New to Lextreme

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

justgobig

Hi new to the site but not yotas, I am from SoCalTundras.com got a 2006 Tundra V8. Approaching 100k not jumping the gun just wanna get my bullets in order. I would like to throw some mild cams and massage the heads in the not to distant future and wondering what and where you get quality aftermarket products for our motors google is frustrating after an hour of research ha.
I am a machinist and mechanic by trade btw so I will be tackling the project myself with a few friends keeping the beer cold hana. My goal is to have a toyota reliable motor but push 325+ hp I am going to get her on a dyno to see where it stands with tb mod and airbox, then put my gibson headers on for an after hp gain then again later on with some cams and head massaging.

There's just not much out there yet from good, reliable vendors for the later motors.

Check with Kevin @ Kelford's in NZ for cams; they may have something available for the VVTi motors.

You already apparently have some headers sorted?

Hmm I use to play around with N/A motors.. I find with modern engines they are well sorted and to change cams etc is VERY expensive..
Have you thought of forced induction ?? BUT keep it moderate safe power level where you have broad power / torque curve..
Seems all engine manufacturer's are heading this way also .. Easier to pass EPA emissions...

Aha another victim.. Welcome to forums...

Well growing up around and having muscle cars I was addicted to purty motors that produce nice hp, I contacted kelford and that's a no go for the cams, makes me envy sb chevys where you can get any and everything motor wise for them. Not looking for anything wild just a mild rv style cam with a nice lope to make her sound good at idle. Lextreme is a member on SCT I sent him an email from site but got no reply reason i joined is to get as much knowledge as i can for these new motors he started a thread about using a 05 block and put 400 heads on it. From what i have heard the 05-06 VVTi blocks have really weak lower ends so i guess I would have to rebuild that in order to put a sc on her I did find a company a year ago that makes a small sc for the 05-06 motors but lost link and name :(

As XR8TT said, really the best & cheapest bet is to go forced induction on these motors, especially the newer VVTi models.

The classic "cams, headers, intake" approach that used to be the norm for domestic motors to make big power just doesn't work with these motors, especially since nearly everything has to be fabricated, and costs 5x what the comparable piece would cost for a SBC.

Definitely change the puny rods in that 2UZ to "at least" the early 1UZ's rods, but shoot, once you're into the short block, a good set of aftermarket forgies isn't really that bad......

Quickest, easiest power is a little bit (4-6psi) of boost from a supercharger, either a centrifugal (which Lextreme sells mounting brackets for), or a PD like an Eaton, which you can buy manifolds for, and/or complete kits from 1-2 vendors.

Or, if you're really handy at welding, you could try turboing it......

Ouch I was hoping to get an easy hp boost for an inexpensive amount of $$$ but doesn't look like im gonna be able to do it that way :( I guess my only options are a small boost fi rebuild lower end with rods and crank then?

The crank will handle stupid power. Well over 1,000hp, so it doesn't need replacing.

The rods in your engine are the weak link.

A set of rods isn't that expensive and once done you can boost to well over 20psi and see some big numbers.

The VVTi engines breath well enough you should be able to get big power out of it.

If you're going to leave the ECU stock 6-9psi, via turbo, will give you a nice increase in power.

Ok I will post a lookin for 1UZ rods in wtb section I will try to find some older stock first if not guess end up getting the forged. $650 Lextreme rods. Thanks again afor the insight.