Project Thread LS 400 Single Turbo

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.
...nope, since they are for the 3UZ...first we will finish the 1UZ....
I wish we could have tested them :cool2:...they look soooo sweet !

t_vvticams1_774.jpg

Specs:
0.368 lift, 234 in/ex @ 0.050
We ordered them through Eric at T T C...and he predicted "4 digit hp and performance all the way until redline..."....

Definitely looking forward to how these things respond. Are you going to be utilizing the VVTi or will you run them fixed?

AFA Eric is concerned, has he ever provided you with ANY actual data, dyno tests, flow test data, etc? He has made many claims but I have never seen ANY actual data from him. Some of the T T C work is definitely pretty but pretty is not power.

...with VVTI offcourse !
AFA Eric is concerned, has he ever provided you with ANY actual data, dyno tests, flow test data, etc? He has made many claims but I have never seen ANY actual data from him. Some of the T T C work is definitely pretty but pretty is not power.
...no data, which is a "weak" point I agree....I also have to trust Arnout on this since he ordered them, so I think it will be fine in the end :)...and i think they come from www.webcamshafts.com so it's not something that Eric is producing with a local builder iirc....

Actually I am still waiting on the results of his TT 2UZ tune...it will be interesting to see how his masterpiece will perform....

This is a noob Q, but how do both intake/exhaust interact? I have a non VVT and am familiar with the scissor gear setup bt was cuious... do they use cam gears on the front of the engine? or is ther some mechinery in between?

This is a noob Q, but how do both intake/exhaust interact? I have a non VVT and am familiar with the scissor gear setup bt was cuious... do they use cam gears on the front of the engine? or is ther some mechinery in between?

If your refering to the VVTi cams, they still use a scissor assembly just like the non VVTi cams but they are up front instead of in the center of the cam. You can see it on the exhaust cam in the pic above. The intake cam scissor gear is part of the VVTi / belt pulley assembly. The intake cam is seperate from the assembly to allow for timing control of the intake cam.

Attachments

• P1010001 (Small).JPG
    P1010001 (Small).JPG
    36.7 KB · Views: 190
  • P1010002 (Small).JPG
    P1010002 (Small).JPG
    35.3 KB · Views: 187
  • P1010003 (Small).JPG
    P1010003 (Small).JPG
    45 KB · Views: 186
  • P1010004 (Small).JPG
    P1010004 (Small).JPG
    42.3 KB · Views: 186

Yes, as Chris points out there is still a sissors gear but now at the front instead of the middle. On the intake cam the gear is not directly attached it instead has a mechanism that allow each intake cam to be advanced or retarded which changes both the phasing between intake and exhaust as well as the IVO and IVC timing. This is not an on/off variable timing like dual or triple pattern camshafts and followers. It is also not all one way for low end and all the other for high end. It actually is moved based on a map which is dependent on load, RPM and throttle position.

Fasteddie, Arnout & Justen,

I don't mean to dwell needlessly on this point about the 3SGTE shim under buckets & retainers and their compatibility with the 1UZ motor, but all of you outside the USA evidently have access to parts that we in the USA don't.

I've been corresponding with the very knowledgeable Curt Aigner, Parts Manager for Elmhurst Toyota in Chicago, who many of us from the Supra world buy our parts from, and he is telling me that the USDM 3SGTE motor has never had a shim-under bucket setup.

Further, the motor in the MR2 Spyder (of ~2000-2003??? vintage), along with the Prius motor, uses shimless buckets (which I already knew, since I have 32 of them running in my 1st 1UZ)

Evidently in the US we do not have any Toyota motors that have a shim under bucket setup, and also have 6.0mm valve stems. This jives with the information I was given by both Manley & Supertech in the past.

So, I would very much like to have the Toyota P/N's of those retainers that you (Arnout) showed in post #27 of this thread, here: http://www.lextreme.com/forums/showpost.php?p=101439&postcount=27 to see if our Toyota guys in the US can get them.

If anyone has different info, or corrections to the above, let's hear it. It's good for the whole community.

Thanks in advance

Hey John,
The Shim under bucket setup comes in the Gen III 3SGTE. This engine is found in the ST205 GT4 (never went to US) but also the late model MAP sensed MR2T (which i though did go to the US?).

You also got the VVTi 1UZ in the later Soarers and they are shim under as well? This is the setup i have so all i need is a suitable retainer to take the shim and match the 6mm valve stem.

them retainers are 4,50 euro a piece plus local sales tax. if you send me 32 x 4,50 euro plus 15 euro shipping plus 3,5% paypal fees I'll enveloppe ship them to you tomorrow and you can start playing. 165 euro to: [email protected]

Arnout, I have no problem buying them from you, as that's a very fair price, but would you be willing to provide the Toyota P/N's, so we in the US can see if they can be sourced through Curt, without the hassle of overseas shipping, Customs, etc.?

trust me you won't be able to get them in the USA. I buy loads of stock toyota parts from usa (Jeff Watson) and all JDM stuff is very hard to get and special order for like 3 months wait time. but give him a try: 13741-88460

Here's the last word from Curt about buying the JDM 3SGTE parts from the USA:

John,

All of the numbers listed below are not in the USA system. I cannot order these

Retainer: 13741-88460
Valve locks: 90913-03021
Spring: 90501-35022
Lifter: 13751-88460
Valve: 13711-88460 (intake)

Thank you for choosing us as your preferred Toyota Dealer.

Curt Aigner
Parts Manager
Elmhurst Toyota/Scion 12034

Cheers Justen, I had to put this on the back burner for a bit, but I'd really like to have at least one of those retainers to look at if you or Arnout would pick one up for me, and let me know how much to send you with shipping to the US.

Arnout, (or anyone) can you tell me what diameter shims those retainers use? The current crop of USDM UZ motors (with 5.5mm valve stems) are using 10.8mm diameter shims, so these are readily available here.

quick update:
...working on finalizing the block.
Will go with 680 cc injectors including peak and hold.
Peak and hold might be included in the soon to be released new AEM or will be added seperately.
With 80% duty cycle we hope to see some nice numbers...:fingersx:

Edit: anyone experience with 550cc and up injectors for the 1UZ ???

Attachments

• 1uz1.jpg
    1uz1.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 218
  • 1uz2.jpg
    1uz2.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 215