Newbie questions regarding ECU and other controllers

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

Alouette

I am from South Africa and am planning to build a offroad 4x4 vehicle. I have decided to use a 4 liter lexus v8 which I can get from the local importers.

I need some info to complete my planning -
1. The original toyota/lexus ECU - does it combine the engine control as well as the automatic gearbox control in a single "electric box" or are they seperate?
2. How easily can cruise control be incorporated in the design?
3. Can a tiptronic/paddle shift system be incorporated using the auto gearbox that comes standard on the engine? Would one need a special gearbox controller to do this and if so is it available?
4. I doubt that I will be able to get a working original ECU in SA. Unless I can source one from overseas I will need to get an aftermarket one. This is possible. The transmission controllers in South Africa are however not so good. I assume that someone would be able to ship me one from overseas if need be?

Thanks for you advice!!

hi there !

I am also a "saffer" on here !

off the top of my head - there are two boxes - engine ecu and gearbox controller

get an aftermarket cruise control system from vdo - easy enough to fit

there is a new bunch in Cape Town (capricorn or something like that) claiming to have the answer for the lexus in both ecu and gearbox control incorporating paddleshift - I have only heard of one gotech gearbox controller working well myself but I think it all goes down to install and expectations - it aint a lambo e gear !

Attachments

• Dublv (Large).jpg
    Dublv (Large).jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 4
Glad to hear that there is someone else who understands...

Paddleshift is just an idea at this stage - have spoken to other 4x4 owners who have used is in sand - might help with the 4x4 work but depends on cost!

What vehicle do you have the lexus in? If 4x4 what final drive ratio?

In terms of the ECU - which system do you use?

Thanks for the info - helps if you have an idea of what is available here!

we wish we got the complete package here !

we get the engine - covered in salt water residue / corrosion
the harness is sliced off with an angle grinder and I also think we get the"bad" grade from japland - aus / nz gets the "prime" grades we here in South Africa get a lower grade than you guys !

I was almost tempted to "as it should be" but I'm kinder than that.

If the loom is cut go aftermarket as it will end up cheaper and easier.

If on a budget try MS (if you really enjoy and understand electronics), Adaptronic or Link.

For cruise control go aftermarket as you don't have half the gear you will need.

I have a Lexus in my Range Rover and was running 3.5-6 ratios on 33x12.5x15 but am changing to 4.10 with 35x12.5x15.

Hopefully will be back on the road in 6 months with killer performance.

What 4b are you running.

As 3barboost said - the quality of the stuff we get here is terrible. I have purchases an engine in the past - had to do a complete reconditon immeditely after installing it! Wires and hoses all cut off with angle grinders, parts missing and damaged. I ended up buying 2 machines to get enough spares! Maybee we need to look into getting a group from SA together and import decent engines, gearboxes and ECU's together?

Zuffen - I was at the land rover shop this week-end. Had a look at an old rangie - have thought that it might be the way to go... I assume you are talking about diff ratios and not transfer case ratios - at least the 4.1 with 35" tyres gives me an idea of what I need as I would like to go with the 35" tyres. The tried to convince me that the standard 3.5 ratios will be FINE with 35"....

Do you get an aftermarket ratio change or are you going to use one from an old series LR?

The budget is so tight after getting a few quotes for chassis, drivelines and transfer cases...

Alouette,

A Rangie on 35" tyres will break axles regularly. If the 10 spline axles almost daily.

My 4.1 are Nisan Patrol diff ratios as I'm using Patrol axles under it. Cheap way to get good strong axles, LSD rear and wider track and it is almost a straight bolt in.

Personally I would use the part time Patrol trans (as I am) with Patrol axles as they are way stronger than Range Rover gear and interestingly in Australia usually more available and affordable.

It may be worth having a look. By the time you put diff locks in your Rover you will have spent $8,000 on them and they still won't be as strong as the Patrol stuff.

Attachments

• IMG_0840 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_0840 (Medium).JPG
    68.1 KB · Views: 16
My first choice would be to go with the Land Cruiser or Patrol chassis - in SA these vehicles are WAY overpriced, so of course all parts.
Thanks for the info regarding the diffs! I will need to see how available the axles will be. I do think that the higher ratios will be better!