Newer Hiace V8 Conversions

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.
Yes sure, pm or (better) email me, I also have ready to go ecus
I also have a collegue in UK (Somerset) who can help wiring it

New problem to solve: UK annual MOT emissions testing.

The fact that my van is a personal import into the UK (with no identical UK model) means that it should be somewhat easier to pass the annual emissions test, but it will still have to pass one. The way they do it here appears to be that the vehicle needs to meet the emissions limits applicable to the chassis (2013), rather than to the engine (2001-2006 for 3UZFE), and if there was not a UK-spec model of the vehicle, the "Basic Emissions Test" applies, which has CO limits of 0.3 at idle and 0.2 at fast idle, and an HC limit of 200ppm. I'm not sure if a catalytic converter is required even if the test can be passed without it.

Looking at the emissions table for all Lexus V8 engines sold in the UK I see that most of the 3UZ engines, were certified to meet CO limits of 0.5 and 0.3 (HC is the same). Only the later GS430 3UZs (i.e., the 6-speed auto trans versions) seem to have been certified at the lower limits--but not those used in the LS430 or the SC430, either 5-speed or 6-speed. Most of the engines I see here are from LS430s, and I think I also need the rear sump from an [EDIT: non-SC430], so this is not good news.

It may be that all of the 3UZ engines will actually meet the BET emissions limits, but I don't have any proof--and waiting until my van's first MOT would be a very bad time to find out that it didn't...

More recent engines have lower emissions, of course, but I've never heard of anyone using a 1UR-FSE engine in an H200 Hiace, which would put me much more on my own than I already am with the 3UZ conversion, and they are still very expensive second-hand.

Right now, I think I'm going to have to somehow find one of those late GS430 engines with a 6-speed trans, and then find an [EDIT: non-SC430] rear sump or buy an aftermarket one. Are there any better solutions?

Cheers,

JZH

[EDITED: SC430s have front sumps.]

Last edited:
Sorry, I confused myself a bit there! I've been trying to check sump locations on the various 3UZ engines we have here in the UK, and somehow confused the SC430 with the other 3UZs, which have rear-ish sumps.

SC430 engine.GIF

SC430 engine2.GIF

At least, they did in the US models...

Most 3UZ engine ads I see on eBay and elsewhere don't mention exactly which vehicle the engine came from, instead they just say the engine will fit all LS/GS/SC430s from 2001-2010, which isn't especially helpful if you don't already have a broken engine to replace.

Since writing the post above this one I have also been reading through Lexus UK press releases about the various models and I have concluded that the UK government emissions tables are probably not entirely accurate, because they fail to account for changes to the LS430 and SC430 that Lexus consistently claims to have made. It appears that there were essentially two different versions (from an emissions perspective) of 3UZ engine. Both versions were allegedly Euro 4 compliant--even in 2001--but the later version had somewhat better emissions figures. (The Euro 4 standard applied as of 1 January 2005; and I think the references to "Step IV" below are to what we now call Euro 4.) The claims made by Lexus UK upon the launch of the various models are quoted below:

Engine:
  • LS430 2001-03 (UCF30); “ultra low emissions (Step IV)” “CO2 emissions 289g/km” “417 Nm of torque” “281 DIN hp” “0-62mph in 6.7 seconds” “kerb weight 1,830kg”;
  • SC430 2001-05; (UZZ40; JDM only) “282bhp” “419 Nm of torque” “0-62mph in 6.4 seconds” “CO2 emission 287g/km” “meets the 2005 step IV emissions requirements” “kerb weight 1,740kg”;
  • GS430 2001-05 (UZS161); “GS430 even meets Step IV [emissions regs]”;
  • LS430 2004-06 (UCF30?); “meets all forthcoming EURO IV standards” “279bhp” “417Nm of torque” “0-62 in 6.3 seconds” “kerb weight 1,830kg” “CO2 emissions 270g/km”;
  • SC430 2006-10 (UZZ40?); “CO2 emissions 269g/km” “0-62 in 6.2 seconds” “282bhp” “419Nm of torque”;
  • GS430 2006-07 (UZS190) “279bhp” “417Nm of torque” “0-62mph in 6.1 seconds and has 155mph top speed” “CO2 emissions: 269g/km” “1,695kg kerb weight”
I appreciate that automotive PR departments are not always reliable sources of technical information, but I have even less confidence in government departments, unfortunately!

The only thing I'm not certain of is the engine codes for the later SC and LS; the GS changed its code, but I can't find new codes for the other ones. Anyway, the ~20g/km reduction in CO2 output coincided with each model's switch to the 6-speed A761E transmission, so I now think all I need to do to ensure that I get one of the "cleaner" 3UZs I need (and get the right sump) is to make sure that it has a 6-speed auto box and isn't from a Soarer/SC430.

Ciao,

JZH

Any 3uz ecu is reprogrammable. You can get either one and reprogram it to whatever you need (i.e. take SC430 part , reprogram it and you have GS430). Sump is interchangeable with 1uz (one set is aluminum base + steel bowl + pick up line)

As far as I know mot rules, you just need to be on the same emissions level as your car which is E3 but I may be wrong here

Great to hear that the ECU won't be a problem, George. The van is currently Euro 5, but diesel; the Lexus 430s are Euro 4. These are different standards, so I have no idea what the DVLA will do when I inform them (as I am required to do) that I have swapped a diesel engine for a petrol engine, but there isn't any rule against it. As far as I know, they will simply change the registration document to reflect the new engine--but they won't have any certified emissions information about the new engine, so my registration document will not have any emissions figures on it. I will have to prove what the engine is, probably with a receipt or invoice from wherever I purchase it.

Kelvin, I was looking at your videos and TradeMe page (very, very useful information--thank you) and I have a question about the auto transmissions. In your TradeMe page on your 1UZ/H100 Hiace engine mounts you mention that "you can use the stock hiace gearbox". Is that also true for the 3UZ/H200 Hiace? I'd certainly like to run a 6-speed transmission, but if the stock 4-speed auto box will still work, I wouldn't have to deal with the drive shaft joint, new trans mounts or fitting a new shifter. On the other hand, they practically give the transmissions away with the engines--buying them together doesn't seem to be any more expensive than just the engine, over here in the UK.

Cheers,

JZH

For the Hiace I have done plenty with the stock gearbox (Manual) however when doing an auto one I always prefer to use the transmission from behind the UZ to keep management easier. Sorting the driveshaft isn't difficult. Cheers

For the Hiace I have done plenty with the stock gearbox (Manual) however when doing an auto one I always prefer to use the transmission from behind the UZ to keep management easier. Sorting the driveshaft isn't difficult. Cheers
Fair enough! Yes, I'd forgotten about that. Okay, 6-speed it is. I think you said your headers would probably fit, and your drive shaft adapter seem like the way to go. Is there anything else I might need from New Zealand? Will I need an idler assembly if I get a 6-speed 3UZ? The Hiace OE radiator uses dual electric fans, so if the 3UZ engine I get (probably from an '04-'06 LS430) has the hydraulic pump I understand it will need to be removed.

(Btw, I only have a dodgy Hiace repair CD-ROM I got from someone in Oz a few years ago--is there anything else available?)

Cheers,

JZH

Hi Kelvin, I'd definitely like to see that, but the link doesn't work.

Also, I could get an LS430 instrument panel to go with the LS430 engine and 6-speed transmission. I wonder if it would be easier to use that and adapt it to the Hiace chassis, rather than adapt the Hiace instrument panel to the 3UZ engine and transmission?

Cheers,

JZH

Okay, my current plan is to find a decent 2004-06 LS430 (or 2006-07 GS430) engine and 6-speed transmission, complete with ECU, harness, alternator, power steering pump and a/c compressor. I've seen them for less than a grand, but low-mile JDM versions seem to get almost double that. Is it worth the extra money for a low-mile JDM?

I would like to use a 2004-06 LS430 instrument panel (if it fits/can be made to fit, otherwise the Hiace panel), a 2004-06 LS430 gear shifter to match the gearbox and a GS430 multifunction steering wheel (the van already has a TNS350 radio/sat nav installed, but no multifunction steering wheel or cruise control). Any problems using these parts? I'm assuming I'd need some ECU re-programming.

Cheers,

JZH

Fuel pump question:

What pressure do I need for a 3UZ? I have learned that the fuel pump used on the 2.7l petrol version of my Hiace is an in-tank unit rated at 281-287 kPa (40.8-41.7 psi), and based on the parts diagrams and, from checking things like the level sender gasket and fuel tank strap part numbers, I think it would fit directly into my diesel fuel tank. That would be an easy solution--if the pressure is sufficient.

Cheers,

JZH

Yep they fit. Been there done that. Ideal pressure for vvti is 4 bar static. I have a dyno sheet of one on dyno using stock hiace pump, aftermarket ecu, pump fell over as engine got around 5k rpm. On a hilux i tried stock pump(brand new) which is similar flow to hiace running at 4 bar(same pressure as vvti) into an ls1 and it also fell over. I now fit up my favorite oem high flow nippon denso pump, problem solved.

Reactions: JZH
Thanks, Kelvin. I wonder if you could put together a package of parts for me to address critical conversion issues like this? I would like to use your short headers and driveshaft adapter, so buying everything I need at once (for export to the UK) would probably make a lot of sense. I can easily source things like the engine, trans and ECU, and consumables like the cambelt and pulleys, but I also have to source the custom or modified parts, which could all come from you. Then I could just do a build thread instead of long, trial and error, noobie question thread!

Cheers,

JZH

Hi boys
I put a 1jzgte vvti in the older hiace 100 series see photo

I am now looking at putting a 3uz-fe in the new shape hiace commuter 200 series as well.

What kits are available: engine mounts, wiring etc.....
As I don’t want to custom build everything like the old one.

I am in Australia

I will be following this post and try to help out with questions as well.

Cheers
Charchi6030BEE4-6D1C-4F54-8A8F-48F30179DE14.jpeg

What kits are available: engine mounts, wiring etc.....
As I don’t want to custom build everything like the old one.

I am in Australia

I will be following this post and try to help out with questions as well.
Welcome to the (small) world of H200 Hiace V8 conversions!

I'm not aware of any "kits", but I'm trying to get Kelvin to put one together! Thanks for mentioning engine mounts--that's another thing I haven't thought much about.

Ciao,

JZH

I still havent sorted all the differences on these later vans. Might be a while as ive presently got 4 conversions booked ahead of me along with wiring jobs. Ive been duscussing more late model hiace jobs with a couple of customers so once one is booked in it will force me to make a kit up. If you watch my YouTube you will see it happen