Results of mods on SC400

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

jibbby

I have been upgrading my 1992 SC400 for a few years and would like to share the results of all my mods...

:headbang: Precision Dragon Torque Converter - I immediately noticed a huge improvement with throttle response from a dead stop... 0-30 mph speeds were dramatically increased.... Very responsive off the line... With the torque being transfered to lowend the topend suffers a bit...There is a give and a take.. At high rpm's the car becomes slightly sluggish... To gain back the topend that is lost I would say changing out half the exhaust system to high flow will bring it back to what it was... Driveability remains the same....One of the best mods I did...$1200 installed

Apexi piggy-back ECU - While the 10hp or so is gained and felt by allowing the stock ECU to put out increased fuel and air mix to the engine, the downside is you may notice a small hit at the pumps...Helps with tuning but I did have a malfunction with this Apexi piggy back ECU...Another brand should may considered for those interested in this mod... $400 installed

:headbang: Exhaust mods - Replacing the heavy oval stock mufflers with light weight and super high flowing straight thru (Megan N1 racing) stainless steel mufflers was impressive...I immediately noticed an improvement in power at higher rpm's and increased exhaust noise...I was pleasantly suprised with the difference made over stock .....To compensate for the increased noise levels (2) high flowing stainless steel resonators were installed on the rear exhaust section..That cut the noise down in half.. $220 installed

Exhaust mods - Replacing the main center Catalytic Converter and Y pipe to high flowing also made a noticeable difference at higher rpm's to my suprise... I installed the magnaflow 2 into 1 high flowing cat with the built in high flowing Y design... Power at the higher RPM's were clearly noticed... $150 installed

:headbang: Exhaust mods - S&S Headers are vantastic and probably the most noticeable exhaust upgrade... Although the S&S Headers were designed originally for the GS models they are also being sold for the SC but there are slight differences between the two cars... What is suppose to be a bolt on mod is really not..When installed and connected to the stock exhaust system the exhaust hangs an inch or two lower so shortening, replacing or deleting the down pipes cats is required...This mod cannot be done in your back yard. $1100 installed OUCH...

Intake - I combined the BFI intake design, Rod Millen pod filter and Injen snorkel tube...A custom heat shield was also made..Improved and channeled outside air flow .No noticeable gains were felt, but my feeling is the Intake upgrade flows better then stock and allows the engine to breathe slightly better.. I still give it a thumbs up on looks alone...bling bling $200

:headbang: Flex-a-lite dual electric fan swap - In contrary to what most think there are slight power gains to be made...The engine and power feels crispier at times...Freed up room and reduced front end car weight by 20-30 pounds is a plus... These fans installed combined with a new stock size radiator cools the car better then I would have imagined.....The car now operates slightly colder at all times and I experience no cooling problems even on the hottest of days with the A/C on full blast...Noise levels are increased but it is a good kind of noise... Note: the electrical crap that comes with the flex-a-lite fans are garbage, thermo stick, control box, etc.. is all junk.. I elected to use a different control box and a heat sensor...I could not be happier with this swap..One side effect to this swap is the oil sensor light comes on every now and then on the instrument cluster..No big deal, just annoying..Need to remove the bulb. $200

:headbang: Electrical upgrades - Removing the stock big block heavy battery to a smaller and more effecient Optima battery is a good idea for weight reduction and performance...I also changed out the crispy stock battery ground wire, installed copper connectors, installed high performance spark plug wires. Also installed a hyper voltage regulator that helps stabalize the batteries electrical current...Combination of all these mods made the car run a little more crispy and more responsive..No dimming of the head lights at idle anymore, just smoothe electrical even current flow throughout...$350

:headbang: Supra Lower Control Arms and OEM bushings... After trying out the Daisen LCA bushings on my stock arms I discovered I did not like the feel at all.. I installed a new set of Supra LCA's and immediately noticed an improved feel in steering and suspension...Could not be happier..Daisens ended up in my garbage can.. $400

:headbang: Torsen LSD - I picked up a 1995 Supra tt (automatic) torsen LSD and installed it with no problems, bolt patterns are identical....The gearing seems to be very close but not identical. I did notice the speedo was off just slightly after the swap which leads me to believe there is a slight lower gearing difference change between the stock SC400 Dif. and the Torsen Supra TT Auto LSD. It is a good change in my opinion. I think that it makes the car just a little quicker and probably reduces the cars top speed by just a hair.....No more one wheel burnouts.. Improved off line traction was noticed immediately. There is also a slightly different feel when cornering at high speeds..Nothing to be concerned about just a slightly different feel which is hard to describe... Driveability is very similar to the stock open end differential. This was a very good mod in my opinion..... $500

:headbang: Replacing the stock rims and tires made a big difference in traction and looks...Reducing the rear tires diameter size and rim weight helped a bit with 0-60mph performance and weight transfer.....I went with the light weight alluminum rims and the 275/35/ZR18 tires on the rears and could not be happier... Probably reduced 40lbs in tire and rim weight from stock with this upgrade...The car really grips the road now and most importantly off the line traction was gained. The front end of my car actually now lifts just abit on launch as apposed to before...Very pleased... $1600

:headbang: Nitrous Dry system 100-150hp shot - Big Big difference in power... Immediate torque is felt at the wheels when running the nitrous oxide.. The NOS does create traction problems for me in first gear so timing the activation is key, or I may elect to change my system to a progressive system later on down the road....... Second gear is manageable but I still get loose.... Feels like the engine actually doubles in power on a good nos run... Down sides are; untimely tranny shifts at times from 2nd to 3rd gear on the larger heated shots, non-controlled ecceleration kinda stinks and bottle refills every month cost me about $80 on average..(I use the nos system often), also rear tire wear is increased dramatically. Changing, opening and closing the nos bottles is an inconvenience at times...... Other benifets that come to mind is the car remains in reliable stock N/A form. Gas mileage remains the same as opposed to an AFI setup.. Passing emmissions is not a problem..No delay what so ever with nitrous, immediate power and torque is felt when the nos is activated..No reported breakdowns to date... $1200 installed..

I am going to stop here. I am at home sick today with the flu and have time to burn..If anyone one wants to add to this post feel free...I have done other mods but I have only listed the ones that I think made a noticeable difference...This info can be used as a reference on how to make an SC400 fast...

PS: I would have put a thumbs up on all of the mods but the system will not allow anymore images, so I just put a thumbs up to the mods that made the biggest difference to me...

Here are random pics of my ride....

Yes - I finally got around to installing the S&S headers over the holiday weekend but they are not fitted to my liking. I drove it around the block a few times and noticed a pretty good power increase and that did bring an instant smile to my face..Downside is the additional exhaust header noise...Rumble Rumble..The local muffler shop needs to rework my downpipes, and allign my rear mufflers better... I will post final pic's and results by early next week when all is said and done... I would guess there is a 20hp or so increase in power by feel (that includes the two deleted smaller cats located at the downpipes).....The exhaust noise I am not to happy about but it does sound tough..., 2 more highflow resonators are going to be needed maybe......

Quebec -The post is not wallet size and I could have kept going..but did not want to torture you further ....so I cut it short and you guys got off easy and should be grateful.....Oh, and If you want a ride come on down to Santa Monica, California USA, I may even let you drive it and hammer it..

I must say my car is starting to get fun to drive even without the nos.. Well almost fun....

I might as well list some Cometic upgrades that really made the car look nicer -

:headbang: Cleaning the front head lamps are big...Removing them is not easy, but everything else is a sinch...Throw the lamps in the oven to loosen the glue, then remove the lense and clean both sides with plexi cleaner..Seal properly and the front end of the car looks like new...Very pleased with the results

:headbang: Cluster and needle lighting upgrade...Bright white package from Lextech lighting was a nice looking upgrade..However the back lighting bulbs are starting to go out after just six months...Needles are good...

:headbang: New leather interior, and the new exterior paint job transformed and restored my car almost over night...WOW, is all I can say but it cost me $2200 to do it all....Got the leather covers off Ebay for $700...

:headbang: Wood grain dash kit... A personal choice, but an interior improvement that really gave my car the finishing touches..Hides all the years of blemishes on the black plastics...$100 Ebay

:headbang: Steering wheel leather cover...Although matching the color is impossible.. The larger tight fitting feel is nice and the new stich wheel cover does hide the original sun worn leather steering wheel...A must on my 1992 SC400...Ebay $30.....

sweet, glad you got the headers installed. Add cams and then be done with. Then find yourself a nice C5 vette and cam that sucker to about 400rwhp to fulfill you crazy acceleration/handling needs.

I must continue on with a few other less dramatic performance mods -

:fing02: Removal of the stock heavy spare tire, rim and tools in the trunk along with the heavy 12 CD changer was an almost noticeable difference, can't say for sure... Traction did not suffer either...so I got to give it a thumbs up...
$ free..

:fing02: Eibach springs and tokimo shocks - This was a hard one to give a thumbs up but compared to stock I do believe there is a "huge" difference in the cars handling capabilities and looks...Down side, reduced suspension action by almost 50%, steering wheel drift on freeway (minimal). I have been running on these for about a year now and when first installed I was extremely dissapointed...However, over a years time the suspension wore in, softenend up some, wheel hop has dissapeared completely, and I believe the almost 2" drop allows the car to grip better on launches and definetely when cornering.(night and day from stock)...Got to give it a shakey thumbs up...Coilovers are still on the way. $350 installed

:thumbsdow Tower bar - When installed I could not notice any changes in handling stability or performance...The tower bar I have is not a TRD but it is a still a solid and beefy one...Not a Ebay cheap special...No difference could be noticed and this mod could be a complete waste of money...$50

:fing02: Upping the stock tranny line pressure - I can''t say for sure it actually made my car faster, but shifts seem to be more crisp and maybe even more timely... Does not slam into gears but there is a noticeable difference over stock...Downside - hard clunk and shift when going from Drive to Reverse and or Park to Drive....I would have to lean toward saying it does help a little with transmssion performance...$100

:thumbsdown: Supra Big 4 piston caliper front brake swap - Fitting them is no easy task, larger supra rotors are also needed. You will need to cut or fold back the rotor sheild...You will also need extremely deep rims just to fit in the larger calipers...Wheel spacers or adaptors can be used but then you may need to change out for longer lug bolts. You may experience steering and rubbing problems when using spacers and adaptors.... Though they look good and feel stronger once installed the breaking distance is not better then the stock 2 caliper pistons with D/S rotors and OEM pads in my opinion... I don't recommend this costly swap but do recommend changing out your stock rotors to drilled and slotted rotors and OEM pads to greatly improve your braking power over stock....

Thought I would ad the cars pics to go along with the mod write ups for curious viewers...Also if anyone one has questions about any of the mods just ask, no problem...

John,

You finally got the headers on after 1/2 year. Wow! I though you put them to sleep, buddy. :fing02: Yes, the sound from most hi-performance headers is never quiet, but it's fun once you get addicted to it. I never like the quietness from the stock SC. I'd like to know when I have the power.

For coilover, you don't really need a CS Tein, a SS Tein is good enough. I'd say it's the best bang for the buck. It's because its adjustment is pretty simple and you won't have to spend another $400 on the electronic controller.

WDoherty said:
sweet, glad you got the headers installed. Add cams and then be done with. Then find yourself a nice C5 vette and cam that sucker to about 400rwhp to fulfill you crazy acceleration/handling needs.
Cams - I kinda got away from looking at purchasing a set of kelford cams...The rev cut off limit scared me into not getting them..Still waiting for Lex to produce a mild set of re-grinds for the 1uz's at a reasonable price....

Steve, yeah those headers took forever to put in, the EGR deal was holding me up and I just couldn't decide to delete it or keep it intact...I was also a little concerned about the increase in noise but I finally decided to keep the EGR intact and go for it anyway......

Few more pics -

Thank You for spending the time to write that jibbby.

I have owned my uzz30 for 2 months now and your info is a great read. Cheers.

jibby, dude, bra............anyway you must go to a 1/4 mile track too see what these improvements add up to. Say a stock 92' running 100% could run as good as a 15.4 then you can see your improvements from that. I'm betting that your well into the 14's without nos and 13's with. It would be cool to see some n/a and nos runs.

WDoherty said:
jibby, dude, bra............anyway you must go to a 1/4 mile track too see what these improvements add up to. Say a stock 92' running 100% could run as good as a 15.4 then you can see your improvements from that. I'm betting that your well into the 14's without nos and 13's with. It would be cool to see some n/a and nos runs.
Honestly from what I think, if the stock SC runs 15.4, it would take more than 50 additional hp to get in the exact 15. Usually, it would take around 100 addtional hp to remove that 1 second on a lighter car, such as a Honda. But when the SC is a lot heavier, it'll take more power to cut down that 1 second. Well, I maybe wrong on the SC.

i donno, im at 14.7 with 220rwhp, and stock 92 is maybe at 190? 50hp should yeild better results than a flat 15 i would think?

Jibby, what controller did you decide to use for you fans?

Wdoherty - With the headers in now and my car pretty much done as far as external mods go. I am eager to fine tune, dyno test and hit the track with a few friends (Steve, James, and David hopefully soon)...I really still don't even know where a track is near my area....but hopefully it will all happen soon....

A few other mods I am still considering or have given up on are:

Mild cam upgrade as mentioned above, a possible lower differential gearing change still may happen (not many options available for that)....A possible shift kit, I could also run straight pipes and stream line my exhaust better but I don't think it will make that big of a difference in power but just alot more noise..(don't think I will do that). What else? Still would like to open up the intake somehow, throttle body, MAF, or something (but that probably won't happen)... Aluminum driveshaft kinda went out the window, too many horror stories behind that. A Carbon fiber hood and Supra seats could still be in the works if a good deal presents itself..Coilovers definetely...A Head swap upgrade I would definetely consider if I thought it would help with performance...I had put a stop to my recent stock tranny build (even had purchased the parts and had to return them) it was getting to be too expensive with labor costs for what it was worth... I read another member dumped his built up stock tranny and he said he didn't like it... I figured when and if the stock tranny blows I will deal with it when it happens...

WONDERING? Can anyone advise me on what upgradeable heads I can pick up at the yards that can be easily swapped onto the 1uz motor that will produce more ponies? I would love to be able to pick up a set of heads and just bolt them on and gain power...I am thinking maybe the 4.7 liter Tundra heads may be swapable? I think the search function maybe in order here...

xirforever said:
i donno, im at 14.7 with 220rwhp, and stock 92 is maybe at 190? 50hp should yeild better results than a flat 15 i would think?

Jibby, what controller did you decide to use for you fans?
Xir - I ended up purchasing a Bosch five wire relay box at a local import parts store, it's not really a controller box but kinda I guess... The Bosche relay or control box is well insulated and looks like it will last for years to come..It hooks into the ignition and kill switch fine and is able to operate both the fans but not independently...So far so good, and I am happy with it.....The old flex-a-lite fan control box cooked with the engine heat and completely shorted out....Plastic non insulated crap....

I did 15.4 with full trim + insulation + sound system and 100% bone stock (K&N stock air filter... let's still say Bone stock except you count the .1HP it gives)

Race prepared SC400 should make 15.2 without too much problem.

remove passenger seat, carpets, rear seats, low fuel tank and you might get 15.1 or if you're a drag god, flat 15.

jibbby said:
Xir - I ended up purchasing a Bosch five wire relay box at a local import parts store, it's not really a controller box but kinda I guess... The Bosche relay or control box is well insulated and looks like it will last for years to come..It hooks into the ignition and kill switch fine and is able to operate both the fans but not independently...So far so good, and I am happy with it.....The old flex-a-lite fan control box cooked with the engine heat and completely shorted out....Plastic non insulated crap....

so how did you trigger the relay at the temp. you wanted?

btw i have full interior

Xir - I ended up not using a temp sensor or thermostick...I tried a selco heat sensor and it failed after one day...Maybe the glue I used with it made it go bad..Anyway, the fans go on when the ignition is turned on...Fans go off when either the kill switch is used or the ignition is shut off..Plain, simple and super relaible and just the way I like it......

As far as the running times are concerned, I would like to think my car is a little faster then some of the times that are being suggested.. I have run side by side 0-60mph racing with a new stock 350Z Nissan and my best friends stock G35 Infinity from a dead start and yes that was without using nos and even without the headers.. However after 60mph or so both of those cars started to pull away from me...I know I will blow away any stock early model sc400 0-60mph without nos, and I am sure I can make it a good race or even wim with the newer vvti lexus's.....Not bragging just telling you what I think my car can do N/A without nos.....Topend gears are still suspect on my car and after 60mph there is a noticeable let off (courtesy of my Dragon torque converter, Supra LSD, and shorter tires which is the exact opposite under stock conditions...The back end of the quarter is where I will suffer (even with nos) so maybe your suggested times are correct...Who frigg'n knows.......

jibby, i hope i didn't dis-persuade you (making up words b/c i'm illiterate) with my whole rpm cut-off thing with the ecu. 6500rpm is still pretty high and there is lots of midrange power to be made probably from 3K to redline with some mild cams. You wouldn't want long duration cams in a heavy car anyway, but you should easily pick up 40-50hp with a mild set of cams on the stock ecu. Even better if lex comes up with some decent priced regrinds.