Moving to l.a., need to know some stuff

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

WDoherty

So i figured i'd ask you guys a couple of lexus related questions before i take my car out there. I need to find a good and affordable mechanic shop for my car. I've heard good things about Dynamic auto service in Westminster. Anywhere else, what is there hourly rate? I am going to need my timing belt (plus cam and cranks seals and water pump) changed in an sc400 in the near future and am trying to figure the labor cost. Also i live in rule texas, my car is not tested for emissions. I really don't think it will pass a California test. What are the specs for the Cali test, maybe i can get it checked here in an urban area and see where i stand in comparison? Thanks in advance

I referred my friend to a shop in Rosemead yesterday and when he picked up his car 4 hours later. His car caught fire and his engine and engine bay was toasted. The shop change some ignition parts and tested fuel injectors. I think the shop was careless and got some fuel leak. So I would be afraid to refer you to anywhere. Depending where you will be staying. I met Lexology last weekend and they sound like they are good at what they do.

WDoherty, IIRC, there are some restrictions on bringing a "48" state car into Cali, and you may not be able to get it registered.

Both my Supras were Cali cars and had extra emissions equipment that only Cali required.

It would probably be worth your while to have a quick browse of the Cali DMV site before you make an expensive mistake.

I will take a look at the Cali DMV, i hope you can register an out of state car there, that sounds a little extreme to me if you can't. How wonder how long i can leave it registered in texas, my parent's have a permanent address there, but the title is in my name? My mother's 98 camry is a Cali car, so when her main 02 went, we certaintly paid the difference. It actually had a wideband 02 sensor. Although expensive that car gets great gas mileage for its size (about 33hwy), so i wonder if its more finely tuned than a 48 state version?

Lex, dang if you referred someone and they had a fire, haha. I may look somewhere else to get my timing belt changed.

P.S. I noticed i spelled rural "rule". I really sound rural now, don't I.

WDoherty, IIRC, there are some restrictions on bringing a "48" state car into Cali, and you may not be able to get it registered.

Both my Supras were Cali cars and had extra emissions equipment that only Cali required.

It would probably be worth your while to have a quick browse of the Cali DMV site before you make an expensive mistake.

If you come to Westminster, Ca, I can refer you to a very good mechanic shop in that area. I've known him for awhile and my family and friend have brought the cars to him for a long time. That mechanic charges very reasonable and has saved some money for my relatives comparing to the dealers.

If your SC has the EGR and all 4 02 sensors intact, it should pass the smog test. Before you take your car to the smog station, make a major tune-up on it, run a Split 50 fuel treatment until it's empty and fill the gas. Doing that will help making your car burns more efficiently. On the way to the smog station, keep revving the engine so it'll get hot. Many cars fail smog just because the exhaust temp isn't hot enough.

You're lucky now that you won't have to pay $300 to the DMV when you bring in the car from another state. The CA DMV used to charge $300 just because you bring the out-of-state car in. They then got sued and had to pay back around 20 million $ to the car owners a few years back.

I used to live Westminster and moved to Garden Grove, which is right next by. If you need some info in Westminster or to know how to go to DMV...LOL, I can show you.

That's great to hear it can be imported. I may just keep the texas tags for awhile and get it sorted once i'm there for awhile. I really think i'm going to need cats, but i guess i'll find out (maybe some magnaflow cats welded in in tijijuana, haha?). What is the mechanic shop? If getting a referal from you would help i can wait to i get over there to contact them. Thanks for the help!

If you come to Westminster, Ca, I can refer you to a very good mechanic shop in that area. I've known him for awhile and my family and friend have brought the cars to him for a long time. That mechanic charges very reasonable and has saved some money for my relatives comparing to the dealers.

If your SC has the EGR and all 4 02 sensors intact, it should pass the smog test. Before you take your car to the smog station, make a major tune-up on it, run a Split 50 fuel treatment until it's empty and fill the gas. Doing that will help making your car burns more efficiently. On the way to the smog station, keep revving the engine so it'll get hot. Many cars fail smog just because the exhaust temp isn't hot enough.

You're lucky now that you won't have to pay $300 to the DMV when you bring in the car from another state. The CA DMV used to charge $300 just because you bring the out-of-state car in. They then got sued and had to pay back around 20 million $ to the car owners a few years back.

I used to live Westminster and moved to Garden Grove, which is right next by. If you need some info in Westminster or to know how to go to DMV...LOL, I can show you.

That's great to hear it can be imported. I may just keep the texas tags for awhile and get it sorted once i'm there for awhile. I really think i'm going to need cats, but i guess i'll find out (maybe some magnaflow cats welded in in tijijuana, haha?). What is the mechanic shop? If getting a referal from you would help i can wait to i get over there to contact them. Thanks for the help!
You'll need the cats for sure and they'll need to be CARB approved cats. Magnaflow cats should be ok. The mechanic shop is at the corner of Westminster and Goldenwest. When you're ready to go there, let me know so I can let the mechanic know.