Most-bang-for-the-buck 1UZFE Mods

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

Zukijames

UPDATE: February 4, 2021 A limited supply of original Lextreme parts are back in stock including the EGR Delete Kit, torque converter, 3/8" cat flange and supercharger fish bracket!

My Motor has 0 miles since the rebuild so I don't care to tear into it too deep .

What are some cheap/ easy ways to get more out of it.

Right now I have some 35hp nitrous nozzles I plan to use once in awhile.

Cold air intake, headers?, computer tuning, different computer?

My old motor had 45 hp so getting more right now Is not a big deal but by next year i will be racing against built LS motors.

Last edited by a moderator:
A new intake manifold and headers are the best starting place, then a good cold air intake and a piggy back ecu are about as far as cheap is concerned.
How good are you at fabrication ?
if your decent you can easily do a single turbo conversion for around $500
thats what mine has cost me by looking for stuff on ebays, using the standard manifolds feeding a single hx40 turbo. most of the bits are second hand but even a poorly designed system will still give a decent increase in power as long as whoever maps it knows what they are doing

i saw a twin turbo on here for 3$ lol but thats way more than i need i would blow everything up! an suggestion on headers and intake?

justengt8 did a custom lower half which would net a decent increase.
as for headers it would need to be custom in yours as the ones out their are pretty model specific, but you could mod the tundra headers on ebay to fit yours.
any pics of the engine bay ?

8ebeefe4.jpgfd6347ca.jpg

its tight.

https://quantum-auto.com/ sells some flanges i might just make my own it would help me anyways do these motors need back pressure ?

with the suspension i want i really have no room for mufflers and crap but dont wanta run just open headers because of noise.. but no cat or muffler should pick up a few ponys shouldnt it?

Attachments

• 8ebeefe4.jpg
    8ebeefe4.jpg
    108.3 KB · Views: 21
These motors on stock ECU make between 135-150rwKW with a manual box. This figure is based on the 20-25 1uz powered vehicles that have run on my workshop dyno. (I dont really want to get into the whole dyno rating thing). Pretty much all the vehicles I do are conversions so have different exhaust and free flow intakes. Generally these have stock , log style or stock shortened manifolds.

With aftermarket ECU (Link storm) I expect to get 165-175rwKW. Did a megasquirt and got 160. These vehicles also have my designed performance headers which free flow intake. The one with the best torque ( which would suit your application) had my headers flowing into twin 2 1/4 inch pipes flowing into single 2 1/2 inch with good quality mufflers.

I would recommend keeping it simple with good quality aftermarket ECU, good long headers and conservative exhaust.

After that I would swap to a 1uz VVti motor which produce more power with stock ECU than a early motor with aftermarket ECU.

When chosing the ECU for your present motor I would get one which can easily handle the VVti ( and control it correctly) on the later motor. VVti motors share blocks so will mount in the same place, headers interchange as do oil filters and sumps etc. The VVti is flater across the back of the heads so can be mounted back further is the main difference.

Best bang for buck in my opinion is starting with the VVti motor. Cheers

so your saying its cheaper to buy a vvti then add to my motor? my motor has 0 miles since the rebuild.. i cant imagine i can get a vvti one with 0 miles for very cheap..

and going from a new motor to a used one does not seem like much of an upgrade.

how much more horse power is the VVti over mine mine had 290 hp stock and then it has 4.7 injectors.

thanks for the info you seem like you know alot about these motors.. i will have alot of questions for you

You already have a motor so I think you should get it into your truck and get it running. While doing it "future proof" your vehicle by getting an ECU that will handle VVti.

Donts go too big on your exhaust as it will cost you torque.

And I wouldnt spend too much money trying to extract more power out of the early motor. Do the basics and then save for a motor with more power. Its going to be a big change from what you had before and you will need to allow your driving style to adapt to the new power plant.

By the looks of where you drive torque is going to be far more important than top end power. Cheers

by the looks of your space these would prob fit, or wouldn't take much

is there much gain from those cheap shortys? also will i gain anything removing the a/c and mechanical fan? also i most likely will have no muffler and for sure no cat..

so that might pick up a few horses too!

I really like this forum you guys are helpful and know what your talkin about

watching my old videos maybe i should be seeing what i can do to get less power out of the 1uz

if i floor it like it am used to flooring my 1.3 i will be tipped over all the time or blowing up axle shafts

those headers are much better than stock, by removing the AC, fan and better exhaust will leberate a quite a few horses from the engine.
should push 300 bhp imho

Hellyea, This is Gloverman in the flesh, LOL!!! One of the most knowledgeable, honest, and trustworthy 1UZ guys anywhere.

Any evaluation and/or endorsement of a product by Kelvin is good enough for me....