mazda gearbox?

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

vinnythespud

has anyone on here tried to mate a mazda rx7 or rx8 five speed gearbox to the 1uz, i have looked at all the toyota conversions and the look really good, only problem is the price of the gearboxes over here in the uk, i have looked at bmw m3, nissan 350 z, tvr t5 and many more, they are all so expensive, the only gearbox i have come across that is cheap is the mazda unit, is there a reason for that or is it just that there are loads of them around. the other thing that i noticed is that the bell housing unbolts from the gearbox so i was thinking it might be possible to use the lexus auto bell housing, any thoughts from you guys?

You need to look at the torque figures of both engines and where the torque is made.

RX7 & 8 make their torque up high (and not lots of it) whilst the UZ is much lower in the rv range and much more of it.

I would expect to kill the Mazda box pretty fast behind a 1UZ.

I killed my Rover LT77 behind a stock 1UZ but the box had been rallied hard and had 100,000klm on it that I knew of.

Have you thought about the Rover box?

pajman, the r154 gearbox would cost around £1000 to £1200 for a used one,i have only ever seen two for sale, the w58 is cheaper but once again they are a bit rare, the mazda gearbox cost around £150 and there are loads of them for sale, i am guessing that it is because the engines fail on rx8's so there are lots of them being parted out.

The R154/W58 are not that rare or expensive, I wanted one for my 1UZ/TR7 project and over the course of the past 18 months must have seen 20+ up for sale, mostly priced in the £500 to £800 range for a R154, and £300 to £450 for the W8. I ended up paying £700 for a R154.

The expensive bit is the flywheel, clutch and bellhousing (or adapter plate) assembly.

DSCF0289_zpsa15e44a3.jpg

11_08_2014006_zps784b1816.jpg

Last edited:
i was watching a w58 on ebay this week, it finished up at £675 plus postage, way too much for what it is. a cosworth t5 just ended at £1000, i must be looking in the wrong places, where did you find yours? i just had a look through your tr7 pictures, it looks like its going to be a beast, looking really nice, what sort of power figures do you expect with the itb's and what is the engine spec.

check this one http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/R154-Gear...arts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item2a4486c206

Last edited:
What about BMW gearboxes. Getrag I believe but not sure of the specs on them. Would have thought there would be a few over there

A lot of extra bits with that one though it is pricey. EBay is where I got mine, but I have had it a year or so now, maybe prices have hardened some?

Engine is standard other than the exhaust manifolds, ITB's and ecu, I am hoping bhp to be 325ish at the flywheel .....time will tell!

At £80 a go it doesn't matter so much if they don't last forever!

I've got a W58 in my car but thinking of an R154 in the future if I tune the engine. The problem is not just the cost of buying the R154, as on my car the W58 is the standard fitment and an R154 would need some thought and fabrication.

cheers, Mat.

I'm very interested in the GMAR5 that uses the R154 adapter kit. I'll have a look around and see what turns up on this side of the pond. The W58 and R154's are high priced.

the bmw 328 gearbox is almost as good as the M3 and can cope with 600 bhp easily.
Plus they can be had for 100 quid a go from an scrap yard.
There are a couple companies in the Uk that do the Bm-UZ adapter kit.