Possible new car

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

a.Lpha

My old LS400 is a dream to drive, and for a daily driver I couldn't hope for anything better! However, I'm looking for another summer driver. I've got my eye on a 1991 BMW 850i V12 with the 6speed stick. Anybody know anything about the E31 series beemers?

Attachments

• n1058786985_30116879_2683.jpg
    n1058786985_30116879_2683.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 82
My old LS400 is a dream to drive, and for a daily driver I couldn't hope for anything better! However, I'm looking for another summer driver. I've got my eye on a 1991 BMW 850i V12 with the 6speed stick. Anybody know anything about the E31 series beemers?
You'll need to set a lot of money aside for that car for repairs, figure on 1.25x your initial purchase price within the first two years of ownership for only repairs. The climate control/info screens like to go out (just like our cars) - their screens are made by Borg IIRC and I don't know if replacement LCDs can be soldered in as easily. The motors have a host of issues too, with oil lines in the head coming loose, throttle body motors failing, air flow meter problems, and some others. Remember that it's a $100,000 car and parts prices will match.

I know the costs involved, it's just really this is my favourite car of all time. I've been demolishing the internet looking for information on it, but this site here is my go to play as it seems cumulatively it knows everything!

The 750's and 850's are referred to as the $1000 cars by many mechanics, as you'll rarely escape from any garage for less than that.

Here are some of the more common problems I've heard of, and or found with my 4 BMW V12 motors: Intake manifold leaks due to their "donut" spacers deteriorating over time, overheating & blown head gaskets, motors hydrolocking (from blown head gaskets) and rods deciding to exit the block, cams eating themselves because of loose banjo's on the spray bars, and of course electrical/electronic gremlins, now that the cars are getting pretty old. Their hydraulic tappets are also known to leak down pretty quickly, causing lots of valve train noise when the engine is first started in the morning.

I too love the looks of the 850i's but I don't know if I'd be brave enough to buy one.

Last edited:
I too have always wanted a 6 speed 850, I hear they are deceivingly small on the inside for being rather large overall. I've also heard "It'll be in the shop all the time" "Those V12s are a nightmare, last about 50K miles, and make no power" ect ect.... But damn they look nice.

Last edited:
I am afraid of the repairs, it won't be a daily driver, as it'll be replacing the M3 if I do indeed go for it as the SL and M3 are awfully similar to drive.

The car has 140,000KM on it and from what I've seen it's been garage stored and there is no rust that I can find. I've yet to get it to a mechanic, but that's coming. Down side is though, I'm so in love with this car I'm already getting a clean paint-job and m6 rims priced out... silver with blacked out windows, I know this is a Lexus forum but i really think that the 850 is the most beautiful thing ever created

how much would a 91 go for in good condition?

they are going for around $12,500 in good shape completely stock

Last edited:
Buy and fit a 1gz :D

12 large doesn't seem too high to get into. If I was buying a car of this magnitiude I wouldn't expect myself behind the wheel until the entire engine was rebuilt. Top to bottom. I couldn't imagine driving an 8 series balls out knowing it's a time bomb. I'd shrug the maintanence if you have a friend whos a mechanic. Got any pics?

I think an engine rebuild would be in order, however i don't think i'd want to do a swap with the 5L bmw V12, it's an awfully pretty engine as is. this is the car now, I've really got no clue if I'm going to go through with it yet, but it is a beautiful car!

Attachments

• 2974j3j_20.jpg
    2974j3j_20.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 2
So after a preliminary check-out she's got a broken gas gage, the guy said that it got stuck or something? I'm going to have to take a closer look at that. the front left bushings are going to need to be replaced, but that's not really an issue. Everything else looks good, next step is a carfax and we'll see where we go from there.

v-12 would be fun, my friend got a 93 sl600 this that is so clean, i thought my sc was in good condition for that age. Anyhow, it has the 6.0L v-12 with 389hp and 422ft lbs. Hit punched it from a roll with 285's and it still broke traction. First v-12 i've been in and its a fun car!

oh wait, just did some quick research. Is it a ci or csi? The ci only has 322hp and 361 ft lbs which for the weight a 98 sc400 would probably be just as quick and leagues apart in reliability.

It's not so much a HP monster as it is big on torque. It is only a Ci, but I'm after this car for the looks and the fact I still dream about it. I got a great deal on a Mercedes SL at a repo auction last year, so I'm quite content in the speed department. I'm really looking for something now that looks good and will keep me eating soup and noodle cups for the next few months.

So I decided against the car above, but am still going for an 8 series, WDoherty you and my brother basically said if you're going to do this go all the way. I've found a pristine CSi with the 6speed located in Vancouver. I made an offer last night and now I'm looking for shipping information. I need to get a 2Door BMW from Vancouver BC to Moncton NB without paying completely through the nose.

So I decided against the car above, but am still going for an 8 series, WDoherty you and my brother basically said if you're going to do this go all the way. I've found a pristine CSi with the 6speed located in Vancouver. I made an offer last night and now I'm looking for shipping information. I need to get a 2Door BMW from Vancouver BC to Moncton NB without paying completely through the nose.
That CSi has to cost at least $50,000. Now you're worried about shipping it? Just fly out and drive it back!