Looking for some advice - Jaguar M112 to '93 1UZ-FE

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

Meiser

Hi everyone!

I was toying with the idea of supercharging my UZA80 when I managed to get hold of a Jaguar (Eaton) M112 for not very much money at all. So, I now have one sitting in my shed and since then I've been looking into into ways to mount it to my 1UZ.

I've seen a few different ways to do it, have made a number of observations and notes and at the end of it all, I've come up with 4 choices for how I could mount it. What I would like help with, it sorting the fact from the fiction and some pointers on which way would be the best way to go. I don't want to run an insane amount of power and torque, but in the short term I plan to run 5-6 psi and go from there.

The choices I have come up with for mounting my supercharger to are as follows, if at the end, you have any other suggestions, please do let me know, as I have not made my mind up on anything and I am open to input :)!

1. A prefabricated inlet manifold (e.g. one from Bullet Cars), no charge cooler.

2. A prefabricated inlet manifold (e.g. one from Bullet Cars), with a charge cooler (e.g. one from Bullet cars or a "home fabricated" solution).

3. Use the stock 1UZ lower inlet manifold, with a "home fabricated" charge cooler on the top

4. Use a setup that similar to what Joel used for his 1UZ powered boat: http://planetsoarer.com/joel/Joel.htm.

I believe that option 1 would be the quickest and option and require the least fabrication, but as there are very few (if any) supercharger inlet manifold manufacturers/suppliers in the UK, I would have to get one from abroad, which will add additional cost and time to the project. Option 2 could be the one that requires the most initial outlay, but wouldn't require much more fabrication than option 1. Option 3 would allow me to retain part of the stock inlet, so I won't have worry about sorting fuel rails, but will require a decent amount of fabrication and sourcing of a suitable "radiator" to use as a charge cooler. Option 4 would require the most fabrication by a country mile, has the most unknowns but would require the lest initial outlay, as I can get hold of the Jaguar charge coolers with relative ease.

I'm fine with wielding spanners, swapping engines and transmissions, doing wiring and researching and sourcing parts but I cannot fabricate. I'm happy to make a mock-up out of cardboard or draw what I require/would like, but I've never welded and don't have access to pieces of steel or aluminium so, I would be fully dependant on a third party and as such, will have to cover labour costs. I know that one think I will definitely have to get made up is an inlet adaptor that goes from the throttle body, around approx. 135 degrees and mounts to the back of the supercharger and it will have to have inputs for the cold start injector, amongst other things.

I do apologise for the scroll, but I want to everything out there and see what everyone thinks. As I said earlier, I'm open to suggestions, if I've missed something important, please do point it out as I want to learn and make an informed decision.

Thanks in advance everyone!

Getting the manifold from O/s isn't cheap by the time you purchase one and ship then pay VAT. I'd guess you would be looking at up to GPB1,000.

If you check Joel's account on this Forum (jordys ski boat) he modified a lower 1UZ manifold for a supercharger. Here's a shortcut http://www.lextreme.com/forums/member.php?u=656 have a look at all threads he started.

I would think you could have one fabricated for no more cost than importing one.

Here is a friend of mine in his 1uz centura. Here it has the 112 on a bullet manifold running 9lb boost, no intercooler still skidding the same motor 5 years later and probably done more skids than any other car in the country. Road registered and also competes in the street machine drag challenges. Does 11's on the 1/4mile.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBqkPXVSLsc
If you have bonnet space you can use one of these-
http://www.elatemfg.com/category/manifolds
I am running one of these with an M90, 25mm phenolic spacer and water injection.

Thanks for that Tappet, that's good to know! I did e-mail Elate with an enquiry about their non-VVTi manifolds about a month or so ago (according to the site, they've sold out of them), but I am still yet to receive a response :-(. I will give them another go and hopefully get a response, this time.

Well, it looks like I can get hold of one of the Elate manifolds, so they are a viable option.

Tappet, if you don't mind me asking, did you purchase your spacer or make your own? Also, how are getting on with your setup? The only reason I ask, is because I haven't seen many setups that make use of the stock lower inlet manifold, so I'm just curious to know how it's working out for you.

Because I had an M90 Gen111 which is wider than the Elate manifold I had to make my own top plate. Easy enough as it was just 20mm ally plate water cut.
It suited me as I wanted a little extra height, I also have a 25mm phenolic spacer under the charger to stop heat soak. I will see if I can make a vid this afternoon with more detail.

Thanks for the video, it was very helpful and definitely gives me something to think about; are you still running the stock ECU?

The only thing that's making me pause from jumping on the Elate manifold at the moment is the height of the supercharger. I know that mine won't be as high as yours as due to you having the custom top plate and phenolic spacer, but my Supra bonnet is quite close to, if not touching, the top of the upper manifold already. I don't mind putting a bulge on my bonnet, I just don't want to have a huge one.

Thanks for the video, it was very helpful and definitely gives me something to think about; are you still running the stock ECU?

The only thing that's making me pause from jumping on the Elate manifold at the moment is the height of the supercharger. I know that mine won't be as high as yours as due to you having the custom top plate and phenolic spacer, but my Supra bonnet is quite close to, if not touching, the top of the upper manifold already. I don't mind putting a bulge on my bonnet, I just don't want to have a huge one.
Still running the factory ecu and hoping to keep it this way, as I mentioned before I will be skidding the car in two days from now so that will be the test. I am doing this for where I live dyno's are just not practical and I love the ability to check codes. The charger sits high because I have done everything I can to make it sit as high as possible. Its not a street car, it is just a car built to do 2 minute skids to impress people I do not even know.

Sounds good! My plan was to run the stock ECU for as long as realistically possible and am quite pleased that that it can cope with such changes. I am going to out with my tape measure and supercharger this weekend, get some measurements and go from there :).

The problem I have found with the standard ecu is the rev limiter is to harsh cutting the motor off and on, thus creating so much backlash in the blower belt it throws it off. I did quite a few runs and after about a minute of sitting on the limiter it also starts to knock.
Other than that I think the stock ecu would be fine at low boost having a bit of fun here an there on the street, but in my application I think I will be going for a Link G4+atom ecu.
Here is a quick vid of a belt coming off. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N06kQWOxtoA

Thanks for that Tappet, that's good to know! I did e-mail Elate with an enquiry about their non-VVTi manifolds about a month or so ago (according to the site, they've sold out of them), but I am still yet to receive a response :-(. I will give them another go and hopefully get a response, this time.

Hey Meiser,

Its been a while since I was on these forums but decided to have a look to see what I was missing and came across your thread. I own and run Elate Mfg. , for a couple months in 2016 we were having huge issues with our email provider so never got an email from you (or anyone else for that matter) so need to apologies for not getting back. Feel free to drop me a line if you need anything..