Odd head and cam question

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

cjsupra90

Ok, I know this sound odd, but does anyone know if the no VVTi cams would fit and work in a VVTi head?

My reason for asking is that I just talked to a guy here local to me and he is selling me a pair off VVTi heads from a 3uz for $100 for the pair, but the cams are missing from both heads. So I was thinking that for the time being, I would use my Non VVTi cams until I hunt down a set of VVTi cams if possible for a reasonable price. Something tells me that they wont, but I am hoping that some one will chime in here soon cause I was planing on installing the heads on the block either tonight when I get back from picking them up of first thing in the morning.

Thanks in advance for any info.

Chris

well just got home with the heads and yeah, I instantly realized that it will not work. There is no releifs for the non VVTi cam gears......

Deffinitly not going to work.

well just got home with the heads and yeah, I instantly realized that it will not work. There is no releifs for the non VVTi cam gears......

Deffinitly not going to work.

Since you have both combo's of 1UZ now, it would be cool if you could score a set of 2UZ heads, cams, and intake, then mix and match & see what fits!

John,

I have a set of 2uzfe heads and upper intake manifolds. I think the post 98 head parts are NOT interchangeable. Supra90, there has been few posts about the mix and match between the engines in this forum somewhere.

David, I know this has been talked about in the past, but it would be useful if we could make a cross reference table of what works with what. Below is an example - sorry for the quality, but Excel doesn't translate well to JPEG. Obviously we don't know how well 2UZ heads would work bolted onto a 1UZ block, but this would only indicate whether they "mechanically" fit or not.

As you can (maybe) see, I already filled in the easy bits, now there's only 240 more combinations to try out!

Not a problem John. Unless someone can find a complete heads and above then it would work. That means heads, cams, lower and upper intakes along with proper piston design. However, you can use 1uzfe VVTi pistons for the post 98 heads. Getting it working properly, then you need parts from few engines. For example,

*1uzfe base engine
*VVTi 1uzfe pistons
*3UZFE or 2uzfe uppers

You can find these parts in many junk yards because I have seen all of the 2zfe blocks in junk yards have broken rods. Funny you asked. 2uzfe have head gasket thickness of .040" or something like that. For my situation where 2uzfe block is use with 1uzfe uppers (heads, cams, intakes), I have to use 2uzfe head gaskets with .051". I guess I can prepare a spread sheet like yours. However, the one u posted is very hard to view.

I was going to try 2uzfe block with 3uzfe uppers. I think this is the ultimate combo. The 2uzfe provide larger cubic and 3uzfe heads and cams were well design.

I haven't really looked into the VVTI stuff and there was originally no intent on running it, but are we even sure that the heads themselves are different between the post 98 engines and its not just different cams or valve train gear. I wouldn't think that Toyota would have changed the basic casting being that they are all "UZ" class motors. They didn't do it to other engines so I cant see why they would have on the UZ motors except with the addition of VVTi

I don't mean to pick or anything but you need to check that UZFE FAMILY COMPATIBILITY pdf file you made.
eg: follow the cam line from 1UZ to the 3UZ and it's says N (for not compatible)
but go down to the bottom of the chart to 3UZ and check the cam line for 1UZ and it says TBD.

You'll find there are heaps of conflicting lines.

Don't take this the wrong way, Just try'in to help.

Also I could be wrong and there is a reason for this?

Thanks for the feedback. The mistakes were changed.

Note: I put heads are TBD because you will need more then just heads to be interchangeable or compatible. Proper piston design, lower intakes, upper intakes, hardness, ecu and basically everything from block up.