MY 1uz into my 93 dualcab hilux

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.
anyway sorted the running drama it now runs really smooth albeit a bit rich (as u can see from the vid) still next is dyno after 2 or 3 small items and a caster setup and wheel alignment

as of june 2011

lux has had a full wheel alignment, it had 4 degree wedges put under the leaf packs to correct the caster and it had 1 degree shim in the passenger king pin to correct the camber of that wheel, plus the toe in/out and spoke position since the new steering arms have been fitted.
i had a fella machine me some shock bushes for it and then fitted up all the shocks, also made a cardboard airbox and templates up and most probally if not tomorrow or sometime next week will cut/fold and weld that up
the airfilter its a unifilter and has a outerwear cover for it
100_0994.jpg

sitting in the box itll obviously sit off the bottom and closer to the top incase i fill it with water and mud and also has room for a drain valve in the bottom
100_0993.jpg

with the outerwear which will only be used for offroadin so it will prob be in there 99% of the time 8O
100_0996.jpg

and in the car in the ome battery spot
100_0997.jpg

so then i just took it for a run down the bottle shop to ummmm test the new shocks and they work a treat on both full soft and full hard settings
got a fair few looks not sure if it was cause of its shear awesomeness or the lack of no. plates lol

took it out for its maiden offroad voyage on sunday
i had it tiltrayed there and back because of no rego and is cheap really.
i had my mate in his duallocked and front and rear winched 75 series as my helper/recovery vehicle.it normally runs a set of 34" simex's with staun internal beadlocks but took the rd tyres for the day haha
i had no front tailshaft so today was more of give the engine a good run and try tune it a fair bit more and also just a general test to make sure most things were working before it does go for rego.
also had no snorkel so deep water crossings were a no no
all in all i am 100% happy with the lux and the only troules i had was the crappy ac delco igniter/coil pack failing and arcing on its bracket a quick adjustment away from the bracket and its was running smooth again.knew i shoulda kept the ***** gm crap of it.
and the crappy exhaust system i had someone make up originally failed on the bracket side as they only used crappy rubber for the hangers and it melted of.
and a small power steering leak that developed during the day
oh and a staked front tyre
as for the engine man i think its fast i would put it up to being not the same but close to the power of my v6 aurion it would pull second gear power skids,
me and d1 also had it running really smooth the engine wasnt moving at all at idle if it wasnt for the exhaust note u wouldnt know it was running
took it down the long sand straight acouple of times for power runs and to load her up and my mate can vouch for this its friggin fast i had it 4th gear flatout across the sand and the suspension took it sweet
we went to get a video of this but had quite a recovery emergency to deal with and ran outa time before the tilttray rolled up.
just acouple of pics
100_0999.jpg

100_1000.jpg

100_1003.jpg

mate dan settin up for a pose
100_1005.jpg

100_1007.jpg

dan gettin ready to snatch the transit van lol
100_1008.jpg

and these fellas we recovered were the same young dudes from a mareeba 4wd fun run day that were stuck down the back of the property, again no recovery gear and no idea if i new it was them straight away we wouldve kept goin
100_1009.jpg

100_1011.jpg

so the things that need attention are the igniter pack, a bit more adjustment for the gearbox x-member, reroute the extended brake lines so they dont rub on tyres at full lock, power steering leak, and another small sump leak which i allready knew about, and try figure out something with the stupid exhaust dont know wether to build my own stainless one now or after rego.
all small things which dont stop me wheeling it
also shut down a fella in a 75 ute tryin a hill climb i did it in 2wd lol

i got my front tailshaft back lastnight and bolted her in also fixed the powersteering leak with a nice new return hose.
so couldnt resist i wanted to see it flex in 4by, i ran outa aurion wheels to drive up :unsure: :unsure: but its got miles left in the front and not much in the back going to leave it for a few runs and see how its goes if not might do some work to the leaf packs.
100_1043.jpg

100_1042.jpg

its got crap loads of rear shock left and the springs are quite tight still should be able to get at least anotehr 150-200mm of downtravel yet
100_1041.jpg

if only i had another set of genuine sportive aurion wheels :p it could of gone way more
100_1040.jpg

i have been building a new zorst system for it and sometimes i hate myself for being so perdantic with things but it will be a really nice zorst once done only in mild steel tho.
i got airbox pretty much set i just need to get motivated and tig it up and ive got some 88mm stainless pipe and ally tube lined up for the snorkel and intake do these items then its out for another play :spiteful:
tax will also pay for my rego and engineers crap so ill say it again fingers crossed itll be drivin soon
i also swapped my aftermarket mags of my aurion for a 9500lb warn winch for the front its a good deal as one mag is smashed from a big ***** far north qld pothole and a new winch is 2g hehe
i also was navi for a local 4by comp last month so that took a lot of time getting our comp rig ready for action
comp pics
our truck just a 2.8D powered 85 lux runnin front and rear lockers winch and about 5-6 inch lift and 35's
100_0756.jpg

rollover no.1 we had 2 for the weekend
100_0762-1.jpg

100_0761.jpg

100_0810.jpg

and a vid
http://vimeo.com/25742909
cheers
stewy

this was our damage list
bent doors
bent roof
broken mirrors
bent pillars
bent and cracked exo(tree on stage 10)
cracked chassis
cracked bullbar
snaped superior toque rod
striped some bolts off the steering box
burnt out winch
and when i un loaded it and put it out the back it poped a CV we took 4 spare set with us and didnt bust one during the weekend hehe

AS OF SUNDAY 7TH AUGUST

been rebuildin the winch since sunday
stripped it down and the grease was pretty shagged probally never had a freshin up ever, cleaned all that up in the parts washer then got onto the motor side and it was lookin worse wear but believe it or not still worked fine
so on order is acouple new gaskets, some new mounting bolts (these are a special square style nut to stop them spinning while doin them up), and a new 500amp new warn style solenoid and a new hand controller.
the motors at the lecky fella and he's freshining that up and put some sort of marine lecky coating on it so im told.
the housings are also been bead blasted tomorrow and once back i will give them a lick of paint
other than that its in good order ive also got some new winch switches coming they look exact same as arb airlocker ones but are for winch in and out and winch power this will allow me to operate the winch from the cab if my winch bitch is to far from the hand controller
it gonna cost far less than a new one at around the $300 mark rather than $2000 for a newby
new old winch
IMG_0483.jpg

the old grease and gearbox
IMG_0485.jpg

the armature believe me it still spooled in and out
IMG_0487.jpg

and most of it in bits
IMG_0488.jpg

hopefully more updates on that this week
also gettin myself a new tig this month told its a 3-4 week wait for it.
its a unitig 200A ac/dc machine been told they arent to bad for a home w/shop fella so we will give that

getting there now

so exhaust is all fabricated just needs welding up
winch is all done just needs fitting and some wiring
and i recieved my new toy today to complete the rest of the lux, its allready had a workout and its worth every cent of the sub 2g there going for.
so airbox is all welded up now, finish fabbing lid soon and fab some mounting tabs and its good to move onto the rest of the intake.
new toy
IMG_0587.jpg

its a 200 amp AC/DC TIG with all the bells and whistles, ive been waiting 4 weeks for it and apparntly so im told its the first to be sold/used in qld of the new facelift models.
its a sweet machine and exedes my expectations of a so called cheaper machine.
about the 4th run
IMG_0588.jpg

TIG all dialed in and performing well
IMG_0589.jpg

so with a house move coming up in about 4 weeks i do HAVE to have the lux in a driveable/moveable state buy then
lets see how i go with this deadline
cheers
stewy

Maybe I missed it but what exhaust manifolds are you running? I haven't seen those type before and they look like they may work for my 1UZ MX83 Cressida conversion.

DSCN2027.jpg

there crown log headers

ok so done some more tonight i get these sudden bursts of motivation for a few days then nothing for a bit :roll: :roll:
got the ally pipe ready to machine down either tomorrow or wednesday at work for my intake pipe work
and aquired some 75 series cruiser, rubber airbox mounts to mount up my airbox
sitting in its final spot
DSC00198.jpg

rubber seal, rivnuts and airfilter
DSC00202.jpg

and the mounting tabs
DSC00203.jpg

DSC00204.jpg

once intake pipe is machined i can start on the snorkel :p :p

winch is fitted up, allbright style solenoid is mounted under the bonnet away from evil fingers, and its wired with a incab winch in/out switch and master switch via ign as well, which is out of the way of childrens fingers and prying eyes.
therefore winch will not work unless ign is turned to on and master switch is on. all the winch needs now is the wire fed on.

nothing to exciting just acouple of switchs the master switch is mounted on the other side of the steering wheel
IMG_0714.jpg

also finally got around to machining the intake pipe up to suit my needs, as the lathe in my w/shop couldnt accomodate the pipe due to machine lacking care and maintenance someone offered to help me out and got it machined up for me.

IMG_0713.jpg

no. plates are getting closer now

so apart from 4 hose clamps and 2 more rivnuts in the body the airbox is 100% finished will be taking it to work tomorrow to make it look pretty
DSC00243.jpg

DSC00242.jpg

the flange setup
DSC00244.jpg

DSC00245.jpg

DSC00246.jpg

got acouple of exhaust hangers to fab up but wont get to work on her till friday got to much kid stuff to do.
other than that i can wind the winch cable on and run a spanner around the whole thing and start fabricating a snorkel

wooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo​oooooohoooooooooooo ooooooooooo​ooooooo woohoo woohoo woohoo the lux is passed

the only issues we have is he'd like to see the clutch line bracket mounted a bit further from the head and exhaust header.

my first bend on the intake is a tad close to the power steering resovoir

put another 2 or 3 cable ties here and there for wiring

route the fuel line away from the handbrake cable a tad further/better

and shorten a heater hose a tad

the only thing he is still unsure on is the extended shackles but advised me to take it as it is and see if not ill put the standards back in
but overall he was mildly impressed with a number of things

all really easy simple 5 min things and had nothing to do with the engineering je just advised me for roadworthy
so monday its get 3rd party insurance to drive it into town.
tuesday drive it into town and weld steering dampner on and take it to mechanic man for roadworthy
then NUMBER PLATES

so at the end of the day it payed of to take my time with it and make sure everything is 100% right, theres nothing wrong with QLD transport if you do the job right the first time

stewy
081.gif

yeah true that lol

its going on a boys only camping trip this weekend so gettin it out there and straight into whats its built for

after that then ill do the snorkel

sooooo the hilux failed roady today for 4 reasons

1. no plate lights didnt work so im sacking my missus (
icon_eek.gif
) as my light checker because that was her duty for me.
2. i forgot to plug the windscreen washer motor plug back in therfore no window washers
icon_redface.gif

3. they wanna see a charcoal canister on it, no biggy
icon_rolleyes.gif

4. and since i changed my extended shackles out to factory length greasable ones olemate didnt like the shackle angle as the leafs are super long in it
icon_lol.gif

fix for that is to rework the springs to acheive a better angle which in turn works for me i get to run a lower ride height with a super soft spring rate with shitloads of downtravel which is ultimate.
im actually diggin the new ride height feels alot more road friendly with really good offroad ability

other than that everything else is cool i take it back once springs are done next week or the week after and ill defo be roadworthy.
olemate also commended me on a really good job overall on the lux which made me feel better about it not passing lol

cheers
stewy