Phenolic Intake Spacers

PARTS FOR SALE: Send an email to [email protected] for availability.

Zuffen

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have a manufacturer in Australia who is interested in supplying phenolic spacers to suit a 1UZ.

For more information on what these spacers can do check out this article in Autospeed http://autospeed.com:80/cms/A_110474/article.html (I hope it works) and you will see some interesting benefits.

Price is not yet confirmed but the first set is $200.00 which I'm happy to wear but later sets will be much cheaper.

Please let me know if you are interested and I'll get a GP price early in the week.

You may need to change the manifold studs as these are 13mm thick which should reduce plenum and manifold temps by 30+degrees.

This is one area of the 1UZ no one has explored.

cribbj

"Supra" Moderator
Staff member
Rod, I'm good for 1-2 sets. I'm assuming we'll have to machine off a corresponding 13mm from each side of the manifold so these will fit?

JustenGT8

Just be aware you SC guys that it'll change your belt position and length.

Rod, have you thought about what this will do to the injector position?

I'm keen, just thinking my way thru potential issues

spf_lexus

justin- why do you say it will change belt lengths? the upper/lower plenums dont affect the front of the engine, I would think hood clearance w/ a roots blower could be a problem but I dont know, I cant go any higher on mine, my strut bar is 2mm above TB, no way lol. Anyway to machine the lower plenum to compensate? maybe reweld the bolt flanges accordingly?

Jake Breyck

justin- why do you say it will change belt lengths? the upper/lower plenums dont affect the front of the engine,
he was refering to people with m90/m112/wipple setups where the supercharger is on top of the intake.

hood/strut bar clearance may be an issue for some people, if its already close then you may have an issue.

Zuffen

Super Moderator
Staff member
Justen and Jake are 100% correct.

Raising the manifold will affect both belt length and hood clearence.

Personaly if I have to buy another belt so be it!

If I had to chop my hood (Bonnet) to make it fit differnent story!

Once I get a set I will try them out and let you know what I think.

I know I will need longer studs on the manifold, but the heat soak benefit will outweigh this.

Zuffen

Super Moderator
Staff member
I've now heard back on the pricing.

$70.00 per set (two spacers) if we order 10 sets and $60.00 per set if we order 25 sets.

The above will be plus postage from Sydney.

Can we firm up numbers and I'll get it rolling.

1. Zuffen

Interestingly he mentioned using it under a supercharger to keep heat from the engine rising into the blower.

I plan on buying two additional pieces to go under my manifold.

We could see benefits in using between the upper and lower manifolds as well.

Let's hear from you.

Lextreme

Just call me "Lex"
Rod,

13 mm is 1/2". Besides the studs length change. I think the angle of the bolts might be an issue. I remember few years ago with my .094" copper head gaskets. It affected my lower intake bolts too. So with 1/2" increase, I humblely think you might have difficulty bolting the lower intake to the heads.

Zuffen

Super Moderator
Staff member
We'll find out tomorrow if 12mm alters the way the manifold sits.

I'll do some dummy tests with 12mm timber battens.

Brett,

Do you want to join me?

Cobra

Love to Rod but I am doing a Power Cruise from Eastern Creek to Penrith on Sunday.

I don't think the spacers will be a problem as long as the mounting holes are drilled at the correct angle.

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

Zuffen

Super Moderator
Staff member
Ok, I tried my manifold on with 12.5mm spacers and I can just get it over the mounting studs. Another .5mm in the mounting holes and it would drop straight on.

The potential problem I see the machinist can only work two dimensionally (machine restriction) so the bolt holes and port openings will be perpendicular to the surface of the spacer.

The studs on the head are verticle and the mounting surface is around 25degrees off horizontal.

This all means we would need to do a little hand finishing of the spacers to get a perfect fit.

If the ports are machined the correct size we would end up with a step at the bottom on the outside of the head and a ledge at the top on the inside of the head. I hope that makes sense?

The alternative is to get them cut to shape with the mounting holes drilled and the ports machined (say 5mm) undersize so we can make them as good as we all individually want.

I'll talk with the machinist and see what he thinks.