New to the Lexus V8 Scene

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.
Welcome. You will be amazed where that motor will fit and how well it will work. I helped another member put one in a Merkur XR4ti of all things and it fit like it wanted to be there factory. Now its his daily driver. I put one in a 73 Nova SS. Its a better SCCA engine I think then and Chevy engine ever was.

Jake

Opinions will vary on this but from my own experience if that is what you are going to use I would make sure I was using a light vehicle. The torque comes on so fast in the 1U that one of those transmissions would not last long in a heavy vehicle. If you are trying to keep costs down why not just use the automatic?

I was amazed at how well the 1U fit in the Merkur. The owner (who is on here) did not want to modify the frame. So I had to build and oil pan and pickup from just about scratch. Other than that it was fairly easy. He even got it passed here in California by the state smog nazis. Its a legal swap now.

Jake

Glad to hear it. I went with the R154 myself. Although I am kind of kicking myself for not putting a 6spd in it. Maybe next time around. Look forward to seeing what you come up with.

Jake

It's only lack of imagination that stops you. I have one in a 37 Chev sedan. Been in there about 6 years and done about 90,000 miles on a secondhand unknown. I have a 46 Riley that will I plan on cutting the cab moving it back to a 2 seater with a big long bonnet and putting 2 1UZ's up front in line. Everyone laughs when I tell them that. Dunno why:):):)

The popularity of this engine was never that high in the US. Its much higher overseas and that is where the majority of speed parts are produced for them. Everybody wants the newest, latest and greatest in their car. They never consider or have ever heard of the 1U. Which I would put up against almost all the latest offerings from the major car manufacturers here in the states. Once you use one you will fall in love with the engine. Supercharge or turbocharge it and you will be amazed with the way it runs as well as its robustness. Most of the people on this board are not talkers and bullshitters. When they give advice its out of experience. But it also means a much quieter board. Also they owner of the boarder and store has taken a step back for now.

Jake

As with most things, it seems I'm late to the party. This board seems a bit slow moving. Has the popularity of these engines faded away? Are there any busy forums anymore?

It's mid October 2014 and most of the stuff I see on the internet is between 2005-2010 era. So what are the "fast guys" doing then? (I'm still putting my 1UZFE into something for sure)

Still helping my mate and a number of other people in doing 1uz/3uz conversions. Typically I receive 1-10 ECUs per month.

Regarding the boards being slow to update. Many people prefer the JZ which are a tad less complicated (but are a whole lot slower and heavier). Some try non-vvti UZ's "as is" and become disappointed with the performance (no upgrades, no revision, unknown second hand engine with high mileage). Maybe local regulations and fuel prices make engine conversions less attractive in general.

Welcome. The 1uz is not nearly as popular but it's very fun and fast in the right chassis. I completed my first swap in a 1990 cressida with the auto trans. I was very happy with the performance until I swap a 1uz/ w58 into a friends 1987 supra. Power to the wheels was much improved. There is no comparison. I then swapped my 87 toyota pickup with a 1uz/w58. Very nice sleeper. I'm in the middle on a 1uz/w58 in my other 92 cressida. I also have a 1998 1uz vvti / r154 that will replace the 1uz auto in my 90 cress.
This past weekend I test fit a 1uz in my 81 starlet and it fits. That will be a spring project. I swear by this engine. Great power for light street cars and dead reliable.

I'm just finishing a 1UZ to 1UZ swap ;) - its a 99'GS400 driveline into a 91LS400... it turned out to be about as much work as a real swap!

Welcome. I have nearly completed a 1UZ into TR7, it should be finished around Christmas (the engine/gearbox anyway). You definitely want to try and source a rear sump, it can be done without but it is a LOT more work. Mine came from a Soarer, I bought a complete car, ran it for a week to make sure the motor was good, then scrapped what I didn't need. The rear sump 1UZ fits better than either the 4 or 8 cylinder original motors and looks like it was designed for the car!

DSCF0289_zpsa15e44a3.jpg

11_08_2014006_zps784b1816.jpg

TestFitting007.jpg

Last edited: