Project Daily - 1993 EB Wagon 1UZ Conversion

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.
s5300472.jpg

s5300473.jpg

s5300474.jpg

s5300475.jpg

check your diff ratio, if its stock and 2.92, it is too high. you will notice its more gutless without the exhaust too.

when mine had 2.92 diff it did over 100kmh in1st gear. acceleration was similar to a not bad XF untill 2500rpm when it really gets going.

i found 3.45 diff to be a good compromise, still does 80kmh in 1st and takes off like a hairy nosed goat.

i would guess, with 3.45diff and 10 pulse/rev transducer the speedo will be very close.

deankdx said:
check your diff ratio, if its stock and 2.92, it is too high. you will notice its more gutless without the exhaust too.

when mine had 2.92 diff it did over 100kmh in1st gear. acceleration was similar to a not bad XF untill 2500rpm when it really gets going.

i found 3.45 diff to be a good compromise, still does 80kmh in 1st and takes off like a hairy nosed goat.

i would guess, with 3.45diff and 10 pulse/rev transducer the speedo will be very close.
Yea.. i'm not fussed about the diff at the moment... Just want the damm thing on the road.

It was nice to go for a drive tho...

Me_3 said:
Yea.. Just want the damm thing on the road....
yeah i know the feeling, i have only done about 500kms in mine so far, need to find some time to finish it and engineer.

that tailshaft looks a bit scary? very long and not so strong by the looks?

the wheels make it look very clean. not something you'd expect to have a lexus motor in.
congrats on the project so far.

deankdx said:
yeah i know the feeling, i have only done about 500kms in mine so far, need to find some time to finish it and engineer.

that tailshaft looks a bit scary? very long and not so strong by the looks?

the wheels make it look very clean. not something you'd expect to have a lexus motor in.
congrats on the project so far.
Yea.. its about 5cm longer than the falcon shaft... (The wagon has a freaking long tailshaft)

The tailshaft guys knew what I was doing to it, so it should be right. Its also about the same length & size of the new hilux 4wd turbos (mabye a bit heavier) and they seem to be ok with them...

The photo makes it look long tho...

The mags did make a huge difference.. and the fact that its 4wd spec sitting up high really makes it look like a stocker...

Attachments

• DV00031.jpg
    DV00031.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 13
  • DV00030.jpg
    DV00030.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 17
  • DV00029.jpg
    DV00029.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 13
Took the beast for a run today to set the speedo adjuster.... DOH! Ran out of adjustment.. its maxed out at 99% increase. Time to buy a 2nd corrector kit...

And now my ABS usit is being stupid and won't get into diagnostics mode so I can get it working properly....

To top it off, i've got a trailer booked for taking it off to rego on tuesday next week!

Should be registered monday...

Got the blue-plate.. but missed some faulty lights at the rear so failed the roadworthy.. (That, and the ABS system decided not to work for him.. but that fault cleared on the drive home.. :) Just some crap in the ABS unit I gather.. when I flushed the lines there was heaps of crap in the system..)

Got a permit to take it home.. drives well...

I have to mod the trans-tunnel or move the gearbox mount down about 1/4 inch, as on full rear suspension travel the tailshaft is making friends with the body.. but apart from that it goes quite well.. :)

More news once I get some k's on it.. :)

FalconIV said:
thats a wicked project idea; You could put a supra 5 speed behind it for not much more couldnt you?
Define not much.. :p

Cost of supra 5 speed + clutch setup....

Deankdx has done it on his X series falcon...

http://www.lextreme.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2340

To do it would have doubled the cost of my conversion... but hey.. if you want a manual :) (And my conversion has been done on the cheeeeeeep... Total cost including upgrading brakes, buying car, buying 1/2 cut, and engineering is under $6000)

I like my auto as well for a daily driver :)

Well.. monday has gone and the bugger still isn't on the road...

Blew the brake master while testing the ABS system on sunday, so I had to rebuild that today as well as fixing an exhaust leak on one of the cats...

Booked in for wed..... should pass this time. :)

Stupid me forgot to wire in the reversing lights.. so it failed the first time..

Lowered the transmission a little, fixed the lighting, set the speedo corrector so the speedo is right on...

Now.. if he fails me this time i'm gonna spew..
bigeyes.gif

deankdx said:
cool, does it doo 100kmh in 1st?

whats your opinion on performance?
We were taking it too slow to notice the performance too much.. it was 7:30 by the time I got the brakes back together..

If its registered on wednesday, I'll be taking it for a good drive this weekend to give it a workout...

Water temps were up around the 98-100 degrees when driving, but sat there stable.. (Temp probe is in the top radiator hose...)

A little warmer than I would have liked, but as long as they don't rise it should be fine...

Me_3 said:
ITS DONE!

Finally registered today...
hump.gif
hump.gif

Drives nicely.... So i'm happy... Now to gets some k's on it to see how it goes on fuel...
Wow that is Brillient, i Know the feeling of relief and Joy you must feel.
will be good to hear of your driving experience with it.
My best fuel economy over the 900km i have done is 12Litres per 100km. that is sitting on 2400rpm @ 100kmh 95% highway driving.

Managed a 12L/100k on my last tank... (bit of everything.. town & highway...) No idea on what this tanks doing as my gauge cluster decided to poop and not count any more k's... (Speedo still works thank god..)

Still a few teathing problems...

* slight auto fluid weap on the output shaft...
* aftermarket temp gauge manages to change temp when I turn the headights on..
wtf.gif

* Tailshaft is still touching the body on full suspension travel... I've either got to modify the trans-tunnel, or lower the rear of the gearbox some more... (Hopefully lowering it a little more fixes it...)

Apart from that, it is REALLY nice to drive.. much better than the falcon engine/gearbox. I don't think i'll bother changing diff ratios for a while.. there is heaps of power the way it is, and it drives smooth.

Oh... and I need to install the air-con :)

Me_3 said:
Managed a 12L/100k on my last tank
* aftermarket temp gauge manages to change temp when I turn the headights on..
wtf.gif
hope thats not the fan controller type that sideshow is selling? think i will go for one of them,

if you dont have the sports dash with tacho its a good opportunity to get one.(will need tacho set for 4cyl)
what revs is it doing at 100kmh? if you do have a tacho?

deankdx said:
hope thats not the fan controller type that sideshow is selling? think i will go for one of them,

if you dont have the sports dash with tacho its a good opportunity to get one.(will need tacho set for 4cyl)
what revs is it doing at 100kmh? if you do have a tacho?
No.. its just one I grabbed @ rice-barn.. most likely a wiring issue...

Was thinking of grabbing a sports dash.. Will see what happens..

No tacho.. but its only just touching the throttle :p

Well, i've put just under 1,000k's on it so-far.. no major problems.........

Slight oil weep on the rear auto seal... ( on the output shaft).. so i'll have to pull the output shaft one last time.

VERY small weeps around the rocker covers, but nothing tighting them up won't fix..

considering I didn't touch the engine/gearbox after pulling it from the 1/2 cut.. (Didn't even wash it.. :) ) its a great engine..
bad.gif

I'm loving the smoothness of the engine/gearbox combo.. plenty of power, even with over 500kg in the back of the wagon..

Should be giving the car a full service in the next week or two... its still running the origional oil filter & spark plugs that the cut came with.. since there are no problems, i'm happy to give the thing a full service now :)

Well written diary
How much did they sting you for the tailshaft? I was quoted about $800.00 to make one for my ute. Are they trying to stitch me.
Thanks Momec

momec said:
Well written diary
How much did they sting you for the tailshaft? I was quoted about $800.00 to make one for my ute. Are they trying to stitch me.
Thanks Momec
About $440 including both uni's, all flanges, and slip-joint..

The adaptor was done by a local engineering company, and would normally cost about $150...