Project Thread MK3 Supra / 1uzfe / Single Turbo Build Thread

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.
Alright so I test fit the engine with the modified frame rails... besides needing to modify the engine mounts again, it all fits... So I started to do the welding. May not look like a lot... but trust me... it was no such thing.

IMG_7441.jpg

IMG_7470.jpg

IMG_7467.jpg

IMG_7466.jpg

wow, ummm. it's cool but you just disqualified your car from participating in most sanctioned track events. Especially D1 competitions.

its a street car, nothing more... However I dont see how that makes you disqualified?

The only rule I see is... "-Anything designed to enchance the safety of the vehicle in a collision must be retained (the sole exceptions are air bags and/or factory collision reinforcement bars, which may be removed.). " Its retained, more material is added even.

Oh you mean this?

Basic Chassis Design
The vehicle chassis, frame and / or unibody must remain unmodified
between the vertical planes created by the original forward most and
rearward most suspension mounting points unless otherwise specified
in these rules. Uni-body or chassis may be seam welded.

Yup, I guess since its behind the shock towers a bit.... oh well, was not the intention of this car.

Okay, this was a whole lot of WTF... but the front subframe started to seperate? lol no idea, but when you bang the subframe again, the 2 stamped steel pieces move between each other, so I clamped them back together and welded them together... I guess I will do more on the subframe to strengthen it, but for now...

0413111855.jpg

0413111927.jpg

Oh you mean this?

Basic Chassis Design
The vehicle chassis, frame and / or unibody must remain unmodified
between the vertical planes created by the original forward most and
rearward most suspension mounting points unless otherwise specified
in these rules. Uni-body or chassis may be seam welded.

Yup, I guess since its behind the shock towers a bit.... oh well, was not the intention of this car.
bingo, that's the exact rule I was thinking of, but I believe nasa and scca have similar rules also, but don't quote me on it. But if it's just for fun, have at it, the project rocks otherwise.

bingo, that's the exact rule I was thinking of, but I believe nasa and scca have similar rules also, but don't quote me on it. But if it's just for fun, have at it, the project rocks otherwise.

As far as I read SCCA it says some modifications are OK to the frame, but must be approved. I dont see it not passing a "tech" like that... its perfectly safe and just as strong as factory. I know "track days" make sure you have a mounted seat, mounted seat belt, matching wheels / safe tread and no leaks. Its pretty easy to do those with any vehicle.

As long as I can run drag strip, drive the car safely, that does what I want it to do.

Alright, so my buddy sent over a pic of my modified oil filter housing.. basically machined it down to the base and welded 2 -10an fittings to it... First set in my oil system...

P0511111547101.jpg

So I looked at how much room I have..... and I have none! So I had to cut and modify my driver side manifold to clear my alternator which needed to be moved to clear the oil fittings... I got a pulley off my friends 20v MR2 that works great on this alternator.

IMG_7583.jpg

And then to get the ball rolling and moving... I modified my rear sub frame with 3/16" steel and 1.75" DOM tubing.. reinforcing it to prevent ANY cracking. Also Quantum Auto solid billet aluminum sub frame bushings.

IMG_7561.jpg

IMG_7562.jpg

Little dry ice makes everything so much easier...

IMG_7567.jpg

IMG_7569.jpg

And the finished product.

IMG_7578.jpg

Enjoy for now...

Some more pics of some goodies... no progress since last post... waiting on some bolts int he mail for the subframe.

However...

My shaved water bridges... kept the original temp sensor (now wishing I relocated it but whatever) and the rear bridge has the spot for the coolant sensor for the MS3x... other than that its cleaned up... and also turned down the head of the bolt for the bleeder to clear the FFIM better...

IMG_7585.jpg

IMG_7588.jpg

IMG_7590.jpg

Some of my oil goodies... -10an all around... relocation, adapter and cooler...

IMG_7595.jpg

IMG_7597.jpg

And the start of version 3 of my motor mounts.. using poly bushings.

IMG_7599.jpg

IMG_7602.jpg

I did mounts like that one my friends 64 ls1 nova. Works great! You'll be very happy with how well that style of mounts work. I was even considering doing this style on my 89+ mounts that I'm designing as a way to get around the angle issue.

Passnger side... Its a little weird because I had to relocate the mount stand on the subframe... But its strong as hell.
IMG_7631.jpg

Driver Side is complete... No bushings on it and the subframe side is not in the pics.. but this is the part that goes to the engine.
IMG_7660.jpg
IMG_7666.jpg

Adjusted the vband and collector to allow the alternator to fit... Here is it sort of together...
IMG_7654.jpg

Easy way to get some pipe that is just a little smaller then the vband to fit...
IMG_7653.jpg

Oh... And some nice mock up... since the engine bay will be a lot of piping, I need to route everything before I start to weld it up... The turbo sits 10 degree clock wise to allow the cold side to clear the frame rail easily... And I just used a bunch of my 4" bends I have laying around to see what works... looks like it will be fairly easy.
IMG_7646.jpg

:)

Been awhile since I updated... new job = less time to work.. but it is what it is. Anyways, some pics over the last few weeks...

Start of my downpipe and the rest of the stuff......
IMG_7714.jpg

IMG_7735.jpg

More completed. Not sure I how I like the WG location... its the only way I can really get it to fit, but I prefer it a few inches closer... I dont foresee any issues with boost creep though, speak up if you do.
IMG_7783.jpg

IMG_7794.jpg

IMG_7796.jpg

IMG_7798.jpg

IMG_7799.jpg

IMG_7806.jpg

YES I think it would be MUCH easier to run two w/gates of smaller size when you have two entries like that..
One each bank...

No longer much easier, since all it needs is to be welded... already cut and mocked up... lol

Would it be worth it? The time, effort, money spent...?

I cannot tell from pics ??
But is the w/g feed from one bank ??
If it is?? It's VERY hard to control boost ..

Sheesh you've given yourself some welding to do..

Not that I like the idea but some weld an outlet directly off the turbine housing...