losing engine power when hitting water

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

dar_sbb

Hey guys

ive noticed that when i do a water crossing of substantial water (yesterday melbourne had really bad floods and issue arose again) the engine starts running of less cylinders. Now this only happens the first time i hit water and after maybe 5mins everything is fine and i can drive through as much water as possible...

So it only happens the first moment i hit water and will last for around 5mins or so... its a bit of an issue cause the truck loses all power and tries to stall and the worst place u want it to stall is in the middle of the drink.

i have a 4in snorkel, sealed airbox and most of the time the truck is sprayed with a water disperser...

has anyone else run into anything like this or can anyone shed any light on the situation

cheers

simon...??
well i remember when this first came up... u thought it was either that or the injectors not sprayed with wd40 etc...

we had huge rain in melb on friday... and i had recently sprayed everything...

if it was water in the plug tubes... wouldnt it happen everytime i hit water?

Yep..

One thing we both forgot......

Dizzy caps...

Big spray of water up the front of the engine and it's "Miss 'N' F@rt" and carry on and by the way they are mounted on the front of the cams unless you go distributor-less ignition there isn't a lot you can do about it

hmm... thats normally the first thing i spray. All my covers are on aswell.

im taking out bush hopefully in a week or so... will cover everything and let u know how i go.

and always thanks!

Hey guys,

bringing up an old thread.

im giving the truck a bit of tlc, timing belt, valve stem seals, cam seals, water pump and a general clean up.

pulled the caps off and this is what i found:

water has got through behind the rotors from the cam gear and come through to the rotor. This is what i suspect gave me the water crossing issues. I cant explain why it would only happen on the first crossing though. I guess a positive is that it gets out as easy as it gets in.

What i thought where plus points (dizzys up high) hasnt helped the cause. So i wanna know has anyone sealed these a bit better from the back?