Jeep Cherokee Lexus V8

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.
The 1uz VVti is DBW but the APS is located on the TB and operated by a Cable to the TB. Most of the time I find the Calibration Of each manufactures APS units needs to be exact so interchanging between manufactures is not practical with factory ECU. Im just doing a 3uz in a 08 hilux and using the factory APS but using a link xtreme to take care of management. Tested it all with a scope and it looks ok but time will tell when its all connected and tested. This model only runs CAN if auto and this one is manaul. The dash is normal except for the water temp gauge which runs off a PWM from the ECU(the link will control this).
I would be checking all the Communication links between all the processer units on the Jeep. CAN cannels can cause issues and often the late vehicles ECUs are also daisychained together. I did a isuzu V-cross and the ABS , airbag and engine ECU shared Seriel links but the info flow was from the Airbag and ABS to the ECU with no reverse feedbacks. I check as much of this stuff before starting the jobs where I can. Even simply stuff Like alternators are often ECU controled now.
It is often neccessary to wire a Vehicle system , a Toyota Engine system and them a intergration system between the two and modify signals to suit. Clever aftermarket systems with configurable signal outputs often make life easier.

Good luck with the build. I would look for a rear sump first though. You can try Fana van Zyl from Adaptop Plate and Conversion Centre in GP. He makes up custom sumps.
As for the Spitronics its not too difficult. You can do it with a basic understanding of wiring. Getting the Jeeps bits to work together may require thinking out the box. There are diagrams available for the Spits.

The Jeep uses a PCI Bus to communicate with other components like the cluster etc.
I will be using an aftermarket ECU to run the Lexus but use some of the output of this ECU to send hardwire voltage signals to the standard Jeep "Powertrain Control Module" and "Body Control Module" this will then convert the signals to "PCI Bus" and talk to the Jeep cluster etc. to make all the gadgets work.

I hope......

The main thing will be to adjust the aftermarket ECU to send the correct hardwire voltage signal to the Standard Jeep control modules to get accurate information from it.

The Jeep will not even know it doesn't have a Jeep motor in it anymore... I'm sure it will notice a great improvement in performance though LOL

Good luck with the build. I would look for a rear sump first though. You can try Fana van Zyl from Adaptop Plate and Conversion Centre in GP. He makes up custom sumps.
As for the Spitronics its not too difficult. You can do it with a basic understanding of wiring. Getting the Jeeps bits to work together may require thinking out the box. There are diagrams available for the Spits.

Thanks will follow up with Fana van Zyl for the sump.

Your right to get the engine running is nothing but it will take some time and effort to get all the other goodies to work right...:)

I've read up a little on the CRD Jeep PCM (ECU) and it seems all it really reads from the engine is Temperature, Oils pressure, CAM position.

Does that sound right?

I know a diesel is less sophisticated but that seems way less than I expected...

This is what I need to get working on the dash to complete the convertion:

Coolant Temperature Gauge
Fuel Gauge
Speedometer
Tachometer
Charging Indicator
Coolant Low Indicator (with Diesel Engine only)
Cruise Indicator (with Speed Control only)
Four-Wheel Drive Full Time Indicator (with Selec-Trac Transfer Case only)
Four-Wheel Drive Low Mode Indicator (with Four-Wheel Drive only)
Four-Wheel Drive Part Time Indicator (with Four-Wheel Drive only)
Low Oil Pressure Indicator
Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL)
Wait-To-Start Indicator (with Diesel Engine only)
Water-In-Fuel Indicator (with Diesel Engine only)

What still work without a motor:

Airbag Indicator (with Airbag System only)
Front Fog Lamp Indicator (with Front Fog Lamps only)
High Beam Indicator
Low Fuel Indicator
Rear Fog Lamp Indicator (with Rear Fog Lamps only)
Seatbelt Indicator
Security Indicator (with Vehicle Theft Security System only)
Turn Signal (Right and Left) Indicators
Antilock Brake System (ABS) Indicator (with ABS only)
Brake Indicator

Last edited:
1 - skis indicator 17 - rear fog lamp indicator
2 - airbag indicator 18 - abs indicator
3 - low fuel indicator 19 - charging indicator
4 - wait-to-start indicator 20 - water-in-fuel indicator
5 - overdrive-off indicator 21 - engine temperature gauge
6 - coolant low indicator 22 - odometer/trip odometer switch button
7 - light bar lamp indicator 23 - odometer/trip odometer display
8 - seatbelt indicator 24 - cruise indicator
9 - tachometer 25 - low oil pressure indicator
10 - left turn indicator 26 - transmission overtemp indicator
11 - high beam indicator 27 - part time 4wd indicator
12 - right turn indicator 28 - brake indicator
13 - speedometer 29 - full time 4wd indicator
14 - front fog lamp indicator 30 - security indicator
15 - 4wd low mode indicator 31 - fuel gauge
16 - malfunction indicator lamp (mil)

Attachments

• Dash diagram.JPG
    Dash diagram.JPG
    131.8 KB · Views: 11
The turn signal indicators, security
indicator, washer fluid indicator, and coolant low
indicator (diesel engine only) use hard wired inputs
to the Dasboard.

Temp sensor

The temp sensor is monitored by 5v output citcuit from the Powertrain control module to the sensor and back to the PCM.

This will be easy to get right...

Speedo

Vehicle speed is monitored by the two front and one rear wheels via speed sensors. This 12V signwave is sent to the CAB (Antilock brakes system) with in turn sends it to the PCM via PCI Bus. From there it gets sent to the BCM via PCI and then onto the Dashboard via PCI.

Thia is done and installing a different motor won't affect the operation of the speedo at all. Nice!!!:cool:

The PCM continually monitors the crankshaft position
sensor to determine the engine speed, then
sends the proper engine speed messages to the
instrument cluster.

This might get tricky as I would need to split the signal to the aftermarket ECU and give the standard Jeep system a signal.

It might also be tricky to get an accurate reading as the previous motor and the lexus might have different cam speed at different revolutions? Or am I wrong will the cam speed be the same doesn't matter what type of engine it is?

Does anybody know anything about this?

Early 1uz have a different crank signal from the VVti UZ's. I doubt the Jeep would run the same trigger wheels. Which engine have you decided on? What trigger wheel does the jeep run?

What you can do is send a signal from the Spitronics rev counter out to the Crank angle sensor. Keep the earths from your original wiring on the motor, use your coolant temp sensor from the Jeep and just drill and tap an additional hole in the front water chanel. I am doing this with my Hilux. I will let you know how it goes this week.....

Gloverman will give you a lot more info mate . What auto have you got in there now . If your running the Lexus motor and box you won't need the jeep ECU . I reckon you would find it easier to install a standard throttle cable.

Your right I was mistaken on how the fly by wire setup works...:D

The Jeep runs a cable from the pedal to the throttle body there you will find a TPS and Servos to control cruise control etc.

That should make it easy to get the motor running:rolleyes:

What you can do is send a signal from the Spitronics rev counter out to the Crank angle sensor. Keep the earths from your original wiring on the motor, use your coolant temp sensor from the Jeep and just drill and tap an additional hole in the front water chanel. I am doing this with my Hilux. I will let you know how it goes this week.....

Thanks let me know how it goes

Early 1uz have a different crank signal from the VVti UZ's. I doubt the Jeep would run the same trigger wheels. Which engine have you decided on? What trigger wheel does the jeep run?

I will be installing a 1uz-fe. It's nice and cheap if something goes wrong and relatively straight forward.

Not to sure abou tthe trigger wheel?:eek:

But as far as I can understand the basic working of a crank positioning sensor is basically just a magnet that spins with the actual crank and a pickup that monitors the speed the crank rotates. Am I correct in saying that Crank rotations per second = Revolutions per second? Doesn't matter what engine it is?

If I had to take a stab at it I would say the there should be no hassles in using this signal for both the Jeep's ECU and the Spitronics system? What am I missing?

Last edited:
Which 1uz-fe? Early non VVti or later VVti?

Both have different crank triggers so give a different number of pulses per revolution. Different trigger wheels means a different signal.

Early 1uz is simple 12 teeth on the crank with single pulse from each cam.

VVti 1uz motronic with 36-2(If my memory is correct) with a single pulse from the front cam position. I dont think the VVti feedback sensors will have anything to do with revs.

So one revolution of a early 1uz will give 12 pulses whereas a later VVti will give 34(36-2) Hope this makes sense.

Jeep will likely have something different again. It may require just the crank but may also need the cam sensor before it generates the tacho signal. We need to know what jeep crank signal is. We have played this game a few vehicles now. Most of the time we have managed to remove the stock ECU and bypass the CAN to the dash. When signals/info is required for other vehicle systems it gets much harder. Im just starting on the setting up of CAN with aftermarket ECUs. I already use aftermarket ECUs to modify signals for other stuff around the vehicles , starting with simple stuff like Tachos and Speedos. Sometimes ABS like a tacho signal too. Check lights are generally pretty easy. Also generating the correct communication signal between ECU and separate ECT to make the trans behave correctly can take some research.

To be really helpful more info about each signal is needed. What signals are going where? and why? What do they effect etc. You have the manual. Research at the beginning can make a massive difference at the end.

Another option I have thought of with some jobs is changing the crank signal to match what is needed as long as the aftermarket ECU can be reconfigured to suit. Eg I could easily change a non VVti engine to a VVti crank signal and reconfigure the ECU I use to work. I have no issue sharing temp signals either(there is a trick to this)

AM racing. What model hilux are you doing? Whats the need to use the stock ECU?

Cheers

Thanks that's great info.

It makes a lot more sense now. One question with regards to the crank sensor and the amount of pulses it sends per revolution.

Would it not be easier to weld a standard Jeep pullyto the Lexus crank and pick-up the signal from there? IOW on top of the Lexus pully but only to pick up the crank signal?

What could go wrong except less space in from of the engine???

Fitting the Jeep trigger wheel and sensor may be one way of solving the issue. You need to know what signal the jeep PCM requires before making a decision. Does the tacho signal go through the CAN bus or supplied separately? What is the stock crank signal? reluctor? Hall? how many pulses? If its a 5 volt square wave(digital frequency) then using the aftermarket ECU tacho signal may work as long as this PWM can be adjusted to suit. If its reluctor the trigger points of a square wave may be too high or if its motronic then the aftermarket ECU may not be able to supply the correct signal.

As far as I can remember the tacho signal comes from the crank into the PCM
(don't know the way it gets measured yet, will do some research) from there it communicates a tacho signal to the "Body Control Module" (BMC) via PCI comms which translates the signal and sends it to the cluster via CAN bus.

Does that help at least?

Most of the other sensors works on a 5v supply that gets affected by the sensor and returns to the PCM to get measured. So I won't be surprised if it also works on 5v like you said.

I will have to do some more research to clarify the points you have raised.
Very nice info by the way it makes you think about how much is involved in doing a conversion of this sort. I know it's not impossible it will just take some time and effort + a lot of patience.

At least this won't affect the reliability of the Lexus V8 this will only be to get Jeeps tacho to show accurate revs. But I want to do this as well as possible so will definitely take your suggestion to hart.

Last edited: