Matts Surf

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

jen3ss

Hi,
I thought it was about time I posted on here.
I bought this 91 Surf in 06, after a few years of driving it the lack of power was starting to drive me nuts, the surf must have known what I was thinking, I started it up one morning and was pleasantly surprised by the knock, knock, knock noise coming from the bottom of the engine, I went straight inside and with the most concerned look I could muster, broke the bad news to the missus, she came out for a listen and decided it must be a big end bearing for sure!
After weighing up the cost of rebuilding vs conversion the only real option she could see was to put a 1UZ in it, I told her if that was what she wanted that's what i would have to do!

So in June 09 I parked it out the back and started pulling it apart.

IMG_2973.jpg

One last look

IMG_2972.jpg

Pulling it out

IMG_2983.jpg

Empty bay

IMG_2988.jpg

Took the fuse box from here to make way for the airbox

IMG_2993.jpg

And moved it over here

IMG_3027.jpg

Have extended half the wiring to the fuse box and ran it inside, and shortened the other half.

Put in a 50mm body lift, had some problems with the back 4 bolts being to short, apparently some 4runners and surfs have different length rear bolts, It was sorted out with 1 phone call, new bolts turned up over night.

IMG_3045-1.jpg

IMG_3042.jpg

Before

IMG_3039.jpg

After

IMG_3043.jpg

I got a V6 4runner handbrake lever it pretty much went straight in. I just need to trim the bolts and either get some grommets or make a plate to cover the holes.

V6 and 4cyl handbrake levers

IMG_3124.jpg

Firewall before

IMG_3125.jpg

Firewall after

IMG_3127.jpg

Drilled 19mm hole in the firewall and ran the cable through, this would have been a lot easier without the gearbox in the way

IMG_3137.jpg

Got the fuel tank drained and out then spent the weekend cleaning and painting the floor and chassis.
I used 4 rattle cans of rubberized undercoat to do the floor

Before

u1.jpg

After

u2.jpg

The floor was looking good but it made the chassis look worse, so I cleaned and painted it gloss black, I still need to give it another coat and get all the bits I missed.

Before

b1.jpg

After

b2.jpg

Before

b3.jpg

After

b4.jpg

I bought the engine, loom, mounts, radiator, and extractors from Scott at Venom, he couldn't get anyone to freight it for a reasonable price so he drove it down himself, now that's service!.

It's going to take a fair bit of time to get this cleaned up and ready to go in.

IMG_3242.jpg

IMG_3241.jpg

About as close as it gets to surf 1uz conversion kit.

IMG_3240.jpg

The I started working out the fuel system, in the end I decided to use the diesel lines for the return and carbon can as they are a much neater fit and both run on the passenger side, and the v6 feed line for the high pressure, as I like the idea of having the factory bolt on fittings and fuel filter.

All the lines are a bolt in fit between models and all the fittings and studs are already there, the bracket for the fuel filter bolts to the chassis, also the diesel and v6 feed lines are the same size, and the return and carbon can lines are the same size for petrol and diesel.

V6 lines on the right.

IMG_3267.jpg

The fuel tanks are fairly similar between models, the only difference is the top, the v6 tank has a bigger hole where the pump bolts in, the sender units are slightly different as well, the v6 has a plastic sender and a different plug. I am going to swap the senders so it will plug into the factory harness as I don't like joining or soldering wires that rely on resistance.

V6 tank on the left

IMG_3272.jpg

Cleaned and Painted

IMG_3275.jpg

Then I got the gearbox cleaned and painted

1.jpg

Its starting to look a bit cleaner

2.jpg

The colour turned out better then what I was expecting, it didn't look that good on the lid, but looks great sprayed on.
I'm going to do the sump black after the box is back in, when I give it a service.

The pic doesn't really do it justice, there is a nice silver metallic through it.

IMG_3379.jpg

IMG_3403.jpg

IMG_3404.jpg

Then it sat for about 12 months while I was helping a few mates with their cars.

I started working on it again in February

Got the gearbox in.

C1-1.jpg

C2-1.jpg

g1.jpg

g2.jpg

I trimmed the support panel to fit the radiator, I will finish mounting it once the engine is in and I can see how much clearance there is.

R1.jpg

R2.jpg

and started pulling the engine apart to get it cleaned and ready for paint, by the looks of things its going to take a while to get it looking good.

E1.jpg

E2.jpg

E3.jpg

E4.jpg

E5.jpg

E6.jpg

E7.jpg

Its no wonder they put covers over everything, there's going to be a bit of work getting this thing tidied up, thankfully only 2 lock tabs broke getting it out.

E8.jpg

The more I take off the happier I am that I didn't just throw it in, the valley was full of sand/dirt, both rotor buttons were cracked and the water bridge had its own little eco system growing inside.

E01.jpg

E03.jpg

E02.jpg

Looks like it is a good idea to flush these engines out properly, and use the right coolant.

W1.jpg

W2.jpg

It took a few hours of scrubbing to get it cleaned up

It went from looking like this

SAM_0476.jpg

To this

SAM_0587.jpg

SAM_0588.jpg

http://i654.photobucket.com/albums/uu261/ML01UZ

It's too bad the sun had moved by the time I took the pics, it's a nice colour, but it doesn't photograph very well, the pic of the valley is about the closest one to how it realy looks.

[ATTACH=full]22055[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=full]22056[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=full]22057[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=full]22058[/ATTACH]

I'm planing on getting the rocker covers and manifolds power coated in candy red.

[ATTACH=full]22059[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=full]22060[/ATTACH]

I'm slowly getting this thing cleaned up and back together.

SAM_0630.jpg

SAM_0632.jpg

The new caps and rotor buttons turned up this week, so I got the front finished off, I'm not very happy with the plastic covers, 1 has a crack that has been glued up and the other one has 2 grooves in it.
If anyone has these covers that they want to sell, let me know.

F.jpg

LH.jpg

RH.jpg

I got the alternator and compressor done yesterday, gave the rear cover and shield a quick polish.

A2.jpg

A1.jpg

co1.jpg

c02.jpg

I got the Rocker covers and manifold stripped and cleaned up ready for powder coat.

pc.jpg

I was surprised how clean the engine is inside, I must be too used to seeing hard carbon'd Alloytecs.

lh-1.jpg

rh-1.jpg

I gave the injectors a quick clean as well, so I can send them out to be cleaned/tested.

in.jpg

Thanks mate.
I'm using the Lexus auto, it is the same as the Surf auto, the transfer bolts up with minor output shaft and speed sensor mods.

yes its easier to do abit of mechanical work and fit the lexus auto than to use the surf auto as the surf auto is a bugger to set up electrically
even then theres abit of work running wires from old surf auto ecu to the lexus ecu
to get all things working correctly