Newer Hiace V8 Conversions

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.
Fair enough, Kelvin! It's good to be busy doing what you love. If I need to get moving on this before you've had a chance to make up a proper kit, I'll just PM you about the parts I want to purchase from you.

Do you have any thoughts about using UR engines? I see that George_R can also de-immobilise them. It's unlikely, but there is a scenario in which I might end up with a donor Tundra 5.7 (the whole vehicle).

Ciao,

JZH

Time flies! ;)

Speaking of donors, here in the UK I think I can get a complete, running 2004-06 LS430 (6-speed verison) for under £3,000. Like this (mis-identified) 156k-mile 2004 model: https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classi...tion=at_cars&price-from=500&make=LEXUS&page=1

Engine, trans, ECU, wiring harness, shifter, ECT switch, maybe the instrument panel, complete headlights/washers (to cannibalise for retrofitting to the Hiace), and I could still sell the rest of the body/chassis to someone for parts. It is an attractive proposition because I'd know everything at least worked before I started! It also makes proving the origin of the engine to the DVLA easier, because I'd have the registration document (V5C).

The alternative would be to buy the components separately--and I wouldn't have to deal with pulling the parts or disposing of the car later.

Hmmm...

Ciao,

JZH

I have no issue paying a little more in the beginning for the right stuff all matching from one donor. My suppliers know if they send me crap I'll send it back and having good stuff generally saves time in long run.

Sounds like a plan! I've just checked with my local council, and even if I can't get anyone to pay me for the shell, they will take it away for free. I was afraid I'd be stuck with paying loads to recycle hazardous materials, etc., but it appears that my taxes are already paying for it...

Electrics question: Assuming I could physically fit the panel into the Hiace dashboard (somehow--I'm not above a little hacking), could I use the LS430 instruments instead of the Hiace ones? And could I possibly be so lucky that a Lexus multifunction steering wheel would fit onto the Hiace steering column? That would be awesome!

It's not clear to me what can/must be controlled by the Hiace's ECU, and what can/must be controlled by the Lexus's ECU. The engine and trans obviously need to run off the Lexus ECU, and I believe George_R had mentioned that the A/C idle up/mag. clutch request signal and (Hiace) instrument panel could be adapted to run off the Lexus ECU. I presume the cruise control would hook up directly to the Lexus ECU (as there was none on the Hiace).

I don't want to re-wire the entire vehicle, though, so if I have to run two ECUs anyway, maybe it's best to just keep things separate.

Cheers,

JZH

You may well find that DVLA/DVSA will rain on your parade when you swap an engine nowadays. If you swap like for like and just want an engine number change, you may just get away with no interference, BUT, if you want to change the capacity, AND, God forbid change fuel type also, you might have to jump through hoops.

Provenance for the engine, official receipts, independent engineer report, to name a few. Be warned, If they want to inspect it themselves, and they find you have chopped the monocoque or the front crossmember in any way, you may end up having to have an SVA test and re register it, with all the fees ……….. its all about the money after all.

You may well find that DVLA/DVSA will rain on your parade when you swap an engine nowadays. If you swap like for like and just want an engine number change, you may just get away with no interference, BUT, if you want to change the capacity, AND, God forbid change fuel type also, you might have to jump through hoops.

Provenance for the engine, official receipts, independent engineer report, to name a few. Be warned, If they want to inspect it themselves, and they find you have chopped the monocoque or the front crossmember in any way, you may end up having to have an SVA test and re register it, with all the fees ……….. its all about the money after all.
I may, but there are precious few accounts online of this actually happening--mainly just people like you, wagging fingers...

My project, by the way, is still "on", but I'm working through some financial issues at the moment, so I have yet to be able to buy the donor LS430 or the conversion parts I need.

Ciao,

JZH

This looks like something I'm very interested in doing as well. I'm in the far north of New Zealand and sizing up a work van at some stage. I'm considering a LWB H200 Hiace (petrol preferably but dunno if they made LWB with the 2TR engines) but I also have a 2000 LS430 that I'm having a real hard time trying to sell, so it could potentially be used as a donor car for the conversion.

Lucky you! If I lived in NZ I would definitely be giving Kelvin a call.

Covid has (temporarily) stopped progress on my swap, so I've been working on the interior in the meantime. Boring, but necessary!

Ciao,

JZH

How'd this go @JZH ? I guess the pandemic put most things on hold. Looking to import our own HiAce soon (don't mean to cramp your style!). Also London based so can only looking at the 2l engines

How'd this go @JZH ? I guess the pandemic put most things on hold. Looking to import our own HiAce soon (don't mean to cramp your style!). Also London based so can only looking at the 2l engines

Welcome to the forum--why a Hiace? There are a few other H200s in the UK, though I've yet to see one on the road.

I'm still "working" on the V8 conversion--in my head, anyway. So I'm still shopping for my donor LS430. Saw an '06 on eBay the other day for £3k. Only 323,000mi...

But I think I'll hold out for something with 200k or so fewer miles!

Welcome to the forum--why a Hiace? There are a few other H200s in the UK, though I've yet to see one on the road.

I'm still "working" on the V8 conversion--in my head, anyway. So I'm still shopping for my donor LS430. Saw an '06 on eBay the other day for £3k. Only 323,000mi...

But I think I'll hold out for something with 200k or so fewer miles!
Thanks for the welcome, it's great to find the forums like these, still on a steep learning curve with HiAce's. We've decided on the H200 as a sort of camper base (after a couple of years looking at the Mazda Bongo, Elgrands and Alphards!). But we were recommended them for their reliability and better living space for longer trips. Unfortunately they are so popular the right one is hard to come by (for the right price) but just got to wait.

Will follow this with interest, just good to know it can be done, hopefully you find a donor soon. Will continue to look for any other H200 info in the meantime (any recommendations?)

In theory, there ought to be a lot of English-language information about these vans in Australia and New Zealand, but I have never found an active H200 modification community in English. TBH, I am struggling a bit to find accurate information, but I'm probably doing okay with online translations and whatever other tidbits I can find out there.

One V8-related thing I'm still not sure about is how I'm going to get the old engine out and the new engine in! I don't have a vehicle lift or even a large garage (and no prospects of having either of those things any time soon), so I'm going to have to sort something else out when I do reach that point. Fortunately, I do have a welder and I'm not afraid to use it.

My non-V8 conversion focus is not as a camper, though I'm insulating the interior and doing all kinds of electrics work which would cross over to a camper conversion. Mine is supposed to become more of a comfortable, sporty utility vehicle I can use to transport my family, some bicycles and a single motorbike to various locations in Europe. I've got 220v shore power, an AC-DC fridge, an inverter, breakdown tools, a good stereo, etc., but no bed, cooking or water supply stuff. And, one day, an engine that makes it much more fun to drive...

Good luck finding your Hiace. Although mine has crazy low mileage (er, 31,500km...) I've never had anything go wrong with it since I bought it new in 2013. I think if I were to do a camper conversion I would probably want a "high roof" version, but the trade off is access to parking garages, which I've found is quite useful when travelling in Europe (staying in hotels, which I guess wouldn't be an issue if we'd been camping!) I have heard of people importing them into the UK as camper vans, and I've seen them pop up on Autotrader from time to time.

Ciao,

JZH

So good news, managed to pick one up in an auction this week. Still have to wait for it to be shipped over so a good few months before we get our hands on it but slowly becoming more realistic. Yeah only really a semi camper conversion, more like yours than a 'classic' camper. Lots of work to do to convert first as it's actually an old hospital/care home bus (high roof) still with the wheelchair lift in the back! Won't pollute this swap thread any more with my waffle on that front. Long time before I even think about the above so hopefully you've had some success.

Might have to ping you over a few H200 questions if I come across anything as you are also London based, you may have found a good garage or something, but as you say they have a reputation for being rock solid so hopefully no issues!

About your search for a donor, you looked at importing from Japan? Just thought there may be more source material but I guess importing would be a headache/extra cost?

Cheers

H

Congratulations! Which year? I did the IVA/SVA thing myself, and it wasn't a problem at all. All I had to do was add a rear fog light and switch, and fit an MPH speedo face from Lockwood. Insurance was more of a problem, but I ended up with Direct Line. I'm still not sure they realise they're insuring a rare import, but I gave them all the facts they asked for and they're the insurance experts! I use Tech-One in Sidcup for servicing and MOT. As I said, nothing's ever gone wrong with the van, but they seem like they could deal with it if it did.

There are plenty of LS430s here, so I'm not looking to go through the import hassle again, just to get a donor car. At some point I'll just buy one!

Btw, you probably won't find aftermarket wheels here. I searched for ages and ended up having to buy from Japan (via Miguel at New Era Imports, a fellow motorcyclist I knew from a UK forum who now lives in Japan). The bolt pattern and offset are unique to the Hiace. I found a few decent looking sets that would fit, but the offset was wrong and would have limited my tyre choices. Happy to help with other stuff along the way. Good luck with the import!

Ciao,

JZH

Top tips, am talking to the guy in Japan about wheels but had wondered if it were possible to get some here. I'll make sure I get some to come with the van! Also, Sidcup is right near us (Lewisham) so very handy to know. Once it's here, registration and insurance will be the next hurdle but been done before so hopefully no issues for us.

We got a March 2011 to avoid the IVA the guy helping us import recommended to avoid it as he said often as it had no axle weight on the chassis plate (or something like that!) it might throw up more problems. Fitted our budget too but interesting to know you didn't have an issue. Has 70K miles, slightly high but hopefully the everlasting nature of the HiAce will mean it's not an issue. Saw some coming through the auctions at 950,000 Kms so if those are still running....

Last edited:
Reactions: JZH
Good stuff. Lewisham is very close to where I live in SE London, so if you ever see a blue Hiace driving around, it's me!

Ciao,

JZH

By way of update, I am still doing the world's most prepared Hiace V8 conversion--meaning that I still haven't started converting anything. But I am periodically revising my wiring diagram, designing something to solve a problem or investigating this or that, so when the opportunity finally comes to actually drop engines I will be ready!

Life has got in the way, as they say. I'm now considering buying the engine and transmission separately, rather than a donor LS430, mainly for cost reasons. I also now don't think I will need any extra parts or modules from the donor--I've mostly done my wiring diagram using Yuri's LS430 instrument panel converter box and otherwise standard or available parts. I've also worked out how to get all the new Toyota terminals and connectors (and spec55, DR-25, etc) I will need to make my own custom engine wiring harness to fit the Hiace engine bay with the ECM under the dash. The plan was to make the new harness on the donor engine this winter and do the swap itself in the spring/summer...

But I'm also moving out of the UK this year, fortunately somewhere in which conversions like this are apparently permitted, so in addition to getting a lift I will have to learn a new system and find people who can help (and in a foreign language).

But it will happen!

Ciao,

JZH

20220516_174823x.jpg

Hiace Detailed Re-Wiring Diagram v5.3x.jpg