Standalone ECU Megasquirt

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.
I did one last year on a 1uz marine motor that had vvti. Twin turbo on race gas. it runs great. I'm getting ready to do another one.

Lextreme said:
Nice ride.... beautiful.... So it is consider a stand alone or a piggyback?
Thank you. It's not mine though.. I just built and tuned the megasquirt. I also helped with mounting the ford throttle body and modifiying the fuel rails for different injectors. The owner of the car is very happy with all aspects of the performance.. I have done around a dozen megasquirts on a few different motors, and they have all turned out very nice. This marine 1uz doesn't have the dual dissys, so I used edis and put the pair of ford coils under the intake manifold. The next one I do will have the dissys, as the vvti street motors have weaker rods. The marine one has the earlier rods, but these motors are hard to find and expensive.

Megasquirt comes in a variety of forms.

The two main things to consider with it is do you buy the unassembled kit or the assembled kit.

You can buy Megasquirt as a stack of parts and assemble them yourself. To do this you would need to be very proficient with electronics and soldering. Take a look at the photos and ask yourself if you could solder all those components correctly and in the correct place. Can you identify the different components.

I've heard a lot of good things about Megasquirt but you almost always find it was built and installed by some one who knew all about electronics.

Zuffen said:
Megasquirt comes in a variety of forms.

The two main things to consider with it is do you buy the unassembled kit or the assembled kit.

You can buy Megasquirt as a stack of parts and assemble them yourself. To do this you would need to be very proficient with electronics and soldering. Take a look at the photos and ask yourself if you could solder all those components correctly and in the correct place. Can you identify the different components.

I've heard a lot of good things about Megasquirt but you almost always find it was built and installed by some one who knew all about electronics.
Yes, I have been in electronics for 35 years, and I am very good with mechanical things of any sort. That being said, you can buy a ms v2.2 with a ms1 processor built for 240 usd ( no! not from me). There is a lot of help on the forums. YES, you will spend a lot of time reading. You will also learn a LOT about FI. Regarding the photo's and assembly,

imo a picture isn't alway's worth a thousand words, sometimes you're better off reading a couple hundred.

Interesting and would this computer support 1UZFE? My brother is an Electronic Technician and I am pretty good with basic electronic work too. I would like to explore little more about it. I am sure other members have the same questions too. Would it support MAP?

Lextreme said:
Interesting and would this computer support 1UZFE? My brother is an Electronic Technician and I am pretty good with basic electronic work too. I would like to explore little more about it. I am sure other members have the same questions too. Would it support MAP?
MegaSquirt can pretty much run anything.
To build a MS ran engine you *really* do have to do a lot of research.
There are a lot of different variations of MegaSquirt, you do have to work out which one will do the job for the particular engine you are setting up.
For example, you could run the standard coils and dizzys, or run a EDIS setup.

As for MAP... MegaSquirt will only use MAP or AlphaN (TPS vs RPM).
It does not support AFMs.

Attachments

• omega05 003.jpg
    omega05 003.jpg
    101.5 KB · Views: 10
  • omega05 006.jpg
    omega05 006.jpg
    102.5 KB · Views: 5
  • omega05 007.jpg
    omega05 007.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 5
  • omega05 010.jpg
    omega05 010.jpg
    102.9 KB · Views: 7
  • omega05 011.jpg
    omega05 011.jpg
    103.8 KB · Views: 5
  • omega05 017.jpg
    omega05 017.jpg
    103.1 KB · Views: 6
MWP,

My suspicions about you were right. An electronics man.

I think the megasquirt is excellent value for money and it certainly does the job. If my old Dad was still with us I would be running it too as he was an electronics guru as well.

Maybe you could sell assembled Megasquirts to members. At least that way they would know they are getting a system that suits the 1/2/3 UZ-FE.

As an alternative perhaps you could do a short article on which one suits our engine best.

Information such as you have is priceless and saves members wasting money on the wrong gear.

Interesting thread, only prob is I can't decide which reply is for who. Is there another person here that has done a m/s on a 1uz. I'd like to compare spec's and maps

Zuffen said:
MWP,
My suspicions about you were right. An electronics man.
I think the megasquirt is excellent value for money and it certainly does the job. If my old Dad was still with us I would be running it too as he was an electronics guru as well.
Maybe you could sell assembled Megasquirts to members. At least that way they would know they are getting a system that suits the 1/2/3 UZ-FE.
As an alternative perhaps you could do a short article on which one suits our engine best.
Information such as you have is priceless and saves members wasting money on the wrong gear.
Hah, yeah, i have an Adv Diploma in Electonic Engineering :)
That isnt such a bad idea, building custom MegaSquirt units for xUZ owners.
Though its not something ill be able to do until ive finished this 1yr long round-the-world working holiday im currently on (im in Canada ATM).

[edit]
Maybe its somthing you could look info doing toy4me as it sounds like you already have good experience with MS and UZs.

I will be doing an earlier model jdm 1uz soon that comes with dual dissy's . After I sort it all out, I'll put up some info on how I did it, and what hardware is needed.