Porting intake manifold, larger tb vs. itb's

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

WDoherty

Has anyone tried a ported upper and lower intake manifold with a larger tb on a 1uz. I have found companies that port intake manifolds and granted the dynos were on domestic cars (although modern, like a 4.6 mustang), the gains were big time in conjuntion with ported heads. Anyone out there (Erol) who has looked at the design of the intake, could it be possible if professionally ported, it could handle cams? Just a thought b/c i added it up and to go itb really cost's about 4g+ (itb set up 2,400aud, standalone1200+, wiring harness?, tuning?=$$$$). Domestics make huge n/a power all the time through conventional intake manifolds/singe tb, although some are complete aftermarket designs.

I doubt that you will get a cost effective or reasonable gain by 'porting' the early 1UZ manifold/head. The main problem is the manifold/head angle change creating turbulence and disturbing flow through the valve. You would get some gains by modifying this area but I feel it is a lost cause.

The later design of manifold as on the 3UZ would show reasonable gains.

The 1UZ, as good as it is, does have some inbuilt limitations. After all it was designed for a luxury sedan - not us hot rodders :eek:uch:

Thanks, i'm glad we have an experienced pro as yourself on this forum. Definately saves wasted time/effort/money. That is unfortunate news though, that means n/a performance for the 1uz is always going to be ultra expensive. Some people think you can redesign an engine with cams/porting etc., yet there are inherent design traits which can't be beat. I was thinking about going with a n/a 1uz in my 77 celica (RA29) project whenever i get to that car, but cost wise it just doesn't make sense. I will probably go with a 2jz/w58 combo ($500 for the whole set around here, and if i can determine if it will ruin the handling of the car or not) and eventually na-t it.

I doubt that you will get a cost effective or reasonable gain by 'porting' the early 1UZ manifold/head. The main problem is the manifold/head angle change creating turbulence and disturbing flow through the valve. You would get some gains by modifying this area but I feel it is a lost cause.

The later design of manifold as on the 3UZ would show reasonable gains.

The 1UZ, as good as it is, does have some inbuilt limitations. After all it was designed for a luxury sedan - not us hot rodders :eek:uch:

UZ over 2J in that chassis mate.

UZ will provide better handling balance and mildly tweaked will provide more than enough hp with great torque.

If you do want to go FI eventaully then not much price difference in turboing a n/a UZ to and n/a 2J.

UZ also lends itself to a cheapish M90 SC setup for even better torque

UZ FTW in my book (and i love the 2J, but only in the right chassis)

May i ask what IBS'S are?

Individual Throttle Bodies
basicly the holy grail of intake systems. mainly on Non boosted motors.

The pic below is a home build setup for a honda, a UZ motor would need two of these sets. cost to build a set like this pic.. about $200 so X2 = ~$400, so the whole statement that it would cost $2400 is hugly inaccurate, it would only cost that much if you got a top of the line super bling setup. Check this Link for a nice google gallery of verious setups for diffrent types of engines.

ITB_10.jpg

ITB's is a lost cause, for starters it is for track use only...Secondly, not boost friendly, only N/A... Thirdly, I believe them to be problematic by nature when you have eight throttle bodies you have to deal with, also they have very little filtration if any going on... However, they look good, perform well when dialed in, and you really can't create a better intake senerio....

WD..You and I are thinking alone the same lines these days... The head porting and cams is really what I am getting into now and where you can really get some gains...I am guesstimating 30-45whp with aggressive cams and another 15-20whp with some professional head work, maybe more... Both can work with boost which is nice.....So 60whp potential gains for $1500-$2000USD, is it worth it???

My biggest concern is killing all my lowend torque with those two mods as you know...

ITB's is a lost cause, for starters it is for track use only...

Seriously? Skyline GTRs Pulsar GTIRs many converted cars and almost Every current street bike???

Secondly, not boost friendly, only N/A...

Again Skyline GTRs Pulsar GTIRs

Thirdly, I believe them to be problematic by nature when you have eight throttle bodies you have to deal with,

They are not nearly as hard to adjust as you seem to think.

also they have very little filtration if any going on...

Again Skyline GTRs Pulsar GTIRs STOCK!!!!! there are many options for filtering. It's seems to become clear to me, many more options then there are for lexus cars.

However, they look good, perform well when dialed in, and you really can't create a better intake senerio....

Not to mention sound.

Seriously jibby, im not trying to be a ****, but more often then not your posts of information are way off base. last time i ragged you, you played it off like you like to have fun and im a ****, this post in no way seems jokeingly,

I make a big deal about this becouse there are many lurkers reading and we dont need a forum full of really bad information and people thinking its all correct.

just please try not to post about things you havent played with or researched extensivly.

IBS = irritable bowel syndrome

there are many lurkers reading and we dont need a forum full of really bad information

way, way too late to be worried about this one!

jake,
id be careful saying the itb setup can be done quite so cheap. materials, fabrication costs are all good if you do it yourself, if not, it become exxy very quick, even for a rough bit of transition pipe between two manifold plates. then theres bellmouths, custom fuel rails and connecting lines, the linkages and new TPS etc etc

it does add up

but i wholly agree with every one of your remaining statements. ITB's are an ideal setup for both na and FI if done right, and have only slighly higher maintenance issues compared to singles

and just for interest's sake, ive just taken a set of rb26det throttle out to 48mm. i think you could probably take the to 49mm *just* but 48mm is just on the edge of what id call safe and reliable

48mm_throttles_0006.jpg

48mm_throttles_0008.jpg

JAKE, take it easy tough guy.....Your comparing all my opinions to be incorrect based on just two manufactured cars the Skyline and Pulsar which we don't see here in the States all that often...I was stating my opinions based on the norm and in general...

Let me ask you this Jake? If they are so practical how come more and more people and car manufatures aren't using them?... Maybe one percent of the people I know that hotrod there cars go with ITB's and it's for track use only from my views... The ButterFly's can get sticky, the 8 bodies get dirty, simply not practical for most street applications... I stand firmly by my comments and I actually don't think I am delivering bad information to the readers at all, ever possibly think maybe you are Jake?????......Not to roast you Jake, but I share the opposite opinion and it is based on fact...

I have seen 8 throttle bodies in action, I have talked with pro's about them as I was concidering a set on my 1uz.....I am not speaking from my own personal experience but from others with more experience then I and they say to me don't even think about it...

I will say again to your defense when those ITB's are dialed in they can't be beat..

What do you to say to all that Jakey?.... We are all entitled to our opinions so maybe you have had good experiences with your ITB's, that is not the case with many others.....

Have you ever have to tweak the one carb to get it right..Try 8.... One thottle bodies can be troublesome...Change your intake to high flowing and you will find yourself spraying the one throttle body every six months just to keep the idle steady and keep the fly opening and closing properly..Now X that by eight....

Common sense and knowledge Jake... Don't fight it.

Seriously jibby, im not trying to be a ****, but more often then not your posts of information are way off base. last time i ragged you, you played it off like you like to have fun and im a ****, this post in no way seems jokeingly,

I am not joking now Jake and I do take offense to this comment of yours....Please show me where I post way off base before posting such a bold comment..????????????...:261:

Oh and Jake I would be careful about saying in your posts that the ITB's can be done for quite cheap... I think ED ma61 said something to that effect too on this thread... Now who is posting up bad reads Jakester???????

A1 turbos has a itb setup for the 1uz. And filtration is easy as long as you create a plennum for the cones. It's definately not a cheap thing to do but then again what power mod is. We've done itb's to 4ag's KA's and i've seen the setups on pulsars also. Maitenance wise they weren' much different form the standard tb setup. Also more than likely on the 1uz youd have to switch over to a map sensor to allow for better tuning. And it can be a paint in the ass to synch all 8 butterflies. But, i still wouldnt all it "for track use only" It all depends on the user. And the reason why most manufacturers dont use them is because of cost. Peformance always takes second seat to cost/profit when it comes to production. Even though the companies and get greater performance and equal maintenance it leaves more possible problems created by the consumer leaving to false warranty claims and what not. It's just easier for the car companies themselves. The time when ITB's were on production cars was also the time where tuning was at it's peak the late 80's to early 90's Where people took their little honda civics and celicas and built the to compete with the big boys of the street. As for it being practical i'd say that was in the eye of the beholder. As for saying its for track use only .. id say no way same could be argued for turbos or nitrous ect. As for it being simple and cheap id say no way lol... Making the itb may be cheaper by doing parts yourself say under 1k but the fuel management isn't gonna be. Most likely a stand alone will be necessary.

Ok, I can agree the ItB's is not track use only...I stand corrected...Just every application I have seen just wasn't up for that street worthy task...

Well said Ursus...A man with intellegence and true experience with his posts...