My V8 90 model duelcab hilux 4x4

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

V8 Hilux

Hi all

Just thought since i just noticed this new section i might put in some info about my lux.

i have had it running with the v8 for about 3 years now and have had a few hickup along the way. some expected and others not so expected.

i guess ill start with the basics. my hilux is a live axle not independant front end. when i did the conversion i mover the rear (gearbox) crosmember forward 45mm. this gave me clearance between the fire wall and the engine. also ment the shafts had to be altered. at the time i didn,t really want to do a body lift so when i fabricated engine mounts they were mad to sit the engine as high as possable and still be able to close the bonet without any rubbing. problem is that it didnt leave enough room for the sump to clear the diff. so i modified the steel part of the sump but just removing the corner that was near the diff centre. i mesured everything up and all seemed good with a few mm to spare. next thing to do was add some suspention lift. i was working for ARB at the time so old man emu's were the go. went for drive to do a brake test and found out just how much bumpstops compress. i cracked the alloy section of the sump with the diff. not a huge problem i just welded some 10mm spacer plates to the chasie where the bumpstop hits and so far so good.

its easy to get lost when you start telling a 3 year long story. but anyway i forgot to mention a few other things like the the gearbox im using is from a 3l td hilux surf. the bellhousing is a dellow and the flywheel was made by malwood auto in qld. he also suplied the clutch & persure plate. as for the slave cylinder i was told mine would fit which was wrong. anyway we boged up the mount for the slave and everything seemed to be working of for about a month or so when the clutch started to slip. most of the problem seemed to be adjustment but for some reason i couldnt get it to work right. worked out then where was just enough through when the clutch was new but once it wore a little was no good. ended up geting the slave sleeved down which seemed to fix the problem. a few more months went by and the clutch started to slip again but no matter how it was adjusted it just wouldnt stop sliping. pulled the box out and started looking for other problems which very quickly became evident. the bolts holding the presure plate had come loose and some had come out. this was strange because they had been locktighted in so did some more investigating. found that the holes in the flywheel had not been taped all the way to the bottom. i had checked the depth of the holes before installing the clutch but i hadden't checked the threads. it was only the smallest amount that caused the problem because the presure plate had been pulled up tight.

with all that fixed and box back in it was smooth sailing for quite some time untill coasting into a roundabout and the box started making horable noises. the day before i had a trafic light drag against a vx ss commodore ute (i wouldnt say i won or lost). i had striped 5 teeth of 2nd gear.

fixed the box up and its a while before i had the next problem again with the clutch. the clutch pedal feels really hard or should i say solid. i drove home whitout using the clutch started looking for the problem. found the push rod from the pedal to the master had made a bit of a mess of the washer that is suposed to stop the rod coming out. as a temporary fix i found a washer that would fit over the rod which was also to big to come out the enlarged hole problem solver temporarly. the next day i got a new clutch master and was planing on fixing over the weekend. friday afternoon and problems struck again. this time something went bang needing a few more tools to replace the slave then i had at my place i was headed for dads place again driving with out using the clutch. i had picked a rout that didn't have to many sets of lights and off i went. the misses realises that were not far from her favrite icecream shop and wants me to do a quick detore. got there and found a park right out front nothing in the way even a downhill slope (makes starting in gear easier) jump back in to go and hit the3 starter and just get a clicking sound. its was 40deg day and the icecream is melting quicker the you can eat it. bit of a problem cause i cant roll start because i have no clutch. dad came out and towed back to his place. replaced the master cylinder and bleed the clutch all seems well except still can't seem to get a gear. after some severe head scratching ended up pulling the box to fine the spring in the centre of the clutch plate had broken out and the lose spring was jambing everything up. the next fun bit was trying to find out what clutch i had so i could replace it. put in a call to mal wood to find out as he was the one who suplied it to begin with (also wasn't listed with part no. on invoice) and he couldn't help. ended up being a ford presure plate with 3 extra holes for mounting. and now had a disel hilux clutch plate which was the same dimentions as what it had but heavier springs and cousions in the centre.

thats about all the drive train problems i have had so far but there have been a few others like the alternator. i had it blow up a number of times first time was a problem in the stator winding then the contact rings wore out (i had them replaced before installing the engine) and then the wires from the contact rings broke causing lots of sparking which blew the reg. i found out the reason the contact rings wore so quickly was because they were geting powere steering fluid on them. so for the sake of a $30 pump seal kit i could have saved heapes. just wish i didnt have to learn all this the hard way.

even with all these dramas its heaps of fun to drive and the engine is just the sweetest sounding thing at redline.

i think i have forgoten lots of detail but i guess ill post it another time.

V8hilux

V8Hilux,

Your story sounds like my Range Rover, except I have not covered more than a few K's in it since the motor went in the first time. The motor has been out 3 times in as many K's.

I have the same problem with diff clearance.

Currently the motor is on the floor and I hope to get it back in the car this weekend. Problem is my 79 year old mum is staying with us and she probably thinks I should spend some time with her rather than my old car!

Hopefully it will all be back together in a few weeks and I will post some info and photos on the car.

At one stage my wife and I owned 3 911 Porsches because she kept saying buy another.

She specified the current Range Rover when we had it built in 1994 for the Australian Safari and I have seen her up to her elbows in dirt and grease on the side of a desert track helping to fix whichever rally car we were driving at the time.

She loves cars but I think our children are getting her attention now.

Those kids I could trade in. Or maybe pay someone to take them!

Grannys fine she will go home in aweek or so.

well so far i dont have kids but hopefully it wont be to long. getting married febuary next year. hopefully build a house (and a big shed) then start on the football team. probably never have any money to spend on a project ever again even though ill have a shed big enough. always the way can never have everything you want all at the same time.

im hopeing that once a have a my shed ill have the space and maybe some time to build some extractors. then ill have to get the motec tuned again to see how much differance it makes. i already have twin 3" high flow cats but then into a 2.5" single system with a dog leg mufler and straight through resinator up the back. if the extractors arn't to hard i might even consider making a full twin system.

V8 hilux

You are right.

You can't have everything you want.

No doubt we will see you on 6/12 at the Sydney meet?

We can have a 4x4 section.

See you there.

im just a little confused. is the meeting on sunday the 5th of december or monday the 6th of december

either way im not working those day so hopefully i should be able to make it. all depends on money and the soon to be misses.

V8 Hilux

Got me.

The Monday wouldn't be much good would it.

Sunday the 5th of December. We will be announcing where in the next few days.

We are trying too make it as convenient as possible for the ACT brigade as us guys from Sydney won't need to drive for more than an hour from anywhere to anywhere in Sydney.

V8 Hilux,

What was your vehicle originally? Engine/gearbox? Petrol/diesel? I've given some considered to putting a 1UZFE engine into my Hilux, and plan another project involving the same engine (small sedan, don't ask - you'll think it's deranged).

I have just finished building a hybrid vehicle, 1990 4Runner chassis with a 1997 dual cab body, custom a-frame rear end, IFS to live axle conversion, blaa blaa, lift, blaa, blaa, 35's, etc, using the 4Runner 5 speed gear box (with chain driven transfer case)

What were the biggest problems with fitting the 1UZFE? How'd you go with engineering? Did you start with a front cut, or just an engine? How'd you get your engine management to work? How about getting things to work with the Tojo instrumentation?

Have you modified your engine? Aiming for torque or revs?

bjw

oridionaly my hilux was a 2.8 disel 5 speed manual. i think the biggest problem i have had was sum clearance and clutch. the engineering wasn't a problem in the ACT. only minor things the engineer wanted fixed some which i didnt really think needed doing like the extended brake lines( only have off the shelf old man emu springs) & reflectors on the tow bar( which i was told by the rta waere not necessary. obviousl there were other things like speedo calibration and emision gear that i had already fitted.

the dash is pretty basic to get working. the tac is dead because im using an after market one the standard one was no good because ot only goes to 6000rpm. i used the disel oil pressure switch and temp sensor so they still work with the standard dash.

i started with just an engine. no outo or ecu. i fitted an m48 motec ecu.

sofar i haven't modified the engine at all. its good in the bush as it is due to the very linier torque curve. it doesent have huge torque down low so doesnt burst into wheel spin at the drop of a hat but has plenty when you give it a good rev.

i think if anything ill probably fit a turbo at a later date because it will provide the best power curve for off road use. rater than bigger cams and more revs and an even greater lack of torque down low in the rev range.

i haven't yet taken it to the drag strip but going on other vehicles i have driven i think it will do mid to high 14's on the quarter mile. which is not bad considering it weighs 1720 kg. i did g'tec it a while back but was have problem with the alternator over charging if reved over 4000rpm still managed a 16.7 1/4 mile. again not bad when considering it really doesnt start to get going untill about 3000rpm and rev limit is set around 6700rpm.

V8 Hilux

bjw

How far are you with your transplant? I am about to put this engine into a live axle dual cab. What did you do about the radiator and fan? I am doing the Australian Outback Challenge next year and am very nervous about running electric fans.

I am planning a 3 inch body lift to allow for the motor and auto box, hope this helps with routing the exhaust. Do you know where I may get a aircon pump for the UZ? I bought a *** import and it did not come with the pump.

Thanks a million
R and D

I wouldn't worry about the electric fans. Use an AU falcon setup. Cost around $300.00 from a Ford dealer and they are pretty tough. One advantage of the electric fans is you won't stuff it through your radiator if you hit something.

For an aircon pump post a WTB in the appropraite section. There must be dozens of these laying around as a lot of swaps don't use them.

Cris,

If you think about it FORD had to build a fan arangement that could take our dust, mud & water and operate reliably. The wouldn't risk heaps of warranty claims from our farmers when they cooked engine due to a simple fan failure.

I'm running EL fans and have absolute faith in them. They are about the only FORD part I would trust, of course FORD didn't make them. I believe Davis Craig make them and they have decades of electric fan experience.

We are looking into some trick thermo switches that will be very cost effective (less than 1/10th the cost of a Davis Craig mechanical unit) no moving parts and readilly available.

We will keep you posted.

Zuffen said:
We are looking into some trick thermo switches that will be very cost effective (less than 1/10th the cost of a Davis Craig mechanical unit) no moving parts and readilly available.

We will keep you posted.
Please do as I have this setup on a different car.

Hi Rod

Thanks mate, what does the EL stand for - or am I being a bit slow??? We are not big believers in Ford either, but at this stage any fan option that will work will be great. What radiator would you suggest for the Hi-Lux? I have heard BMW might be an option? Just worried aabout the price. Do you know where I might find two air con pumps for our motors?

Thanks again for the support.

Cheers
Cris

All FORD Falcons in Australia go by a model code EL is a 1996 model. I didn't care if the fans fitted a 1996 or 2004 model. This setup is what the dealer had.

I would try for an Australian fan setup as ones built in other countries may not be as rugged.

I had my engine at 100 degrees C on Saturday (warm day around 24 degrees) and my fans dropped the temp to 80 degrees in around 2 minutes. I have them manually switched whilst I sort solid state temp switches.

I would check with your local FORD dealer to see if they carry the electric cooling fans for any post '95 Australian Falcon.

With the airco pumps All I can suggest is a WTB listing here, as there must be quite a few around. If you can get the two of them to a central address and have them posted over it would be cheaper.

I can't help with possible radiators but you would be safe in working on enough cooling for your Summer to cover the Outback Challenge. Tough event!

Hi Rod

Thanks for all your help and compliments of the season to you. I am struggling away with my conversion which is taking a bit more time than expected. I am off to search for a radiator this week. Do I need to cut much of the front end to fit the Ford rad and which side are the fans on?

Thanks mate
Cheers
Cris

Cris,

I can't tell you how much you would need to cut but fans should always suck not blow.

They are way more efficient if mounted behind the radiator not in front of it.