyota's "big" car.

There is no definition for Camry, it could be described as a common car built for the everyday person, short for its Computer Aided Manufacturing, who knows?

I feel that the name for the car has to lend to its meaning. They choose these names because by calling it a certain name customers can associate with its overall purpose. It could envoke certain emotions that can describe the car as well. For Supra, it could lend to its sporty nature and its "Super" qualities like high power engine, sexy design, etc. For me, its just a silly name and i feel it deserves something more than just "Super." Maybe it should be a "Friggen Sweet".....

I own both a Supra and the Soarer (GT Limited V8 version) but I will sell the Soarer at some point mainly because the Supra is lighter which means it will handle better around the track.

Even from factory the Supra could do around 1G on the skid pan and had some of the best brakes of that era found on any car!

Both are great cars though and are aimed at different markets.

If I remember correctly the SC stands for sports coupe.