Project LexRay :Lexus 1UZFE onto an Alpha 1 Sterndrive

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.
Bravo not Alpha

Trust this if you run a 1uzfe with an alpha you'll kick your self later.
the alpha is designed for low h.p. motors(4 cyl,6cyl). they have been mated to V8's but usually stock low output models, the impeller that draws water for cooling is too small to cool a 1uzfe, the merc. bravo is
made for the kind of power and cooling req. for a substancial v8.

You'll be just fine with the Alpha.
The 1UZFE doesn't have much torque.
The Bravo doesn't even have a water pump in it. Worst case you can bypass the internal Alpha pump and put a crank driven one on it.

Jeff

I will stick with the alpha cause thats all ive got. Im going to use the alpha pump to run raw water thru the heat exchanger and then coolant through the engine using the 1UZ water pump to circulate this round the engine and heat exchanger. On top of this im running a power steering and engine oil cooler.The heat exchanger is a brand new Mercruiser 8.3 lt unit so plenty of capacity.
I agree the 1UZ wont have that much torque on the V6 and certainly not more torque than the 350's they regularly out in front of alphas. I would consider it with i high pressure supercharger but im a long way from that at this stage.....anyway I want the thing to rev.

Still trying to work out a desirable exhaust option. Thinking of transom however looking at water rushing into the engine on reverse or when u back off the throttle. This can be avoided by using outlet flaps however my major concern is when the boat is not going and in the water, and we load the back up with people. The waterline could go over the manifold and a cylinder fills with water. I guess thats what the risers are for on a std mercruiser but in saying this im plugging along. Any options would be considered. Craig

Guys
working on building a 38' center console sports/fishing boat, there laying the fiber on the hull right now,I have two lexus engines sitting here that that I got cheap and have a guy here whos going to be maranising them for me,he's done a few already and all have worked out ok so far,there Jap imports to Thailand where im living,the origional plans was to hook them up to stern drives,I been following converteds story on his job but no out come as to if it worked out ok,but scince been swayed on the idea of going over to surface drives,instead of the stern drives the specs say they perform much better,question is, these engines I have theres very little info on them and im getting conflickting reports from different people regarding there HP rating, rpm,torque,kw all the info i have on them is that there a lexus, gasoline, V8, 4.2ltr, four cam, 32 valve, any one out there can tell me the Hp,rpm and all that good stuff or where to go to find it as we need to build a reduction box for the rpm trying to get it around 3000 rpm for the surface drives to perform well,also anybody out there any more storys on the lexus engines ending up in boats???

Hi all sorry havent been on for a while, I have been waylayed with a house renovation and also restored a 1967 cooper S mini...why I did that I never know. Anyway the kids got stuck into me a month ago and I have now finished the exhaust for the 1UZ...just transom tips out the transom and Rolco log manifolds and 45 degree rolco watercooled bends.
Im going to run coolant through the Rolco manifolds and have a 8.1 litre Mercruiser heat exchanger to cool engine and manifolds.
The boat also runs a power sterring cooler and engine oil cooler before going to engine then manifold and cycles through heat exchanger.
Reason im doing this is to save the manifolds from excessive internal corrosion and therefore ruining the engine.
So i think I have 4-5 good solid days work on it and it will be in the water to test. I should have finished in 2 weeks cross fingers.
If all good I will be looking to supercharge...

Oh BTW I was speaking last week to the guy who did this twin tubo 1UZ boat in south aus....
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=170407655759
this boat runs an alpha 1 gen 2 with a shortened leg...same dog gears inside and a 21" prop.
He est HP of 600++ and if he ran above 23" it would prob break the Alpha...
More progress later...

update 3/3/10 looking forward to having the boat in the water next tuesday, just fitting all heater hoses to heat exchanger tomorrow and electrics will be finished off by sideshow next monday.
Been 2 years plus since the boats been in the water looking forward to getting it out there.

ok guys this boat finally hit the water today...got a f3w thing I need to iron out but basically went ok.
I have a problem with the prop dragging on the gear casing ..I need a spacer in there somewhere and also had a faulty thermostat which I bypassed.
Will test again next week and get some photos and video of the boat in action.
It has a straight transom exhaust so sounds very meaty...

Nice boat Mike, the 1UZ in the Epic is a much different looking animal to the car engines. Looks like it has a plastic intake manifold as well. Im just finishing off the second 1UZ install this time with HITEK stainless manifolds, as the last engine has a seized camshaft journal. Looking forward to having the boat in the water by summer. Craig

ok guys got the boat finally going again...been a long project this one but well worth the wait.
Im going to post some photos on the site and some video on monday 3rd jan 2011, but im very pleased with the result.
The power gains over the chev 4 were amazing (not surprising since it was only a 3.0 litre with 110hp), also the tractability of the engine as well as smoothness on the water, not to mention the sound....its glorious both in and out of the boat. No muffler were fitted but still can hold a normal conversation in the boat with passengers.
The mercruiser alpha gearbox is holding well and i rarely need to go past 2000rpm at this stage. I have been to 3000rpm and it was indicating 50mph on the speedo...not sure how accurate. I will experiment a bit more with props.
I used no flywheel and engaging gear has been no issues with the motor stalling.
I can pull 3 kids on a biscuit/tube at 1500rpm all day fuel rate is around 22L/hour estimate when pulling a tube with kids.

If anyone wants to do the project it would be worth it. I would love to help and give advice. You can have a quad cam efi alloy V8 for a fraction the cost of an iron pushrod carbed chev/ford for a fraction of the price.

Trust this if you run a 1uzfe with an alpha you'll kick your self later.
the alpha is designed for low h.p. motors(4 cyl,6cyl). they have been mated to V8's but usually stock low output models, the impeller that draws water for cooling is too small to cool a 1uzfe, the merc. bravo is
made for the kind of power and cooling req. for a substancial v8.

just on this comment the pump in the alpha is more than enough to cool a 1UZ with a heat exchanger. sits on 70 dgerees no issues.
The alphas arent great i admit...but they do mate them to efi 5.7 chev in new boats so no too bad.

Bravo would be a nice to have definately not necessary.

sterndrive

I am also doing a similar set up, but for a work barge.
I have the 1UZ gearbox adapter and I have cut it down and welded it onto the mercruiser adaptor. I have also bolted the driveshaft adapter straight onto the flywheel and I am setting it up on a stand to get it all lined up and running.
I am intending on using the mercruiser exhaust yolk but will need to either source a watercooled exhaust manifold with the exhaust comming out of the center to get a riser over and down into the yolk. Does anyone know if one of these is being made yet?
I will also need help with wiring etc when I get up to that stage.
Initial plan was to run coolant through the engine and a heat exchanger and use mercruiser waterpump to cool the heat exchanger and exhaust. I would love to see your set up to get some ideas.
I'll see if I can get some pics of what I have so far.
Cheers

Hi Outrace the hytek manifold risers do come up the centre of the manifold however the runner towards the rear of the boat is a little long to fit properly onto the mercruiser y pipe I would use them however ask for the manifold outlets to be made shorter say about 4 inches.

exhaust

Just looked at the hitek site and their manifolds look quite good, fortunately I have MIG and TIG welders here so I could modify the outlet to suit.
Still a long way off right now but I think that I will use them.
I was going to make an aluminium sump pan, has anyone else allready done this??? I was a bit worried about it rusting through.