New MKIII swap mount design

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

cjsupra90

Hey guys, for anyone that has followed other threads or knows about and are curious about the new design UZ-MKIII Supra swap mount design, Here are some pics of the upper half of the mount. This section attaches to the block. The round sleeves will have Poly bushings pressed into them. There is a lower section that will staddle the sleeve / bushings with a thru bolt attachment and will bolt to the subframe. I have somehow managed to loose the pieces that make up the lower section so I couldn't weld them up. Im going to try to get new ones cut on the laser at work sometime this week. Feel free to comment or ask any questions if you have any.

Nice work Chris, and good triangulation with the bracing. Is the base 1/4" or is it thicker - can't tell from the photos?

I'm sure the welding has pulled the base plate a bit - will you put it on a mill or grinder to flatten it out again?

hey chris like i offered before if you wanta test fit them on a motor and car i Should be hanging my motor on the hoist over the car next saturday, one week from today. as you know your invited with beer and steaks waiting for you. btw they look groovy.

Nice work Chris, and good triangulation with the bracing. Is the base 1/4" or is it thicker - can't tell from the photos?

I'm sure the welding has pulled the base plate a bit - will you put it on a mill or grinder to flatten it out again?

Yes, they are entirely out of 1/4" material. As for the bases being pulled (warped) nope, no real measurable warp to them. I bolt them to a piece of 2" thick aluminum during welding and then allow them to cool for about 5 minutes or so, then a more rapid cooling with compressed air to room temp prevents them from warping. Between the fairly fast cooling and that they are held flat from start to finish help substantually in preventing warp. I learned this a long time ago from a guy that built custom 1-off headers. This is what he would do with header flanges when welding the primary pipes and with out resurfacing them, never had sealing issues.

hey chris like i offered before if you wanta test fit them on a motor and car i Should be hanging my motor on the hoist over the car next saturday, one week from today. as you know your invited with beer and steaks waiting for you. btw they look groovy.

Jake, that might be a go. I know sunday will deffinitly be out of the question, I have to go to Ft. Myers on sunday, I am sure that I will have to work on Sat., but should be done by noon. I will give you a shout later in the week.

hi

I'm new on here but I've been reading over the forum and getting as much info as I can. I'm going to be doing a 1uz out of a sc400 into an '87 turbo supra. Both are auto cars. I was just wondering if your mounts will work with my app.? If the do are you making multiple sets or just a few for you? I live in South Carolina so I'm not very far from you. thanks

Chris - those look awesome.
What's the likely price on the above?

and will the fit all mkIII models - or just 90 onwards?

At this moment, they are only for the later style (JZA70 style) subframes. I am thinking that I can get away with using the upper parts (photos above) and just a different lower section for the early subframes. Have to get ahold of some stock MA70 early style mount stands and mounts and get a bunch of dimensions and see what I can do to make them fit the early subframes....

As for price, most likely they will be $150 usd. plus shipping.

I'm new on here but I've been reading over the forum and getting as much info as I can. I'm going to be doing a 1uz out of a sc400 into an '87 turbo supra. Both are auto cars. I was just wondering if your mounts will work with my app.? If the do are you making multiple sets or just a few for you? I live in South Carolina so I'm not very far from you. thanks

Unfortunitly at this time, they will not work for you without changing to the later (post 89) subframe. I am trying to work on a way (as stated in my previous post) to make them fit/work with the early subframes. I am hoping to have somtime within the next month or so. I have had enough interest in units for early subframe fitment that I am going to push a little harder at coming up with something for them.

Excellent news.

What do you need from an early supra I'll see if I can source it and send it ;)
(or get all the measurements you need)

(Or I'll just upgrade my MA70 subframe to a JZA70)

Unfortunitly at this time, they will not work for you without changing to the later (post 89) subframe. I am trying to work on a way (as stated in my previous post) to make them fit/work with the early subframes. I am hoping to have somtime within the next month or so. I have had enough interest in units for early subframe fitment that I am going to push a little harder at coming up with something for them.

Chris, great work on the new mounts. I will be first in line if you get a pre-89 set working especially for a manual setup. As soon as I get a 1jz R154 bell housing, I'll be able to supply any of the measurements you need for my particular setup. I have the pre-89 7M-GTE mounts sitting in the garage right now and can ship them to you if it helps any. Let me know what types of measurements you need from the subframe itself.

I dont see why the mounts would be any diffrent for manual or auto? the transmission doent change the placement of the motor.

I dont see why the mounts would be any diffrent for manual or auto? the transmission doent change the placement of the motor.

In this case it may. We have to run adapter plates to get the manuals to mount with the 1UZ. Since I am running the R154 with mine, I have to get the 1JZ bell housing which is 171mm* (190mm* for MkIII bell housing) plus the thickness of the adapter plate I am using which I need to go measure. The transmission will be bolted to its original mounts so shifter position does not change, and the driveshaft will not need to be changed.

*the only measurements I have found on the net so not sure on accuracy

thanks

Hey just wondering about the whole motor mount issure with putting the 1uz into an early mk3 I noticed a website bicperformance.com he has swap mount for a 1jz for earlier mk3's to convert to the early style round mounts could you like frankenstin the lower section to work with the 1uz upper part? Thankx

never mind

Hey just scratch what I said I went back to bic performance looked at the swap mounts and they just adapt to the block of a 1jz and then bolt to the 89 and earlier mounts so that wont work but I would really appreciate any help with my swap thanks again!

Hey just wondering about the whole motor mount issure with putting the 1uz into an early mk3 I noticed a website bicperformance.com he has swap mount for a 1jz for earlier mk3's to convert to the early style round mounts could you like frankenstin the lower section to work with the 1uz upper part? Thankx

Aron's (bicperformance) mounts are for bolting a 1JZ or a 2JZ into the early square mount style subframe (no need for them if you have a late/round style mount subframe, stock JZA70 mountstands allow you to bolt in a JZ engine) . This is so you dont have to swap subframes if you want to put a JZ engine into your early MKIII chassis. Basically what I am doing is essentually the same thing but for the UZ engines. Using the stock UZ upper sections is an option, but not a very practical one. The UZ mounts have quite a bit larger center to center distance then that of the MKIII mounts (both early and late). The other thing is that those mount stands are even bulkier then my first design. The first design that I built that a few people are using work perfectly fine, but there is not very much room on the drivers side for running well designed headers due to thight proximity with the steering shaft. Header fittment is the only reason for me redesigning the mounts. My ultimate goal is to offer both mounts and headers specifically for MKIII / UZ swaps.

Chris,

After talking to some of the very knowledgeable chaps in the MKIII community in Australia it appears the difference is pretty minor for the pre 89 and 89+ subframe.

From what I can understand only the mounts are different (round vs square - and slight angle / height) and the crossmember is slightly different.

For me the easiest option will be to just grab a cross member and mounts from an 89+ supra and grab a set of yours.

Easier than retooling at your end (I think anyway).

Cheers.

Btw: link to the supra forums thread is here:
http://www.supraforums.com.au/forum/showthread.php?p=695878

just want to get 100% on this before I buy something or source i. I can use the upper part of the uz motor mount and the lower part of the 89+ supra's in which I would have to change out my crossmember or modify it to accept the 89+ mounts right? or if you decide to make a adapter for a uz to pre 89 supra's.