New guy looking to put a 1uz in a Baja Bug

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

jon6.0

Looking at doing an engine conversion in my Baja Bug as a summer project in Phoenix when it gets to hot to drive it. Found out that it's actually a pretty light motor for what it is and can make killer power. Everybody and their brother has an LS engine. Heck I have one in my Gto, lol. I can imagine the 1uz sounds sweet up around 8k rpm with some headers to bullet mufflers. So I will be using the search function to see what this is going to cost me. I already checked and Kennedy makes an adapter plate. So I just have to figure out an ecu. I don't know if I can just get one out of a wrecked car or if I have to go standalone for a JDM engine. The bug is undergoing an overhaul at a shop right not. Adding to the cage and putting a carbon fiber front end and rear fenders on it.

IMG_1227.jpg

Welcome to Lextreme - looks like a fun project! Didn't know that Kennedy made an adapter for it - that's very good to know.

The UZ is very light with its ally block, but is a bit wide, being a DOHC design. Not nearly as wide as a Ford MOD motor, however ;-). It's been said before that it will fit in a 700mm cube.

Where are you going to put the radiator?

Soundwise, since it has the same firing order as the SBC, it sounds, well like a SBC up to around 4000-4500, but after that, it produces its own sweet sounds.

Attachments

• Intercooler1.jpg
    Intercooler1.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 393
Welcome to Lextreme - looks like a fun project! Didn't know that Kennedy made an adapter for it - that's very good to know.

The UZ is very light with its ally block, but is a bit wide, being a DOHC design. Not nearly as wide as a Ford MOD motor, however ;-). It's been said before that it will fit in a 700mm cube.

Where are you going to put the radiator?

Soundwise, since it has the same firing order as the SBC, it sounds, well like a SBC up to around 4000-4500, but after that, it produces its own sweet sounds.

I found an Australian site that had race engines with ITB's and they listed the weight at 330lbs. Kennedy just says "Lexus V8", I still have to call and confirm, but I think it will work. Fitting it won't be an issue as it will be hanging off the rear. I will just have to do a different engine cage. I was thinking of running the radiator at the rear at a slight tilted back angle and running a scoop to direct air to it along with a couple of high cfm electric fans.

You will need to be aware the VW transaxle won't take too much abuse with the V8's torque.

I would slope the top of the radiator forward as the airflow should follow the roof line.

This way if you roll it there's more chance the radiatior will survive and you may be able to right it and drive home.

How long a wheelstand do you think it could do?

There was a 1UZ powered Kombi van for sale here on Lextreme only a month or so ago.

He may be able to assist with information as well.

I found an Australian site that had race engines with ITB's and they listed the weight at 330lbs. Kennedy just says "Lexus V8", I still have to call and confirm, but I think it will work. Fitting it won't be an issue as it will be hanging off the rear. I will just have to do a different engine cage. I was thinking of running the radiator at the rear at a slight tilted back angle and running a scoop to direct air to it along with a couple of high cfm electric fans.

330 is a little too light, I think. Here's a couple pics of my 1st 1UZ hanging from a precision weight indicator. Note it has no front accessories at all in this pic, and the intake is an aluminum SC manifold + a Holley carb, which together probably weighed 20-25lbs total? In this configuration, the complete engine weighed 398.5lbs (dry - no oil).

Attachments

• IMG_0938 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_0938 (Medium).JPG
    97.7 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_0940 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_0940 (Medium).JPG
    59.7 KB · Views: 16
330 is a little too light, I think. Here's a couple pics of my 1st 1UZ hanging from a precision weight indicator. Note it has no front accessories at all in this pic, and the intake is an aluminum SC manifold + a Holley carb, which together probably weighed 20-25lbs total? In this configuration, the complete engine weighed 398.5lbs (dry - no oil).

Hmm. That is heavy then. An Ecotec is around 300lbs, so I don't know if I want something 100lbs heavier. Would be cool though. Do those carb manifolds work for naturally aspirated applications? Who makes it?

How about the 2RZFE from Tacoma (upright version) or the 2TZFE from Preiva (side version) That is a 4 banger but add a turbo u will be flying.

Hmm. That is heavy then. An Ecotec is around 300lbs, so I don't know if I want something 100lbs heavier. Would be cool though. Do those carb manifolds work for naturally aspirated applications? Who makes it?

Hardly heavy for a V8?

You could pull another few pounds out of it with a lighter intake setup (Richwood is more than twice as heavy as the Bullet setup) but at the end of the day you'll always be looking at around 440lbs as a running unit.

The smart engine for a Baja is the 2.5lt WRX engine i reckon?

I was lurking on ebay. STi runs engine runs about $5,000. I would think the 2TZFE engine is about $500 bucks and $200 for BHG. Perhaps that would be a good route to go with. Rebuild with forgies and a turbo would be very interesting.

Just found out the Honda S2000 engine rotates the correct direction for a swap. There is a semi local guy with a wrecked 05 looking to part the car out. Gonna call him tomorrow and see how much he wants for the engine, wire harness, ecu, radiator, and fans. I will also look into the 2TZ/RZ engines. Thanks.

Do those carb manifolds work for naturally aspirated applications? Who makes it?

It's not actually a carb manifold; it's designed to have a supercharger mounted up there, but I broke the engine in on a carburetor first. That manifold was made by Richwood Technologies in Australia.

HAH an S2000 engine in a bug would be SICK! I love those engines. They are built tight and they rev all day long like a streetbike engine. I've worked on those engines in the past. Love'em. The 1UZ would be super unique and fun... and cheaper compared to the S2000. I was shocked how light the 1UZ was when I started moving it around my garage and in and out of my truck. They make tons of VW drivetrain parts that will stand up to the abuse. The 1UZ is the best V8 for a bug as the power delivery is super smooth which would definitely help the components last longer. Well keep us updated in your decision. I like Baja Bugs... a couple of my friends have them with built VW engines and they are scared to go any faster. :D

HAH an S2000 engine in a bug would be SICK! I love those engines. They are built tight and they rev all day long like a streetbike engine. I've worked on those engines in the past. Love'em. The 1UZ would be super unique and fun... and cheaper compared to the S2000. I was shocked how light the 1UZ was when I started moving it around my garage and in and out of my truck. They make tons of VW drivetrain parts that will stand up to the abuse. The 1UZ is the best V8 for a bug as the power delivery is super smooth which would definitely help the components last longer. Well keep us updated in your decision. I like Baja Bugs... a couple of my friends have them with built VW engines and they are scared to go any faster. :D

The guy with the S2000 wanted $4k for the engine and ecu. The Honda J30A1(200hp/195tq), J30A4(240hp/212tq), J32A1(225hp), J32A2(260hp/232tq) engines show promise. It's still not a V8 though. I'm getting the suspension sorted on the car right now. Then after some shakedown trips and getting the suspension dialed in I will start on the swap. Until I actually buy a motor I won't know what direction I'm going to go. I'm leaning toward the 1UZ for cost reasons and for being unique.

Here is the baja yesterday:

jonb.jpg

Last edited:
Yeah go with 1UZ. I'm doing it for another reason... you will never break the engine. They are super strong and Ivan Stewerts factory Toyota Baja used them for the last couple years. For a long time his baja race truck was V6. They could run the 1UZ up to 650HP all day long - well all race long at least without any problems. But that was the ceiling and above that they couldn't keep the bottom end together for as long as they wanted. Everyone reading this: Guys don't ask me how I know this but it's from a reliable source.

A simple 1UZ will last forever whereas a high RPM Ecotech or forced induction won't even come close IMO. I'm about to start my engine that was aggressively ported and polished / port mached and such. My goal was to have a free flowing super dependable V8 that won't ever leave me stranded out in the desert. All of this while being fuel efficient and relatively cheap to build. If everything works great with my porting your welcome to contact the guy (pro race engine builder) that did my heads and intake is willing to do the same for other 1UZ guys. Depending on the level of porting he'll be between $1,000 and $1,500. You could get a super cheap 1UZ and do this to get a killer engine. At least that's what I'm hoping in my case! :D

If everything works great with my porting your welcome to contact the guy (pro race engine builder) that did my heads and intake is willing to do the same for other 1UZ guys. Depending on the level of porting he'll be between $1,000 and $1,500. You could get a super cheap 1UZ and do this to get a killer engine. At least that's what I'm hoping in my case! :D

Definitely let everybody know how that turns out for you. I really like the nice flat torque curve the 1UZ has. The one thing that scares me is I'm computer stupid and making the ecu work scares me. Standalones scare me more. My other consideration is how much power my 3-rib bus box can take. I will give Don's Bus Box a call and see how much a 091 six rib with Weddle race gears can take. Those are $3500. Mendeola's are $5k-$8k, and I'm not paying for one of those.

I would love to see that project. Bug with 1uzfe. WOW.... Make me one... I will send the shell and engine.

I hope to have it done by the end of this coming summer at the latest.

Last edited by a moderator:
What tranny adaptor available for the 1uzfe with VW or porsche transmission? What about the VVTi version? Cost little more but similar weight and 290 bhp.