Results of mods on SC400

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.
Crbbj - If I were to purchase a TT Supra it would be the 6 speed V160 Supra I would get...No more weak automatic transmissions for me....

I guess it would be fun to toy around with a 2jz motor and boost for a while... I just remember what a pleasure it was to drive one even though it has been years and years since I last test drove one new at the Toyota Dealership back in 1994... Even the manual ones were a pleasure to drive... A little heavy and tight on the insides but very nice overall if I remember correctly... I still think to date when clean those Supra tt's look very sleek... Black with tint, fat tires and rims and you have a nice looking vessel to fart around town in....

John are you still fond of your Supra TT? What are some of the pro's and cons that you might want to share?

Yes, I'm still very fond of the Supra, and for me the list of Pro's is a lot longer than the Con's. Here are some:

Pro's
The da*n thing just looks fast standing still. For me, it's one of the most beautiful looking cars ever built. I know, love is blind, but even Ferrari copied its lines for the new 599 GTB. See photo below.

They're easy to work on. Tons of room in the engine bay. Documentation is excellent. Internet support is excellent.

OEM parts are dead easy to come by and not that expensive.

Aftermarket go fast stuff is plentiful and off the shelf.

They're holding their values very well. '94 Supra's are still being sold for 20K, whereas '94 'vettes are fetching around half that.

You can mod the thing as little or as much as your wallet can handle. The 2JZ-GTE is putting out somewhere north of 1400 HP, as proven by sub 8 second time slips. Some people think we still haven't found its upper limit, and 1500 HP is being talked about as the next milestone.

Legendary Toyota reliability. OK the car has a few quirks, but they're well known and not too expensive to sort out.

They're rare, and exclusive. Take a Supra and a 'vette and park them together at a gathering and its no contest which will draw the crowd. Here in my little overpriced community just outside of Houston, Porsches are as common as fleas, as are 'vettes, Vipers, and we even have a gaggle of Lambo's. But there's only 4 Supra's that I know of, and two of them are in my garage.

Con's
Yes, it's cramped, but it's a sports car, not a sport coupe.

Well, maybe it's a bit heavy to be called a "true" sports car. Probably GT coupe would be a better description. Most weigh in around 3500 lbs, but some owners have managed to pare theirs down to 3100 or less.

The interior is noisy; with the big low profile tires, road noise gets transmitted right into the cabin. I haven't had my radio on in years, but I don't miss it. I'd rather listen to the motor. It's not the kind of car where you want to have an intimate conversation with your lady. With this car it's more like "Sit down, buckle up, hang on and STFU" My wife will no longer ride with me. Hmmm, so maybe this belongs in the Pro category after all?

It "can" be a rough riding car depending on how you mod the suspension. My blue car is lowered about an inch with Eibach's and still has the stock shocks, and I wouldn't wish this ride on anybody. I bottom out on big speed bumps and steep inclines, and railroad tracks are miserable to cross. I'm told that Tein CS coilovers will sort this out, so they'll be going on one of these days. The black car is still riding on the stock springs & shocks, and its ride is firm, but not uncomfortable.

The 2JZ-GTE doesn't have much torque off the line, until you start boosting, so that, along with the car's already heavy weight, a lightened flywheel, and an on/off clutch can make for a less than enjoyable ride. I'm thinking the 1UZ will sort this point out.

In the pic below, picture losing the cheesy wing and bodykit from the blue car, and you'd have nearly the same lines as the red car. Keep in mind, the MKIV Supra was designed in the early 90's, while that 599 GTB is a brand new model, just introduced in 2006/7! Fifteen years of design progress, and Ferrari bring out a car that is a Supra knockoff (to me anyway).

Attachments

• DSC00736.jpg
    DSC00736.jpg
    173.4 KB · Views: 6
Yeah John the Supra's look very nice... The only thing I would miss in getting one of these Supra TT's is that fabulous lowend grunt I now experience in my V8 1uz-fe powered SC400...Man, I love that instant throttle response and always have which is commonly delivered in most V8 applications.... You say the Supra's are bit gutless out of the blocks...Hmmm? The 1uz-fe transplant you are delivering up in your Supra will yeild you some nice torque which the 2jz's just can't deliver...

I can't believe you went with the Eibachs on your Supra.. You definetely lose alot of suspension action (hence bottoming out) and you get that extremely stiff ride feel...The car should handle quite well though, right? I know because I got the Eibachs too...Once they wear in the stiffness eases up some... I always thought the Supra's come stock with the factory coilovers? Is that not the case?

Thanks for the pros and cons breakdown for the Supra's... It sounds like you are very pleased with your Supra... They sound like a great car to own...

I have seen those Ferrari's at the car show..They look pretty nice to me...Close looks to the Supra's for sure...

i donno, im at 14.7 with 220rwhp, and stock 92 is maybe at 190? 50hp should yield better results than a flat 15 i would think?

Last edited by a moderator:
Jibby hasn't been on here for a few years. No maybe a lot of years.

50Hp is a lot to get out of cams.

These engines respond better to forced induction better than an NA attempts.