Obd2

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.
if the ecu has the newer style plgs with 3 rows of pins then its obd2
if its the old school plugs then its not obd2

OBD2 protocols

.. The protocols are something like:
ISO9141-2 (Asian)
J1850 PWM (Ford)
J1850 PWM (GM)

So yeah, I'm gunna be playing around with OBD2 and code readers, displays... O2 values in paricular... I have just assembled a Jaycar digital fuel adjuster, because when the LS was on the dyno, it read that it was rich everywhere, so i'm sure i can tune it for better economy....

yes those jaycar fuel adusters are the ducks guts
hahahahahahahha
if its rich everywhere just back of yr fuel pressure hehehehe
i think u might find its only rich at around full throttle
if u redyno it but try using 75% throttle then mixtures might be good

OBD2 stuff

yeah possibly i'm not sure.... i have a Dynojet air fuel gauge with 10 minute datalogger and an EGT gauge.... i read in an autospeed magazine that a Honda (something) was getting 25.1 AFR in closed loop and ran perfectly..... I'm also intending fitting a mappable water vapor injection, Snow or Cooling mist..... I just wanna see how little fuel i can get away with...
It'll be interesting what the cars own O2 sensors are reading thru the OBD2 port....

if your going to read facotry o2s dont use them for hi end mixtures
doubt they would be as accurate as that motec unit int he autospeed article

also be wary of what u read in magazines and online articles

Air Fuel Ratio

Yeah i know, i don't axcept magazine articles as gospel, however ive been reading julian edgar stuff for years and i like him..... it was interesting that the honda ran at 25.1 thou....
I also read an article of his about 'negative pressure' in the intake.... measured with a magnehelic gauge
http://www.autospeed.com/cms/A_109217/article.html
so, i bought a magnehelic gauge on ebay for $10 ($25 freight from USA) and when i get my car back (from the panel beaters) i'm gunna do some testing on my cold air intake. I already have bought one from a wrecker in Qld but i need 2, so i can cut them up and make a 'better' one. When i had my car at the dyno, the air scoop was in the boot (it sounds HEAPS better with it off!!!) we had 189rwhp... so we put the scoop on to see how much power we would lose and to my disbelief it went up to 209rwhp !!!
Yeah, it gained 20rwhp fitted on.... so on close inspection, this scoop is a real work of art.... its a beautifully made thing inside designed to 'speed the air up' as it enters the airbox.... it has 3 distingt cells, a damper box and i guess it looks like a venturi as it goes into the aircleaner... so we've decided to keep the origional, and get 2 more to cut them up to make one twice as big with twice as bigger intake area with 6 cells instead of 3 and twice as big 'venturi' as it enters the airbox
(we'll need another airbox as i suspect i'll be vandalizing that to..... tune it, then go to the dyno and see if ive got gains or loses.....
(any bets ?)... i'm aiming for 5hp gain. :)

ps: picture... sexy looking 1UZ

Attachments

• TONYS  1UZ with 8 bellmouth's.jpg
    TONYS 1UZ with 8 bellmouth's.jpg
    188.8 KB · Views: 8
u have to be carefull not to speed up the air going into the air flow meter
if u want powr fuk the ecu off and fit aftermarket

ive seen 5 1uzs run like shit and all 5 custoemrs did not believe me when i said
its the air box bolted to air flow meter
it sped the air up and cuased wrong readings on the air flow meter compared to that load and revs

anyway just paly aorund and u might make it better or worse
see hwo u go

Air Fuel Ratio

Here's a pic of my tuning kit.... Wideband AF gauge and 10 minute datalogger (records TPS, RPM and AFR), EGT gauge and the '98 LS400 hi-tech cold air intake....

Attachments

• IMG_4208.JPG
    IMG_4208.JPG
    93.2 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_4185.JPG
    IMG_4185.JPG
    91.1 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_4188.JPG
    IMG_4188.JPG
    84.7 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_4189.JPG
    IMG_4189.JPG
    92.2 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4190.JPG
    IMG_4190.JPG
    102.6 KB · Views: 4
Air Fuel Ratio

I'm kinda hoping i can keep it all in tune with my instuments and trusty Jaycar DFA. I just make sure that no matter what i do i can always go back to STD at any time. (so keep a STD airbox,airscoop etc).
I spent 20 years building and racing motorcycles... i had crankshafts made, cylinder heads cast up, custom self generating ignitions, made my own airboxes and ram air systems.... now i'm 50 and couldn't be bothered with modifying bikes anymore, its all been done.... and besides, ive been spoilt with the Lex.... now i just want to see how much i can improve fuel economy without losing any power....

Air Fuel Ratio

What do you mean 'what sort of timing' ?

ps: here's a photo of one of the magneto ignitions i used on the superbike.
Its a Krober, German made, and no battery.... I fell in love with magneto's after i had no end of trouble with total loss, battery ignitions. I had so mant DNF's due to 'battery' ignitions. They only have one fault, they have no rev limiter so if you miss a gear the engine can blow up. :(

Attachments

• 3 pole Krober.JPG
    3 pole Krober.JPG
    33.6 KB · Views: 17
i had my scanner on a std crown 1uz and it read up to 50 degrees advance when cruising at 100 kph and very light throttle
not sure how accurate scanner is but they were the figures
mine used to ping on a very hot day but as soon as throttle went over 90% it would dump fuel in no matter what revs or what load
seemed like throttle related and in my head i had ideas on how to get throttle reading less without compramising stuff but just always been to busy to stuff aorund with std ecu and now i sold my 1uz a year ago and really lost interest

Sorry, I meant how much timing advance does it run at cruise rpm?
Advancing the timing to suit the fuel you are running can be fairly beneficial to your economy goals, along with some leaner mixtures. Ls1's in the commodores can run up to 17:1 and 40+ deg advance(factory setting) when in "lean cruise" mode at light throttle openings at highway speeds.

40 degrees is how much the timing is at normal
Driving cruising speeds
Say around 60 or 80 kph at light throttle
Which I've seen it at around 50 degrees advace at those
Speeds

Ignition timing

I've looked in the workshop manual and it only says 8-12 degrees at idle
but nothing about what it might be at cruise....
Any idea how i could find out ? ('98 VVTi)

O2 adjusting

If i want to control what the O2 sensors are telling the ECU, how do you go about this ?
There's a mob called www.fuelsaver-mpg.com who claim to have such a device... anyone heard of these ?

Attachments

• quad_wideband.jpg
    quad_wideband.jpg
    8.4 KB · Views: 13
  • quad_wideband_key.jpg
    quad_wideband_key.jpg
    17.6 KB · Views: 12