Range Rover classic 1uz vvti swap

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

tipu gurmani

Hi There guys,

I was wondering if I could get some insight and pro knowledge on my newly started project

I've just started rebuilding the rr classic 3 door for hunting, with the engine of choice being the famous 1uz vvti.

I'm new to the 1uz family but have a friend helping me with the build

So far I've gotten the the 1uz vvti and the orginal tranny coupled with the (adaptive plate) in place and ready for fitting, I have decided to go with the orginal 4 speed manual tranny for now with a mind of changing it around later,

orginal gear mounts going in and shafts staying at orginal lengths and angles. I've gotten the engine in and in line with the gear box only to run myself in trouble, the main problem I'm facing is the rr gear box is alighted a little to the left when sitting on the driving seat (left hand drive ) causing the engine to mount a little to the left aswell.

I've cut both mounts so far and hung the engine in line with the tranny only to find the engine lining up a little to the right when facing engine bay, which makes it impossible for me to have an ac compresser mounted and impossible for me to fit orginal header on the right. I can work without the ac but what about headers?

What can I do to have the engine center without cause issues in shafts and diffs while trying to come up with a solution of fitting headers?

Will post pics soon

Regards

I've had a 1UZ in a Rangie for the last 12 years.

They are a tight fit.

You can move the engine trans sideways if you want and it won't bother the drive system.

Fitting AC looks just about impossible.

I found the steering box interfered with the alternator when the engine is central in the bay. I had mine on the other side of the engine for years until I fitted a Nissan steering box.

Exhausts were custom built.

One issue is the engine sits too close to the firewall and causes problems with the heater pipes. I don't run a heater as too lazy to fix it.

The Rover 4 speed will go well but the 5 speed LT77 is hopeless and didn't last 10,000k's.

The Rover radiator works a treat so use the standard one.

Stock 1uz vvti ecu won't be happy without its native transmission
I have a solution for that if you don't plan to use aftemarket engine control system
Also worth mentioning that 3uz have better torque and its headers are better for a tight fit

Thank you a bunch,

Custom headers will be mandatory, just need to figure out details of what to consider when designing headers, found some useful stuff online,

Streering will almost fit but its really tight, there is a bolt on the engine which holds rhe ac assembly we need cut hopefully problem solved

Bypassed the ecu for manual tranny, lets hope we dont run into more trouble (which will be very unlikey lol)

When u talk about moving tranny left to right, would it not create vibrations if its moved a little to the left ??

Good luck then.
Some simple methods of a/t bypass will hide trouble codes but you would still dyno it to some 200hp at crank

No, there was no factory ECU for 1uz vvti+m/t
However any factory 1uz vvti ECU can be modified for no trouble codes / no fail-safe mode with a manual trans