mating the mkiv supra automatic to the 1uz

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

kale

there have been many mkiv supra 6pd conversions in the works it seems, but i have available a mkiv shell with an automatic in it. it's a project car i'd like to transplant a 1uz in, i have considered the 6speed, in fact i have one in my daily driver mkiv, but i'd like to keep this auto for a number of reasons, the primary being that i already have virtually all the parts i need to make it work.

has anyone mated the mkiv automatic transmission to the 1uz? i assume the same adapter would need to be made which fits the v160 bellhousing as the bolt pattern and distance must be the same, but i've never examined how the extra 3/4" of space between the tranny and the engine could be dealt with in an auto. does the torque convertor mounting need to be modified? or will it be able to work with relatively little modification?

in terms of mating the gearbox to the engine, i would imagine it to be as simple as just swapping the bellhousing to a v8 one as both the 1uz and 2jz's used a340e gearboxes.

as for the gap, an alloy spacer would do the trick.. you'd just need longer stud bolts.

i dont know about the situation with the torque converter though.

that's right- i was under the impression the atup was different. so that's one issue solved, unfortunately the easy one. now it's just a matter of determining how the TC will work with the increased gap.

The tranny is the same between the two cars. 34xE (x denote as either 341E or 340E). Changing the bellhousing should do the job. You can get the bellhousing from the SC400 or LS400. If not, you can just get the SC400 or LS400 complete tranny. However, they are all the same. Basically, it will bolt right in.

just so i am totally clear here, even with the 3/4 gap, if can build a spacer to slide in there, there will be no problem with the torque convertor bolting up to the engine despite the additional 3/4 ... and it will still function flawlessly with no further modification?

this sounds waaaay too simple. :smile:

What is this 3/4" gap you speak of?

Take the mkiv tranny, remove the bellhousing, install a 1uz auto bellhousing, use the 1uz auto TC, bolt up to 1uz.
Done.

That said, you will need the auto to work with the ecu, so you will need a 1uz auto box.

So the mkiv auto becomes redundant.

Here is some information might help you Kale. http://www.lextreme.com/transmission.htm

Supra N/A uses 340E
Supra TT uses 341E
SC400 uses 340E
LS400 uses 341E

The 340 and 341 is basically the same transmission. The only difference that i know of is the gearing.

Like PeeWee stated, you will need 1uzfe bellhousing and everything will bolt right up. the drive shaft length might be different because of different setup.

thanks for the information guys.

"What is this 3/4" gap you speak of?"

i was assuming since i'm swapping this into a mkiv chassis, that with the stock mkiv auto transmission, the 1uz would sit forward 3/4" from the stock bellhousing based on measurements of difference between the back of the 2jz, and the back of the 1uzfe by turboandrew.

i assumed that with the stock auto tranny left in place so the driveshaft and mounts bolt up, there would be that gap left to contend with. but if swapping the bellhousing and torque convertor from the ls400 solves these problems, then this ease of bolt-on installation is just one more reason for me to stick with an auto, vs. switching to a 6speed.

"Like PeeWee stated, you will need 1uzfe bellhousing and everything will bolt right up. the drive shaft length might be different because of different setup"

assuming the mkiv auto tranny is the same as the auto from the ls400 sans the bellhousing, why would the driveshaft length between the mkiv a341e and the mkiv rear end be any different if the rear half of the mkiv auto remains the same? switching bellhousings shouldn't affect the transmission mounting points to the chassis should it? and hence, retaining the same length of driveshaft shouldn't be a problem?

"That said, you will need the auto to work with the ecu, so you will need a 1uz auto box. So the mkiv auto becomes redundant."

right, i'll have a standalone ems to run things with, so that's not so much an issue i'm concerned about, it should all function together. i could swap in a full 1uz auto tranny, but that seems redundant given my ecu option, and i'd like to keep the mkiv turbo auto tranny anyway since i already have one sitting here. either way, i suppose to get the ls400 bellhousing i'd need to pick up the full ls400 auto anyway. so it looks like either way i'll have an extra transmission sitting here, but i know the tranny i have now is in good shape, so no surprises there.

And how do you propose the ems will run the auto???

Also, if the rear of the 1uz sits 3/4" further forward than the rear of the 2jz, then the auto trans WILL HAVE TO sit 3/4" further forward too.
You will need to get the tailshaft modded.

i see. a new driveshaft is in order then.

regarding the ems, the ems is set to run the mkiv auto and 2jz and has been in many supras previously ... i am just adapting it to run the 1uz, which has been successful as well.

Kale,

I think you know something a lot of others would love to know about.

Can you tell all about the ems sytem and how it interfaces with the 1UZ auto.

Can it also interface with the engine?

He's talking about the AEM EMS for the mk4 supra, all AEM EMS computers have the abilitity to control transmissions. You can even use it to control a 4L60e/4L80e gm trannies. They work with mag and hall sensors. They offer many plug and play units for various cars. All units have built in traction control, boost control, EGT, Fuel pressure, nitrous pressure fuel correction, Closed loop o2 as well as other features. Some are offered with built in wide band sensor.
www.aempower.com