R154 Issues

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

Quadcob

I have a R154 gearbox bolted to a a stock standard 1UZ in a car that weights about 1150kg that is not wanting to stay in first gear. As soon as I take off it comes out of first gear. Even when I hold it in first gear it still wants to spring out of gear when I drive off. Before I pull out the gearbox(which involves pulling out the motor as well) I would like to eliminate any problems that it might be.
If anyone has any ideas what could be the problem they would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Warren

does it vibrate abit
could be bent centre shaft pushing the 1st gear back out of selection
i doubt its and syncro or detent springs cause u should still be able to hold it in with
your hand
can u hold it in 1st if u accelerate slowly
and does it do it in any other gears which id say no as u might have said it does it in all gears
but to me it sounds like something as it spins is pushing the 1st gear back

There is no vibration, all the other gears appear to be OK although there was a rattle when in 3rd gear, but did not sound like a gearbox noise. I havn't used any excessive force to hold it in first gear.
I was thinking maybe the first gear thrust washer, but no noise from the gearbox. I will drain the oil and see if there is any thing in the oil or attached to drain plug magnet.

Warren

During my research on r154, I've heard that if the thrust washer goes, then you will have gear pop outs like you've explained. But I remember hearing that it will do this on 1 2 and 3 gear.
Have you found out your issue yet?
Charley

After looking through the internet I came to the same conclusion as everyone mentioned. I have already ordered a new thrust washer, a heavy duty bearing cover plate and billet 1-2 shifter fork from Marlin Crawler. It appears the standard bearing plate flexes and the design of the oem thrust washer contributes to its failure.
I will getting the rebuild kit from Driftmotion at this stage.
So by the time it goes back in the car the gearbox will be rebuilt to a point that it should not be a problem again, well I hope so as am about to install a Opcon supercharger on the motor.

Thanks everyone for your input.

Warren