Project Thread Project: 97 6-speed, SC400 supercharged 4.7L V8

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.
Drooling bro.... I talked to Neil and he stated the SS headers are out of stock and no more until middle of next year. I think you got the last one. By the way did your wife yell at you for putting the headers on the sofa?

She wasnt home so All is good. They are so clean and nice I couldnt imagine them setting in the shop yet.
I new Neil was predicting them to be out of stock for awhile, Hopfully he will get them sooner, in themean time I will see how the fitment is.

Does the AEM ECU's for these cars have any kind of reliability problems? In the honda world they are kinda frowned on round here cuz they have a habit of just not working somewhere someday down the road.

I've had an AEM in my Supra for the last 4+ years, and although I don't drive the car that much, the AEM has never left me by the side of the road.

Some pictures of more parts.
Throttle body I will use on top campared to the stocker below it.

DSCF1825.jpg
Water cooler in the intake.
DSCF1814.jpg
DSCF1815.jpg
DSCF1816.jpg
How about a nice new whipple?
DSCF1818.jpg
DSCF1820.jpg
DSCF1819.jpg
DSCF1817.jpg
DSCF1822.jpg

Looking good Scott; hope the placement of that IC will encourage more of the air to go to the rear cylinders.

Whose TB are you using?

Looking good Scott; hope the placement of that IC will encourage more of the air to go to the rear cylinders.

Whose TB are you using?

I think with a couple modifications the intercooler will become a big help for air distribution. I will try to get some pics up later.

TB is the Nissan Q45, everyone calls it the 90mm but in reality it is actually a 85mm. I dont know why they all call it a 90mm, it measures 90 on the outside but thats not where it matters. Anyway, I think it will be good for my goals. I measured it up and sent a cad drawing to Andrew and he matched machined the rear intake tube so its a perfect match.

Here is what I am working on to help with equalizing air flow. First guys I will say, I am not an expert nor do I have a flow bench so this is a experiment that I will most likely never know the real out come.

I think the intercooler will help the air flow distribution so I intend to expand on that. The one issue I wanted to try and resolve was to get more flow to the end of ports with the intercooler installed. Since the manifold is cast from thick aluminum I thought I could take advantage of that and possibly make a channel to flow the air. This really improves the flow area where the intercooler sets so I hope it will help.
Here are some shots of the work so far.
DSCF1836.jpg
DSCF1838.jpg
DSCF1839.jpg
DSCF1837.jpg
Now for the centering of the air flow to feed these new grooves. As you can see below the Supercharger exits up front. I intend to block off about 1.75" of the intercooler on the bottom side to try and force the air to the center. If you see the small black marks on the intercooler in the first pic, that is where I intend to block it off underneath. The second photo shows the underside where I will tig weld in a block off thus centering the outlet. This block off late will be about 1/4" below the core. This also will in theory force the air to travel over all the intercooler. Any thoughts guys?
DSCF1835.jpg
DSCF18401.jpg

Scott, is that grooved baffling a plate that you've added inside the manifold, or did you take a die grinder to the manifold itself? Hard to tell from the pics.

I think you've done about all you can to direct air flow to the rear. When Mitch tunes your engine, he'll be able to tell you if the baffle was successful or not.

Definitely think you're another candidate for a hood scoop ;-)

Scott, is that grooved baffling a plate that you've added inside the manifold, or did you take a die grinder to the manifold itself? Hard to tell from the pics.

I think you've done about all you can to direct air flow to the rear. When Mitch tunes your engine, he'll be able to tell you if the baffle was successful or not.

Definitely think you're another candidate for a hood scoop ;-)

That is the actual floor of the intake. it is really thick, I could have went a 1/8" deep with no worries. At least I have made a effort to direct the air to the rear, I figure it has to be better than doing nothing. There are lots of ducumented cases of these manifolds being succesful as they come, I think the intercooler helps as well. At the end of the day if I camn even slightly improve on a allready proven design then it is a good day. :)

Not excited about the scoop idea, almost rather have a big Narly bug catcher sticking out the hood but thats just me showing my age. I think there are some guys in Aussie running this under the hood but I am not sure. My M90 was really close the way it was, from my rough measurments it looks doubtfull.

Here are my thoughts. 1st off congrats for having a crack and i like your readiness to try something new. However,, i reckon you are loosing much more in flow than you'll gain in cooling with that a/w IC.

The whipple is efficient so a good water/alcohol setup like John and Rod have used is all i'd be going with UNLESS i was prepared to pay big bucks and do it with a laminova a/w setup....these are the ultimate in flow and cooling no question.

I like you flow distribution solution but i think that you can great improve thing by porting the actual intake runner mouths. What i would to is use your top plate on a flow bench and port until you can balance all the runners. I have done this on a 4 cyl plenum to great effect. A bit more work and our resident engineer can provide advice on how best to measure across the runners but i strongly believe this will provide a better result overall to your current a/w IC. Sorry,, but that style of IC is well demonstrated to be next to useless...essentially same as the cobra OEM a/w IC.

Hi Justen, Thanks for the input.
I do have a Auquamist sytem that is my back up solution if intake temps rise to high. I am hoping to run the intercooler only just for a reliable option. I am new to air over water intercoolers so any feedback is great. Andrew told me that they see about a 15 degree drop in temp using this and guys with small fans on the cooler have seen as much as 25 degrees drop. I bought the largest 2 pass heat exchanger I could get to be sure. I also plan on a large tank. If it doesnt work then Meth injection will be my fall back.
I have never heard of laminova, What is the cost of that and where would I get it?

On the intake I have started porting the mouth of the runners, but I dont have a flow bench. I will taper and smooth them out as I match them to my ported heads.

I have an idea to distribute the air evenly. I made some drawings here. I hope my concept could work for you.

Underneath the intercooler, weld a curved plate so when the air from the supercharger flows to the plate, it's directed to the center of the manifold without going to the 2 nearest cylinders.

I tried to load 2 more drawings but the server seems to be down at this time.

Hi Justen, Thanks for the input.
I do have a Auquamist sytem that is my back up solution if intake temps rise to high. I am hoping to run the intercooler only just for a reliable option. I am new to air over water intercoolers so any feedback is great. Andrew told me that they see about a 15 degree drop in temp using this and guys with small fans on the cooler have seen as much as 25 degrees drop. I bought the largest 2 pass heat exchanger I could get to be sure. I also plan on a large tank. If it doesnt work then Meth injection will be my fall back.
I have never heard of laminova, What is the cost of that and where would I get it?

On the intake I have started porting the mouth of the runners, but I dont have a flow bench. I will taper and smooth them out as I match them to my ported heads.

Laminova is just a sweet high tech a/w core system. One of the guys on hear is using this for his twin SC setup and google will bring up a few hits for you. Best a/w IC system by far and best IC system full stop for alot of applications. Quite pricey though?

Prob with your setup is the intake charge just doesn't get much contact with the core so there's little time for any heat exchange to take place. If it was a roots style i'd say yes better than nothing but with the efficiency of the twin screw i think you will lose more hp is flow restriction than you will gain thru intake charge drop. The fact Rod is running approx 20psi thru his twinscrew with just WI is great example.

Fair enough, if it's easy to change then worth a try but i'll take a pretty decent bet you'll find i'm right ;-)

Scott's internal baffle idea looks to have some merit as well.

Decided to make my own bullet proof Urethene enging mounts
Here is a cad file of the stock one.
stock.jpg
Now a cad file of the new one
new-1.jpg
Now a cad file of them over each other to show how they fit the stock mount envelope
both.jpg
Now some finished pics, They are wrinkle coat painted.
DSCF1902.jpg
DSCF1901.jpg
DSCF1900.jpg
DSCF1903.jpg