Newby looking to fit 1UZ in Bundy

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

GT40Surf

Hello :)

My name is Paul and I live in Rockingham, Western Australia. I used to own a Hilux Surf which I converted from the 2L-TE to the 1UZ-FE (hence the user name) back in the late 90s. It was one of the first ones (if not the first? as no one had heard of anyone that had one) in WA to have a manual (R154) box. It was painful as there wasn't a lot of help around. I miss this car but now have the 2UZ 100 Series to get me to my favourite fishing spots.

I joined this site as I have a really good friend who wants to convert his 1987/88 Bundera from the stock 22R/G52 to the 1UZ/A341E. He would like to keep the auto but convert to 4WD. I have been reading a few posts and probably getting more confused (which really isn't that hard for me) than anything else, so I'd like to hear from anyone that has fitted the 1UZ to the Bundys and kept the auto behind this marvellous piece of motoring engineering and/or anyone that can guide me in what they feel would be the best way to make this 1UZ/A431E setup work as a true 4x4.

Thanks for reading my post and hope to hear from you soon :)

Hey got the above txt.

I have a bundy with a 1uz in it.
I kept the stock auto in mine for 3-4 years. I had it adapted to a rover lt230 transfer.

I have to question tho, why do you want to keep the factory auto?

Do you already have an engine etc?

Evan

Hi Evan,

Thanks for replying. The Bundy my friend owns is a 22R with the 5 speed manual (G52) in it, which the box has broken 1st gear. So, he wants to use the auto from the Toyota Soarer UZZ30 that he brought off Gumtree. He brought the complete car which had a really light touchup on the nose cone. Personally I'd fix the Soarer but he wants to fit this engine/box into his Bundy, so this is were we are at the moment.

From memory (and this is going back a long way for me) the auto box was tied in to the engine wiring, so we thought why not use the auto from the UZZ30? and just adapt the 4WD transfer case to the auto box.

To use the words off Mythbusters.. Does this sound plausible?

Cheers,
Paul

Hey Paul.

The biggest problem is actually doing the adapter to the transfer case.
Is his intended use just for road or what?
Like I mentioned I ran the rover lt230 transfer as ther are strong and have a great low range ratio.
They are a constant 4wd transfer tho so it has a center transfer lock to engage 4wd then a hi and low selector.

There are other auto options if he wanted to stray. The commodore t700 can be adapted.
Is he doing this on a tight budget?

Paul you are opening a huge tin of worms and the transfer in the bundy is the problem as it is "Offset offset". A way around this if he wants to run Auto is to search "trademe.co.nz" and find the auto and transfer out of either an LZJ76 or KZJ76 Prado and wear a large cost of freight over which may be cheaper than trying to get it done locally. These wagons are basically a Bundy but were a JDM import into NZ Same body
shape as the current VDJ76 wagon

Hey Paul.

The biggest problem is actually doing the adapter to the transfer case.
Is his intended use just for road or what?
Like I mentioned I ran the rover lt230 transfer as ther are strong and have a great low range ratio.
They are a constant 4wd transfer tho so it has a center transfer lock to engage 4wd then a hi and low selector.

There are other auto options if he wanted to stray. The commodore t700 can be adapted.
Is he doing this on a tight budget?

Hey Evan,

Yeah the transfer case adapter is what I'm after. I was hoping that this part was something I could use from another model Toyota, say like the 60 Series LC??

He intends to use the car as an everyday driver and come out with me when I go off to the beach or fishing trips.

I saw the LT230 transfer setup but this still needs to be "adapted" to the A341E auto box. Same for the Chevy TH700 box. Is there something wrong with the A341E boxes? or am I ready this all wrong?

He isn't on a tight budget but in the same sentence doesn't want to waste money.

Paul you are opening a huge tin of worms and the transfer in the bundy is the problem as it is "Offset offset". A way around this if he wants to run Auto is to search "trademe.co.nz" and find the auto and transfer out of either an LZJ76 or KZJ76 Prado and wear a large cost of freight over which may be cheaper than trying to get it done locally. These wagons are basically a Bundy but were a JDM import into NZ Same body
shape as the current VDJ76 wagon

Hi samsdad,

Definitely don't want to open any of those tins but what do you mean "offset offset" ??

My friend would buy a 4WD auto box that would suit his Bundy if it comes to that, but from what I've seen, is that most Toyota auto boxes are made in very similar casings and wouldn't these 76 Series Prados use similar transfer box as the Bundy?

We can buy a transfer adapter housing from the states but I'm not 100% sure this is correct fitment. I've also had reports that the transfer casing bolt pattern (off the G52 box) looks similar to the 60 Series LC.

Here's some pictures of the G52 transfer box and rear gear box/transfer housing, if anyone can confirm if the 60 Series ones are the same?

4WD transfer box
IMAG0422.jpg

Rear gearbox/transfer housing
IMAG0420.jpg

Sorry for photo quality.. they come off my phone

Last edited:
Ok, some more research in to fitting this transfer box to the auto.

I now understand what samsdad means when he says 'offset offset'. For others reading this later on, it means the drop down outputs for both the front and rear prop shafts are offset to centre. Some Toyota's have the rear prop shaft directly out the back of the gearbox (centre) but the front prop shaft goes off to the side (offset).

I have gone and seen the LC 60 Series auto box which has the double offset outputs but again this box is completely different to the A341E. I think buying an imported box from Japan/NZ will just be out of the ball park, as I can see this being way too expensive.

I have been reading of others that have used the KZN auto transfer and ran the standard offset rear diff, not sure if this is kosher?? I can see both sides of the arguments.

Once we have the A341E box out of the donor car, I'll study this a little further.

Thanks ethann, Evan and samsdad for your help so far :)

You can buy off the shelf adapter kits for the following:

1uzfe TO t700 from castle main rod shop.
T700 TO hilux transfer from locktup4x4, low range offroad.

Or overkill engineering can make an adapter from the factory auto to what ever you like.

The t700 has a good 1st gear ratio and isn't electronic and has the 4 gears.