Mitsubishi l300 v8

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

Craigbudd

Hi I've just joined as I've just bought myself a Mitsubishi l300 luton which I'm going to strip the back of and make it in to a pick up. I also want to fit the lexus v8 in.
Has anyone on here done that?
Would it be best to use the autobox from the donor car? What back axle would be best?
The Luton is arriving Tuesdays I will post pictures of it's transformation as it goes along.

I did a l300 van years ago, several l200 and i was going through some photos and there were some of a l400 i had forgotten about. 1uz box is easiest. I prefer gen 2 at least or vvti. I wonder what happened to it now? I dont remember much else about it. I think the engine fitted into it quite well.

I did a l300 van years ago, several l200 and i was going through some photos and there were some of a l400 i had forgotten about. 1uz box is easiest. I prefer gen 2 at least or vvti. I wonder what happened to it now? I dont remember much else about it. I think the engine fitted into it quite well.
What's the difference with the gen 2?
Is the 1uz fly by wire?

I made a video on the 1uz differences.

Gen 1 and 2 are normal throttle. VVti are cable but drive by wire. 3uz is dbw with no cable. I also made a video

Mighty impressed with the work you have done I've been watching your videos on YouTube. Can't wait till Tuesday when my project turns up.
I have l300 van which I use as my works van.
IMG_20180621_152102-1040x780.jpg

I have the same series L300 van cut down into a pick-up and fitted with an LS3 and 6speed auto.

It can get the front end off the ground on the street.

Scariest thing I've ever driven, but love it.

The Luton I've bought has a full chassis.
I wonder if I could take the cab of to make the engine swap easier.

I've had the whole body off mine when building it.

The cab has 4 bolts holding it down plus the steering column, brake, clutch, throttle and wiring.

You should be able to get it off with a few hours work.

Here are the modified chassis I used plus a standard chassis and the body all jammed in my 2 car garage.

DSC_0006.jpg
DSC_0006.jpg

This is what it turned into.

DSC_0015.jpg

And the business end.

DSC_0019-1.jpg

The engine probably can fit in the existing engine bay but I just wanted it out the back.

The cab has 4 bolts holding it down plus the steering column, brake, clutch, throttle and wiring.

Here are the modified chassis I used plus a standard chassis and the body all jammed in my 2 car garage.

DSC_0006.jpg
DSC_0006.jpg

DSC_0015.jpg

And the business end.

DSC_0019-1.jpg

The engine probably can fit in the existing engine bay but I just wanted it out the back.
Now that is cool.

Now I know the engine will fit.
I'm going to take the cab off for the install. Now the gearbox I would like to keep the column shifter what gearbox can I use or do I have to stick to the Lexus auto.
?

Is you van a manual or auto?

If auto you may get it to work with the Lexus auto.

If you can retain the Lexus auto you will save a heap of work and money.

They are good transmission and are easy enough to get to work well.

You may have noticed in the chassis photos the one on the left has straight rails and the right they are waisted.

The left is after narrowing the rear half to fit my wheels and tyres under it.

I couldn't see you going manual and keeping the column shifter.

Going manual isn't a cheap option and if you want an easier swap stay with the auto.

Manual swaps on a 1UZ turns into an expensive excersise very quickly.

You need a box with bellhousing, an adapter to go between box and engine, flywheel, clutch plate, pressure plate and a throwout mechanism. Whereas the auto comes free!

I wouldn't be surprised if the stock Mitsi diff wouldn't hold up to the Lexus as well.

I couldn't see you going manual and keeping the column shifter.

Going manual isn't a cheap option and if you want an easier swap stay with the auto.

Manual swaps on a 1UZ turns into an expensive excersise very quickly.

You need a box with bellhousing, an adapter to go between box and engine, flywheel, clutch plate, pressure plate and a throwout mechanism. Whereas the auto comes free!

I wouldn't be surprised if the stock Mitsi diff wouldn't hold up to the Lexus as well.
Yeah I guessed it might not be cheap I will just stick with the Lexus box.
Next question rear axle which one did you use?

Sorry for the delay I have been away.

I used a Nissan Patrol rear axle shortened 340mm.

If using the Lexus trans I would check the ratio of the Mitsi diff and see if it would work.

I can't see the V8 would need a very different ratio to the 4 as they would have similar rev limits.

The auto would be easy on the diff so it should hold up.

Perhaps a bit of Googling to see how strong they are and what alternative ratios are available.

It would be good if you could nag onto the original as that would make things much easier.

DSC_0006.jpg
DSC_0006.jpg

DSC_0015.jpg

And the business end.

DSC_0019-1.jpg

How are you getting drive to the rear wheels the gearbox is pointing towards the front of the vehicle.

Craig,

The auto is adapted to a Nissan Patrol transfer case and I have it locked in Hi4x4 so the drive is taken off the front flange and passed back beside the engine to a heavily offset diff.

If you look at the first photo you can see the end of the transfer under the radiator.