Lexus in Europe?!?

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

xirforever

I have been in Greece on vacation for about 3 weeks now and guess how many lexus cars i have seen?.............. 4!! (2 IS300's and 2 RX300's) I have seen just as many Ferrari cars and a couple maseraties (however you spell it). There are an unending amount of mecedes and other german cars here for obvious reasons, but they are still expensive. Why is this? Can anyone tell me why Lexus is more rare here than ANY other car in the world?! Hell, my past few visits i have seen more american cars, encluding lots of ford and some chryslter and even a Camero! So does anyone have any explination other than they tax on the size engine, i wont buy that cuz i saw a H2 the other day and a dodge Ram! So any info would be apreciated.

Thanks everyone,

Nick

Nick, Lexus is very rare in Europe. Only 20k cars were sold last year, most in the U.K. The problem is the image some, most rather a German car and Lexus offers no diesal model yet. Lexus is growing in popularity from used car lots as many people are simply tired of the problems of the German cars.

But outside the IS 300, there is no hardcore sports Lexus that favor Euro tastes.

Lexus has promised it will attack Europe with a vengance with it's hybrids and new models.

xirforever said:
thanks for the great info sicklex, you know what new models lexus is trying to make for the european market?
Lexus already sells
IS 200
IS 300
GS 300
GS 430
SC 430
LS 430
RX 330

The GX is the Toyota LandCruiser now...

I hear the 100k super Lexus sports car will be sold in Europe, hybrid with 400hp.

I recently spent 3 weeks in Europe and saw 5 Lexus. Unfortunately 3 of them were RX300's!

Personally I am not the sort of person to own a Lexus but I do acknowledge they are seriously good stuff. Pity they weren't made in Europe then the world would accept they are a good thing.

xirforever said:
whats the difference between the IS200 and IS300, they looked the same to me....
I'll have to look through my EVOs to give you exact specs. Cars look the same. Engine is a 2.5 liter I-6 good for 160hp I think...I'll have to research, give me a couple days.....
Japanese IS 200/Altezza uses an I-4...

There's also the minor difference of right hand drive.

IS200 Specification & prices
This page provides an overview of IS200's impressive technical performance data. Click here to enter the Lexus Technology section, for more detailed information about Lexus engineering and design features.

Click here to view the UK prices for the IS200.
Performance & Fuel Consumption

Maximum Speed: Manual: 134 mph
Auto:127 mph
Acceleration 0-62 mph(0-100 km/h): Manual: 9.5 sec
Auto: 11.2 sec
Fuel Consumption
Urban: Manual: 21.4 mpg
Auto: 20.2 mpg
Extra-urban: Manual: 36.2 mpg
Auto:36.7 mpg
Combined: Manual: 29.1 mpg
Auto:28.5 mpg
CO2 emissions: Manual: 231 g/km
Auto: 237g/k
Compression Ratio: 10.0:1

Dimensions & Weight

Dimensions
Length: 4400 mm
Width: 1725 mm
Height: 1420 mm
Wheel base: 2670 mm
Fuel tank capacity: 70 litres
Luggage compartment capacity: 400 litres
Gross vehicle weight
Front: Manual: 880 kg
Auto: 890 kg
Rear: Manual: 950 kg
Auto:940 kg
Total: Manual: 1830 kg
Auto: 1830 kg
Maximum permissible axle capacity
Front: 1055 kg
Kerb weight
Kerb Minimum: Manual: 1380 kg
Auto:1385 kg
Kerb Maximum: Manual: 1455 kg
Auto:1455 kg
Wheels and tyres
Wheel size: 6.5JJ x 16"
Tyre size: 205/55R16"
Towing capacity
With brake: 1200 kg
Without brake: 450 kg

Chassis & Body

* Rigid high-tensile steel cabin cage
* Extensive anti-corrosion protection
* Super-high quality finish featuring multi-layer paint treatment

Exterior

* 16" alloy wheels with locking wheel nuts
* Electrically heated and foldable outside rear view mirrors
* Front fog lamps
* Immobiliser
* Double locking
* Stainless steel exhaust pipe finisher

Engine & Transmission

* 2-litre engine
* VVT-i - Variable Valve Timing - intelligent (electronically controlled)
* ETCS-i - Electronic Throttle Control System - intelligent: advanced computerised engine management system
* 6-speed manual transmission or 4-speed Electronically Controlled Transmission (ECT-i) with intelligent computer control
* AI shift system
* Dual stainless steel exhaust system with catalytic converters

Cylinders/valves: in line 6/24
Capacity: 1988 cc
Compression ratio: 10.0:1
Stroke/Bore: 75.0 x 75.0 mm
Maximum output: 153 bhp (114 kW) @ 6200 rpm
Maximum torque: 144 lb/ft (195 Nm) @ 4600 rpm

Suspension, Braking & Safety Systems

Suspension
Front: Double wishbone
Rear: Double wishbone
Brakes
Front: Ventilated disc
Rear: Solid disc
Safety

* Driver and front passenger airbags
* Front seats side airbag system, with curtain shield front airbags
* Seat belts with pre-tensioners and force limiters
* Traction Control System (TRC)
* Traction Control System (TRC)
* Electronic Brake force Distribution (EBD)
* Brake Assist (BAS)
* Anti-lock Braking System (ABS)

Interior

* Fabric upholstery
* Tilt-adjustable steering wheel
* Chronograph style instrument
* meter design
* Drink holders front and rear
* Floor mats
* Front armrest (automatic transmission)
* Metallic gear shift knob
* Electric windows with anti-jam protection and one-touch auto up/down feature on driver's side
* Climate-control air conditioning Cruise control (automatic transmission)

Audio

* 6-speaker stereo hi-fi system
* 3-wave-band RDS radio with 18 pre-set channels and Dolby cassette
* 6-disc CD autochanger

http://www.lexus.co.uk/specification.php?model=is&variant=200&area=specification

US spec bumpers stick out pretty far. Maybe I'm used to my car, but it looks unnnatural. The Euro spec rear bumper is about 1/2 the length of the US spec one, and the Euro spec front bumper looks more "flush" with the grille area.

- Euro spec does not have the marker lights on the front and rear bumpers.

- Euro spec has clear sidemarkers that blink amber on the front fenders.

- Euro spec has power retractable folding side mirrors.

- Euro spec has headlight washers on models equipped with HID.

- Euro spec has manual headlight level control on non-HID equipped
models.

- Euro spec stock stereo is built for right hand drive cars (even though my car is left hand drive). All the controls are reversed.

From my local market spec sheet:

IS300 1550 kg (3417.107 lbs)
2JZ-GE, 2.997L, 24V VVT-i I6, 213PS (not sure how that converts to US hp)

IS200 1420 kg (3130.511 lbs)
1G-FE, 1.998L, 24V VVT-i I6, 155PS

Not sure about suspension, but I heard somewhere that the IS200 and IS300 share the same suspension with the US-spec IS300.

Europe

1. IS200 (http://www.lexus.co.uk/specification.php?model=is&variant=200&area=specification)
1G-FE: 2.0L inline 6 VVTi - 153 hp
a) 4 speed auto RWD
b) 6 speed manual RWD

2. IS200 Sportcross (http://www.lexus.co.uk/specification.php?model=is&variant=200sport&area=specification)
1G-FE: 2.0L inline 6 VVTi - 153 hp
a) 6 speed manual RWD

3. IS300 (http://www.lexus.co.uk/modelrange.php?model=is&variant=300&area=modelhome)
2JZ-GE: 3.0L inline 6 VVTi - 211 hp
a) 5 speed auto RWD

4. IS300 SportCross (http://www.lexus.co.uk/specification.php?model=is&variant=300sportcross&area=specification)
2JZ-GE: 3.0L inline 6 VVTi - 211 hp
a) 5 speed auto RWD

Japan (http://www.toyota.co.jp/Showroom/All_toyota_lineup/Altezza/index.html)

1. Altezza AS200
1G-FE: 2.0L inline 6 VVTi - 160 hp
a) 4 speed auto RWD
b) 6 speed manual RWD

2. Altezza RS200
3S-GE: 2.0L inline 4 Dual VVTi - 210/200 hp
a) 4 speed auto (200hp) RWD
b) 6 speed manual (210hp) RWD

3. Altezza Gita AS200
1G-FE: 2.0L inline 6 VVTi - 160 hp
a) 4 speed auto RWD
b) 4 speed auto 4WD

4. Altezza Gita AS300
2JZ-GE: 3.0L inline 6 VVTi - 220 hp
a) 5 speed auto RWD
b) 4 speed auto 4WD

North America

1. IS300
2JZ-GE: 3.0L inline 6 VVTi - 215 hp
a) 5 speed auto RWD
b) 5 speed manual RWD

1. IS300 Sportcross
2JZ-GE: 3.0L inline 6 VVTi - 215 hp
a) 5 speed auto RWD

So pretty much, you could say the best model is...

1. in Japan (if you like the high-revving and 2975 lbs almost 50-50 Altezza RS200 3S-GE 6-speed)
or

2. in America (if you like the supra-derived and 3255 lbs and 54-46 IS300 2JZ-GE 5-speed stick)

The new IS diesel version is currently being manufactured in Poland, so im guessing that Europe is understanding more and more that Lexus' are incredible cars and Lexus is understanding that Europe needs diesel cars, so its just a matter of a few years and watch, there's going to be a huge increase in Lexus' there.

i live in europe and i can say it´s hard to sell a car without diesel.
but the latest lexus models have strong diesel, so i think they will sell much more in future.
in greece they don´t have any money to buy a lexus, and if, they prefer Mercedes :sorry: (all taxis are Mercedes there)
in switzerland, they don´t like german cars, so lexus is a great alternative because the petrol is cheap and the diesel expensive.

I am in Italy and I have the only SC400 here!(I been here for 5 years) And I love the exclusivety. Nice rolling up to the dealership and around town and people give you the :wtf: car is that. Only thing that sucks is I have order parts from Japan:shrug:

Isnt the only reason why you see so many bmw's and mainly mercedes because theyre manufactured in europe and therefore theyre significantly cheaper to purchase over there? But the truth is, i love mercedes dont get me wrong, but theyre no where near as realiable as lexus' are. Europeans in europe dont realize that. Honestly, lexus just needs to start producing a larger line up of diesel vehicles and in a few years they will start to gain success in those countries.

People in greece love their cars, so to say they cant afford them i would say is wrong. They love to show off cars, its a status symbol to them. All i see are turbo cayennes and a few lambos and generally nice cars. Of course the average people cant afford those, not even in the USA, but generally, the poeple with the money there love to show it off. example: you cant get into a nice club without a nice car