Project Daily - 1993 EB Wagon 1UZ Conversion

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.
Well... looks like i'm going to miss my expected finish date... Had to help a friend rebuild his motor over the weekend...

Got the thing out, stripped, prepped, and assembled and reinstalled over the weekend... only to have a big-end knock when fired...
wtf.gif

Out again with it during the week.... we can't thing where things would have gone wrong.. :/

(Motor is a Holden starfire 1.9l 4cyl... not exactly state of the art :p )

And things were going so well....
shrug.gif

Finally An Update

Finally got somewhere today...

Dash is back in, after a total headf**k of getting all the wiring hidden, and the EDU mounted its all fitting....

Gave the interior a quick clean and proceeded to mount the seats and interior...

I have about 4 peices of plastic that cover the back of the seat rails...

Now I need more money again...
eek1.gif

Left to do...

Tailshaft (Hopefully this week)
Exaust
Front Bumper
Flush the Brake lines
New Tires

DRIVE IT!!

Last one...

s5300425.jpg

Car needs a really good clean.. I'll get the whole interior steam cleaned once its on the road..

Now to go earn some $$ to get it on the road!

deankdx said:
good to see some more progress. i thought it would be finished by now, i might have mine going in another week(might not too???)
keep up the updates very good reading for all
thanks Dean
I was hoping to have it finished...

A combination of too much work, and not enough money after the crapload of bills thanks to a lot of the work being account customers and not getting paid until 2-3 weeks after the jobs are done..

I could get the whole thing done in a day now once I get the parts...

Getting the parts is now awaiting more funds.. :(

What did you end up doing with the temp gauge? You using the falcon sender? or have you modified the temp gauge?

Me_3 said:
:(

What did you end up doing with the temp gauge? You using the falcon sender? or have you modified the temp gauge?
yeah something i did muck around with on the XF, i went to a sender that has a similar resistance to the XF but i cant remember what it was, the lexus motor runs about 10 degrees warmer, which i think the EAs might have done anyway, i think if you fit the sender from your EA in there it will be close, i have been watching the keeping it cool thread as i am concearned about heat.

My XE dash is not working with the old XF type sender so i will need to investigate getting an XE sender that will read a little lower than if i just dropped in a std XE sender? will talk to the instrument guy again soon. maybe today?

Me_3 said:
well, i dont have to worry about overheating, i had my car on the dyno making sure the fuel pump kept up suppy(no probs) the dyno guy sat it on 5500rom for over a minute with load, no dyno fan was used(it was a 20degree C day anyway) 70degrees was measured at the top water bridge, and radiator, fans hardly came on the XE sender(you would use your EA one) fitted to the 1UZ reads 1/3 at this point on the guage, need to find a 40degree day with the air con on now to do a better test.

Hows the beast going, have you found time to tidy it up, while waitng for cash?
mine still has a few 4 hour days worth of tidying at least.
Dean

I'de be test driving today if I didn't get stuffed around by the tailshaft mob....

I'de organised to drop everything down that I had so they could make the shaft & modify the output shaft to drive a universal rather than the 3-pronged output...

Got down there after taking a day off work to sort things out and the idiot denied ever talking to me about it, and said he couldn't do the mods and i'd have to get somebody else to do it.. :wtf:

So i've dropped the output flange down at the local engineering mob, and they should be doing it monday.. then its off to find a different tail-shaft mob (not going back to that bunch of idiots if I can help it...) and get the shaft done..

argggg..... getting pissed off.. I need this car on the road now..! (current daily is about to die..)

Finally got my output flange back... They have done a nice job on it.. Pics as soon as the camera is charged...

I'll get the new shaft length measured in the next dar or so.. (Have to drive 20 mins to where the car is...)

Then its off to find another driveshaft mob...

More goodies...

Driveshaft adaptor is finally done... Now I just need a tailshaft & exaust..

I'll hopefully be ordering the tailshaft later this week...

s5300438.jpg

s5300439.jpg

deankdx said:
cool invention, but does it allow enough travel with suspension? assuming you are using a 1 piece shaft?

thats the reason for the slip joint i thought?
I'm using a 2-peice shaft ala hilux rear shaft used on the 4x4's.

Uni at the front and back, with a slip joint in the front of the shaft just after the uni...

I'll post pics as soon as I receive it....

Well... after getting held up with working weekend, and getting stuffed around by a few mobs I finally am in posession of the freaking tailshaft...

Also picked up some mags while I was down at the wreckers.. much better than the steelies that were on it.

I'll get some pictures tomorrow when there is some light just before I take it for a test drive ;-) (Well, no exaust..
gives.gif
:) )

Hopefully get it in for engineering next week...

Me_3 said:
I'll get some pictures tomorrow when there is some light just before I take it for a test drive (Well, no exaust )
Hopefully get it in for engineering next week...
cool i was wondering how you were going, Mine was LOUD without exhaust, sounds Great.

i still haven't finished mine off yet. only needs maybe a days work but i never seem to find time.
looking forward to the pics
thanks Dean

WE HAVE MOVEMENT!

Actually got to drive the beast today...
veryhappy.gif
veryhappy.gif
veryhappy.gif

Just found more work for myself... ARG!

Speedo Corrector is b0rked.. Have to get my multimeter back so I can check which setting I screwed up.. Speedo works when plugged in without it.. but its about 40% of the real speed...

ABS System is still fuxored.

Got to re-connect the heater now that I found the bloody vacuume leak that was causing hige idle & the engine to hunt...

Feels like the rear diff is geared WAY too high, but then again.. I have no idea on what speed i'm doing, what my revs are, and without an exaust it sounds like i'm doing 100k just at idle.
mischievous.gif

Not sure if the gearbox is slipping or its just the high gearing making it feel sluggish off the line.. I will know once I can do more than a few hundred meters of driving..

I'll get the speedo fixed this weekend, and fit the front bumper properly as well as fit my new temp gauge so I have a decent idea on what the engine is up to...

The driveshaft adaptor works great with the new shaft, and all bolted up well... and with some mags it doesn't look like a beat up old POS :)